Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inheriting a car my sister bought in 86.. 4 speed, 302... First thing is new wheels.. will the 17X8 Pony wheels fit with NO modifications?? Or would I be better off with 16X7?? Are the oddball wheels on it only good for the Land fill?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
They may fit but might rub the control arms when going lock to lock on the steering wheel, rack limiters may help. Also, they may hit or rub the front wheel well opening because in 91 Ford went with a different fender for more clearance for the pony wheels. Do you have the wheels available to check fitment?
The TRX tri bar wheels are sold at LMR and are still being purchased for restorations, might be worth something if they are clean and no curb rash or corrosion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help and response... My understanding is the metric tires to fit the existing wheels are not available anymore?... I have not bought any wheels yet ( the car is still a maybe) just exploring options.. NOT interested in changing out the front suspension ( except for Ranger 5 lug discs) so wheels are limited. I do not want to keep the existing wheels if I get the car. Not sure on the wheels condition as my sister was/is a terrible driver..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Coker Tire does reproduce the original tire size. They are not cheap at $330 each.

Question for you is what style of wheels are you looking for? Many 4-lug wheels that are 15", 16" and 17" that will bolt right on. The key on the old foxes is not to go too wide with the rim and tire on the front if not replacing/modifying suspension.

I had a '83 back in the day and just went with the OEM 15" 10-hole rims.

For a few ideas...
IMG_0198.JPG Some Turbines I refinished (polished fins and lips)

20150602_214325.jpg A set of ROH ZR6, 16x7, 4-lug I refinished (and sold) 5 years ago

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, thanks to all for your help here...
I am not looking to do anything real fancy here, no super wide wheels or tires....
Without going to the newer sealed hub ( is this called N94? ) apparently alot of the newer wheels will not fit the large hub??
I want to upgrade to 5 lug, and I Like the pony wheels, but as said above " are there any 5 lug pony wheels made under 17" and not over 7" wide?
The 7.5" rear under the car has to be worn out, so 5 lug upgrade and 5 lug wheels seem to be the smart move now on my part when/if the rear is replaced....
At one time I had borrowed a 10 hole wheel and it did NOT look good on the car ( I like the 10 hole wheels too)
Thinking I might just use some 15X6 or 15X7 five lug mustang wheels at this point....

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
1994-1995 Mustang 16x7'" wheels are 5-lug and will work on the ranger style rotors with the large hubs.

Some 17x8 early ford wheels will also clear. 94-97 Cobra wheels, 94-95 tri-bars. Shouldn't be any issues out back at all, and up front you may need to add a steering rack limiter and run a smaller diameter front tire. Either a 235/45/17 or a 245/40/17.

·
Registered
88 Posts
On my fox I ran 235-55-17 was ok used one of the limiters they come in a package of 8 I think
there are some nice looking factory wheels that can be had cheap
when I sold the fox and kept the wheels they now on my 94
mustang_zpsj6wmznx2.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, thanks for all of the replys... Funny how all of the wheels I want seem to be the 4 lug pattern...LOL.. Maybe I should keep it?? IF everything goes ok, I would like to update this car with a 9" rear, so NO 4 lug in it...
I tried to buy these wheels, but after emailing with this guy ( craigslist) I cannot get him to respond to where they are and to arrange a pickup date... I don't spend any time with people who don't want to sell there items, I just move on..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So its in another area on here but I found some 4 lug pony wheels (16 X 7) with really decent tires for $125.. So I will concentrate on the engine and install a 5 speed first, then come back to the 5 lug wants on this car.. I can get rid of the fugly TRX Tri bar metric wheels and tires finally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts