Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra that needs a engine rebuild due to a skip in the timing chain. I want to keep the car with this engine.
I’m in Northern California, what shop can do this job? Will even ship car to SoCal or Vegas.
Thanks for your help!
AA430793-BD72-4C84-889B-40C04A973202.jpeg

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Find a motor out of a 03-05 Aviator. Get a 99/01 or Mach lower intake and get the adapter plate to put your upper intake on the C lower. Drop it in and roll. And you'll be C head swapped.

Reactions: MVK13

·
Registered
304 Posts
Honestly man, buy a built short block from a reputable builder and have the heads redone. I've been down several roads with these cars and in the long run it's the best option. The stock bottom ends just aren't worth it. The block and crank are the only things worth keeping and by the time you have the block bored and the crank turned it works out about the same.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Stock bottom is fine if you don't boost. I shift my JY 4V to 7k+ routinely. If you plan on boosting or throwing the sauce at it then yeah get a built one. Full exhaust/tuned C head 4V with 4.30s and a good suspension/tire setup is a wicked street machine tho.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Buy the time he bores the block, turns the crank, buys a set of pistons and rods he might as well buy a short block. Your not going to pay for a rebuild without buying new rods. The stock rods and pistons are junk. I've bent several rods and busted the ringland on 6 pistons. Take it for what it's worth but it's better to build that bottom end in the long run.

·
Registered
304 Posts
By the way, the original poster has a busted stock setup. Obviously it's not ideal. Spend a little more and not worry about it.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Eh, if you're NA you don't need to. If you busted several rods and broke a bunch of ringlands with a NA motor then your tune is ****. I'm seeing you have a S trim so guessing that you are not NA lol. Even then they can hold up but not revving as high as the 4V likes. Hell even the Terminators are known to break pistons because the Zollners that Ford used were THE cheapest forged pistons they could get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stock rods and pistons are junk.
I've been really happy with my 96 Cobra. Bought it new in Sept. of 1995. 20,000 miles, 640 drag strip passes, over 700 on the street and every time i get it out I get on it even if not racing. Every shift has been at 6,800 rpm. I couldn't ask for a more durable engine could I? Ported intake, Hooker headers, off road x, cold air intake and the perfect gears for racing ... 4.56's. Big T is the factory guy that assembled it. I call that a great little engine!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been really happy with my 96 Cobra. Bought it new in Sept. of 1995. 20,000 miles, 640 drag strip passes, over 700 on the street and every time i get it out I get on it even if not racing. Every shift has been at 6,800 rpm. I couldn't ask for a more durable engine could I? Ported intake, Hooker headers, off road x, cold air intake and the perfect gears for racing ... 4.56's. Big T is the factory guy that assembled it. I call that a great little engine!
Do you have any quarter mile times available?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Very minor mods/tune with 4.30s on a 96-04 NA 4V will get you into the 12s no problem if your suspension/tires are good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts