Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for feed back on the easiest most user friendly and very easy to install emu system i perfer a new harness as i currently don't have one @ all because the car had ms3 before .looking for solid advice .holley terminator ? Pro m or something else .car is a 308 with a 76mm turbo full manual reverse valvebody c4 with trans break .thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You will most likely get ProM users supporting that product and Holley supporting that product.
Comes down to Maf vs Map the way I see it.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Terminator X has my vote. I’ve loved the ease of use and the support from user base is awesome!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've done FAST, Tweecer, chips, PMS, and Holley. No experience with Pro-M. Holley would be my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. Installation is straight forward. Software navigation is great. Support sources are awesome as was mentioned. A review of one of my past installations can be found here. I liked the system so much on my old car, I removed the dyno tuned chip and EEC-IV from my current car that ran perfectly and replaced it with Holley EFI.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
if you want it done correctly, get the pro m. it has everything you need built in. boost control, traction control, flex fuel with ease. built in nos, water meth injection.

if you want to install it and drive the car without going to a tuner, get the pro m. its more $$$ than the cheapo Holley systems but you definitely get your money worth.

if you want to hack up your existing harness, wire up your own relays and such, pull your hair out and get no where near as good results as you would with the pro m ootb, and end up having to go to a tuner anyway,
get $1000 Holley.

fwiw, my pro m runs my blown 408, e85 one day, pump gas the next, 26.5 mpg 100 miles round-trip to work. every day 6 days a week

in a couple weeks im putting different heads on. no tuning needed. no new fuel spark table

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
if you want it done correctly, get the pro m. it has everything you need built in. boost control, traction control, flex fuel with ease. built in nos, water meth injection.

if you want to install it and drive the car without going to a tuner, get the pro m. its more $$$ than the cheapo Holley systems but you definitely get your money worth.

if you want to hack up your existing harness, wire up your own relays and such, pull your hair out and get no where near as good results as you would with the pro m ootb, and end up having to go to a tuner anyway,
get $1000 Holley.

fwiw, my pro m runs my blown 408, e85 one day, pump gas the next, 26.5 mpg 100 miles round-trip to work. every day 6 days a week

in a couple weeks im putting different heads on. no tuning needed. no new fuel spark table
Post the list of different engine combos you’ve run with only changing bore and stroke as well, kind of amazing.

OP I also have a Pro-M and love it but the best advice I can give is to read the troubleshooting section of the forums for all the systems you are considering and decide what you are willing to deal with.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Post the list of different engine combos you’ve run with only changing bore and stroke as well, kind of amazing.

OP I also have a Pro-M and love it but the best advice I can give is to read the troubleshooting section of the forums for all the systems you are considering and decide what you are willing to deal with.
408, 331, 302 5spd, 302 auto, 302 sc, and multiple heads cams intakes, exhaust on every one of those engines. all i did was adjust low slope, idle speed, and change the bore and stroke in the ecu. over 20 engine combinations. all ran very well. if you like working and changing parts and trying new stuff, the pro m is at the top. ive actually had the engine in my car for over a year and ive got the itch again to do something else to it. thinking adding nos with a ti trim and a dart 427. all boost controlled by the pro m.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the pro m use any of the original wiring harness .is it plug and play main reason. Im asking is i have none of the original harness the cars had a half installed ms3 system when i got it it has since been sold

·
Registered
378 Posts
Both Holley and FAST can do most if not all of that. Not sure about the Flex Fuel and I'm too lazy to look it up. Using boost control on my current car. Adding a transbrake if the USPS would ever get their sh!t together and deliver it. Then I can use the boost building function.
if you want to install it and drive the car without going to a tuner, get the pro m
Installed two of these including converting the first one's ignition to CNP. Never went to a tuner and both cars ran great.
if you want to hack up your existing harness, wire up your own relays and such,
No hacking required. I used an adapter harness that I mated to the Holley EFI system. It plugs into the existing 60 pin EEC-IV harness. The Holley system can be removed and an EEC-IV can easily put back in should I ever want to. Both Holley and FAST offer harnesses of all shapes and sizes should you want to start fresh.
wire up your own relays and such, pull your hair out
Still got all my hair.
get no where near as good results as you would with the pro m ootb
I guess it depends on what your definition of "no where near" is but I think I'm at least close to where I would be vs Pro-M.
and end up having to go to a tuner anyway,
get $1000 Holley.
Still haven't been to a tuner. Don't plan on it. Haven't needed to.

All that being said, I do believe that a Mass Air system is better than Speed Density. From what I've seen, the Pro-M is a great system.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Both Holley and FAST can do most if not all of that. Not sure about the Flex Fuel and I'm too lazy to look it up. Using boost control on my current car. Adding a transbrake if the USPS would ever get their sh!t together and deliver it. Then I can use the boost building function.

Installed two of these including converting the first one's ignition to CNP. Never went to a tuner and both cars ran great.

No hacking required. I used an adapter harness that I mated to the Holley EFI system. It plugs into the existing 60 pin EEC-IV harness. The Holley system can be removed and an EEC-IV can easily put back in should I ever want to. Both Holley and FAST offer harnesses of all shapes and sizes should you want to start fresh.

Still got all my hair.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "no where near" is but I think I'm at least close to where I would be vs Pro-M.

Still haven't been to a tuner. Don't plan on it. Haven't needed to.

All that being said, I do believe that a Mass Air system is better than Speed Density. From what I've seen, the Pro-M is a great system.
sounds like you took the time to learn the ins and outs of your system, therefore learned to trust it. which is important.

my preference is the pro m. the parts are quality, the harness is made by ron francis, using ford connectors, and the install directions and set up has been made very simple.

the reason i always say ive never been to a tuner (just hp output) to tune my car is that every person ive seen or talked to who has a holley, fitech, msd etc or any other system except the pro m has had to go to the local tuners. therefore spending additional $$$ and time to get the most out of their system and in turn, costing about the same.

i cant speak for out of state tuner cost but here its a min of $500...
change intake...$500
change heads....$500
change exhaust....$500

so you can see for me, who isn't a tuner, and i really have no desire to learn about it, this is where the pro m shines.

if i wanted to take the time to learn what every aspect of a fuel or spark table has and have the car down, trying to tune making tweaks here and there i probably would've got something else.

i haven't touched the fuel/spark tables for any engine combination, supercharged or not, since i got the system. i was feel adventurous so i added another degree of timing in the presence of e85 though lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
sounds like you took the time to learn the ins and outs of your system, therefore learned to trust it. which is important.

my preference is the pro m. the parts are quality, the harness is made by ron francis, using ford connectors, and the install directions and set up has been made very simple.

the reason i always say ive never been to a tuner (just hp output) to tune my car is that every person ive seen or talked to who has a holley, fitech, msd etc or any other system except the pro m has had to go to the local tuners. therefore spending additional $$$ and time to get the most out of their system and in turn, costing about the same.

i cant speak for out of state tuner cost but here its a min of $500...
change intake...$500
change heads....$500
change exhaust....$500

so you can see for me, who isn't a tuner, and i really have no desire to learn about it, this is where the pro m shines.

if i wanted to take the time to learn what every aspect of a fuel or spark table has and have the car down, trying to tune making tweaks here and there i probably would've got something else.

i haven't touched the fuel/spark tables for any engine combination, supercharged or not, since i got the system. i was feel adventurous so i added another degree of timing in the presence of e85 though lol
How does the Pro M make / adjust the timing table? How do you know it is optimized? Is it what would be considered a canned tune? I have not taken my Terminator X to a "tunner" it runs pretty good but I don't claim it's perfect, just a work in progress. But I am having fun and learning.

·
Registered
348 Posts
[QUOTE="BigDumbRedneck, post: 18636301, member: 17974"

[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the Holley 60 pin adapter. I have never seen that. Part#?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used the Ford 007-00081 Rotunda EEC-IV Monitor Adapter to create my own plug and play harness. Need to move some pins around, shield some of the wiring, add larger gauge wire in a few places, etc.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
How does the Pro M make / adjust the timing table? How do you know it is optimized? Is it what would be considered a canned tune? I have not taken my Terminator X to a "tunner" it runs pretty good but I don't claim it's perfect, just a work in progress. But I am having fun and learning.

I suppose you could consider this a canned tune since the base load, fuel, and spark tables come with it. its not at all like a canned tune you get from bama or sct. it has worked on well in every one of my multiple engines.

as far as being optimized, im very happy with it as is. is there more power to be made, perhaps a few. but when i say ive had nothing but perfect drivability for every single one of my engine combinations, i wouldn't be lying.

In my driveway, everything out of the box, 408, afr 185 heads, Vortech v3, Anderson b31 cam....just about 600 to the wheels and amazing torque. thats with the stock tables that come with the pro m. the "tuner". wanted $1000 to retune it to be optimized. maybe i wouldve gained a few ponies but not worth $1000.

why would i buy an engine management system just for someone else who thinks x should be this and y should be that?

whats the point of using a calculator if you're going to count on your fingers?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I Have found a really good deal on a pro m harness and ecm from a friend how do i get the tune changed for my car ? Laptop or ? He installed then Changed directions with the car

1 - 20 of 63 Posts