Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 72 now and my big horsepower days are gone. I want to put a Windsor 427ci engine w/cast iron heads for a cobra kit from FFR I plan to build. I want a low compression engine to use 87 octane gas. I will also use an EFI system instead of a carb. What kind of HP and torque can I expect to get? A ballpark number will be good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's going to depend on the cam, intake and heads used.
I can't imagine making anything less than 400hp without intentionally choking it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
in a light cobra, an iron head anything is fun. I'm working on one. Not mine, but I can't imagine it being much heavier than 2000 lbs. 289 in it, iron heads, it runs real strong, just signs off early around 5000 RPM and frankly that's fine for the owner, and would be for me too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Small block would handle lots better, 347 with aluminum heads and EFI would have much better weight distribution as well as civil street manners.

Jay

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
427w is fine, low compression is not. You can run 87 octane on 10:1 compression with no problems. Ive done several hundred of them over the years.

Cast iron heads your going to want the largest RHS heads you can find.

You'll never get 400hp out of a sbf with 87 octane. No one makes a solid out of the box head for a stroker sbf so you wont make much more peak power being a 427 over a 289 just a **** ton more torque. And power isnt what your after torque is.

You will have to get a custom cam and let the grinder know you want a screwed up choppy old school idle with maximum torque down low and no top end power since the engine never goes above 3500.

Being a cruiser you want a big heavy steel flywheel no aluminum or liggt weight. And a stock replacement clutch no aftermarket or mack daddy frictions. Witg that make sure you use stock type rubber engine and trans mounts - no solid or poly mounts.

Since your going EFI be sure you go with a digital pickup ignition as in NO DISTRIBUTOR as its significantly more reliable and doesnt require any maintenance. If a distributor is what you desire for the look then be sure to drill a hole to oil the cam gear. And if going distributor your best option is going to be a 94-95 mustang v8 automatic ecu even if its a manual trans which im sure it is being a cobra but ecu wise it doesnt matter since youll have to tune it. I would avoid any aftermarket ecus since none of them have precision low rpm control which is what your after.

Mass flo makes a carb type throttle body and maf setup if you desire that look.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You could just put a bone stock 351w and tell people it’s a 427 lol. Makes more sense than building a emasculated big cube sbf

It just seems so weird to try and do a cast iron headed 427. Even a super mild aluminum head will offer advantages over the cast iron. Weight being one of them. If you’re after the old school look, you could always paint them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You're 72 and you know what you want in your engine build... not sure why you're asking about numbers. An FF kit car is stupid light. An efi windsor is gonna make tons of torque. If you don't kill yourself you're gonna love it. You don't need any numbers. I have a station wagon that runs an eec-iv efi ford lightning windsor with cast iron gt40's and yes, it runs on 87 octane all day long. In the wagon it's fun... in a cobra kit it would be awesome. I am striving like you towards rolling burnout territory. The power level where you just mash the throttle while already rolling and wheelspin ensues. No clutch dump, no power brake, no hand-brake or park-brake shenanigans. Just instantaneous throttle over-steer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You'll never get 400hp out of a sbf with 87 octane. No one makes a solid out of the box head for a stroker sbf so you wont make much more peak power being a 427 over a 289 just a **** ton more torque. And power isnt what your after torque is.

You will have to get a custom cam and let the grinder know you want a screwed up choppy old school idle with maximum torque down low and no top end power since the engine never goes above 3500.
Huh? Lots of "small" heads do just fine on big inch Windsors...

·
Old timer
5,842 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Instead of a neutered 427w, why not a 390FE? Get the look of a true FE motor and not going to be a scorcher on the road. Plus it'll probably cost you less to rebuild a 390 than buying a 427w shortblock or building one from scratch.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Has to be a 427 because the Cobra guys 🤣, who gives a you know what about the Cobra guys, build whatever the hell you want, end of story, otherwise go ask the Cobra guys permission on what you can buy for “your” car

·
Registered
50 Posts
What the heck, I’ll bite.

given your parameters and experienced season of life, desire cast iron heads, and likelihood for a mature budget (complete stereotype based on your age and my average clients I’ve worked with) I’d put a set of worked over Cleveland heads on it.
Nice look, nostalgia/ cool factor, and can flow some serious cfm.
I’d work with your builder on the correct piston selection after the heads are done,
chambers are cc’d, and you can easily achieve your 87 octane goal.

That being said I’d agree with the general consensus... aluminum heads are a better bang for the buck.

My guess is you can remember and better appreciate the boss 302 and 351CJ mustangs in their hay day.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Has to be a 427 because the Cobra guys 🤣, who gives a you know what about the Cobra guys, build whatever the hell you want, end of story, otherwise go ask the Cobra guys permission on what you can buy for “your” car
There have always been "magic" combinations, and the 427 is one of them. Since there was a 427 AC Cobra, there is plenty of reason to follow tradition.

In my case I used a 618 H/P 418, which was more than enough to put my heart into aFib.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts