Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Notchback, stock 302 bottom end,Comp XE274,TFS TW 205/164,GT40 intake,76/75 Turbo,Megasquirt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a short block that can take some boosted power. Have twisted wedge heads. Making 520 whp on a stock bottom end 302 now and I know it's a grenade with the pin pulled. Let me know what you have.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Looking for a short block that can take some boosted power. Have twisted wedge heads. Making 520 whp on a stock bottom end 302 now and I know it's a grenade with the pin pulled. Let me know what you have.
Not necessarily. Guys are running a lot more boost than you and the engines are living. Run a safe tune and keep the rpm's down. When or if it pops; replace it. It has to be a blast to drive. JMHO

·
Registered
1991 Notchback, stock 302 bottom end,Comp XE274,TFS TW 205/164,GT40 intake,76/75 Turbo,Megasquirt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not necessarily. Guys are running a lot more boost than you and the engines are living. Run a safe tune and keep the rpm's down. When or if it pops; replace it. It has to be a blast to drive. JMHO
It's definitely a blast to drive. I tuned it pretty conservative with a megasquirt PnP and don't powershift or launch too hard as well as short shifting around 6k, I just know the flow numbers on these heads with a 76/75 turbo should be good to 1100 hp and I know there's no way this block will survive more. I just don't want to be stuck without a backup ready to go. It is nice to get the thumbs up from liter bikes when you can keep up with them though!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It's definitely a blast to drive. I tuned it pretty conservative with a megasquirt PnP and don't powershift or launch too hard as well as short shifting around 6k, I just know the flow numbers on these heads with a 76/75 turbo should be good to 1100 hp and I know there's no way this block will survive more. I just don't want to be stuck without a backup ready to go. It is nice to get the thumbs up from liter bikes when you can keep up with them though!
I have a Precision 76/75 gen 2 sitting here. How is your turbo on the street with the XE274HR, TFS heads and GT40 intake? Did you notch the factory pistons for the larger intake valves?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Precision 76/75 gen 2 sitting here. How is your turbo on the street with the XE274HR, TFS heads and GT40 intake? Did you notch the factory pistons for the larger intake valves?
No notching done on the pistons, the bottom end has never been opened up. As far as driveability, it is extremely well mannered. I spent a lot of time tuning the megasquirt for street driving and it shows. I could easily daily drive it and have driven it in stop and go traffic for up to an hour at a time with no issues. I even recently added AC back to it with custom lines and relocating the accumulator to the driver's fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts