Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
What are these tubes we are talking about here? I am blanking in what that is referring to

·
Registered
122 Posts
Air tubes for the cats

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Ah. Gotcha.

in that case, I did not install the tube. My air pump and all the plumbing is deleted.

if you look at the Bassani catted x-pipe (which is what I have) the air tube enters after the cats, so it’s useless

7FD1FF51-1F4B-4890-94FF-3F5860C26F30.jpeg

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Ah. Gotcha.

in that case, I did not install the tube. My air pump and all the plumbing is deleted.

if you look at the Bassani catted x-pipe (which is what I have) the air tube enters after the cats, so it’s useless

View attachment 1071563
For those times you really want to make an effort... hahaha

·
Registered
422 Posts
I recently upgraded to BBK longtubes and cats behind my 331. Previously it had BBK shorties with an offroad x-pipe. It feels like it has a little more midrange, the exhaust is quieter and deeper, and most importantly the exhaust smell is much better

·
Registered
902 Posts
I need to install some cats to get rid of the smell and reduce noise if possible. Engine makes 475 RWHP or so with 2.5 inch exhaust. Whats a good, low profile unit to get? Those attached to the Bassani piece above look great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Modern 3-way cats store enough o2 in the brick to where they don't need supplemental o2 for the reaction. In fact, if too much o2 is provided, they will burn up (which is why the Basani above has the air post-cats).

If you have a 2-way with air injection tubes and you don't run o2 from the pump? Then they can't do the reaction (they don't store o2) and will clog/burn up...

Have to know what you have to know how to set it up.

I run a pair of these. No smell, surprisingly quiet (vs non-catted, when i was aligning the system up) and will last a while. 49 state cats don't have enough material in them to last very long - which is why they are so cheap.

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
The Lurker
904 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge. My set up is long tube headers directly into a Dr. Gas non catted X pipe. Borla Pro XS mufflers. No smog pump. What else do you need to know? Those Walker units are pricey. What about something like this Magnaflow? MagnaFlow 53956 MagnaFlow Universal Spun Catalytic Converters | Summit Racing
They are - when i got them they were $190/ea. The cost of palladium and other metals is through the roof right now, which is why used OEM cats are worth so much money right now (and theft is high).

It's just a supply/demand thing - plain and simple. It's also why the 49 state cats are cheap - they don't have any reactionary metals in them, and they become dormant pretty fast. Those walkers are CARB approved - which for our intents and purposes means they will last longer (the CA certification test is more stringent than the 49 state test - which is still far below the OEM EPA standard). So you can spend the money once, or you can spend it every few years when the 49 state cats go bad (or yearly if you drive your car a lot).

At this point, it's the cost to play the game. Overall, it's a few grand cheaper than an EPA fine if you get cited. That's where I stand at least.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
How would they know your 49-state cats are no longer functioning?

Here in my state (a very Cali-loving MA), converters are strictly a visual criteria. No actual sniffer test is done, and the hood isn't even allowed to be lifted. The inspector is happy, and at the rate I drive (100-200 miles per year) it's very possible that 49-state cats last me long enough to be useful anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How would they know your 49-state cats are no longer functioning?
If you live in a state w/ a sniffer test, then you would fail due to non-function status. As far as visual goes, obviously with them there (even if low functioning), you'll prob pass. All I can say is know your local laws.

I'm in a 25yr rule state, so I'm free and clear. But I run them because I hate the stench - so for me, it was worth it to do it once/right. Hence why I went with a CARB EO certed cat. I've had the 49 state cats and they were good for less than 2yrs of regular driving. My time for replacement is worth more than the cost difference (49 state vs EO) as far as I'm concerned.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts