Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to do a rebuild of the 90 Convertible. I'm at a point where I'm burning about a quart of oil every hundred miles.

The car is currently 100% stock with the exception of shorty headers, H-Pipe and Exhaust. I'm doing a stock rebuild with stock 9.0/1 compression. The car is a cruiser that my GF drives on nice days. She is not a car person so she won't put up with choppy idle or bucking while cruising around. It's more than fast enough for her so we're not changing anything. She has ridden with me in my 93 LX, 331, E303, AFR185's etc. and hates the car.

Does anyone know where I can find a Stock cam for the 87-93? I've looked everywhere.

Thanks,

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's time to do a rebuild of the 90 Convertible. I'm at a point where I'm burning about a quart of oil every hundred miles.

The car is currently 100% stock with the exception of shorty headers, H-Pipe and Exhaust. I'm doing a stock rebuild with stock 9.0/1 compression. The car is a cruiser that my GF drives on nice days. She is not a car person so she won't put up with choppy idle or bucking while cruising around. It's more than fast enough for her so we're not changing anything. She has ridden with me in my 93 LX, 331, E303, AFR185's etc. and hates the car.

Does anyone know where I can find a Stock cam for the 87-93? I've looked everywhere.

Thanks,
Rock Auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
253 Posts
Just stick a baby cam in it!

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,031 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone has a stock HO roller cam up here to sale you. Lol....I've got 1or2 myself but they are BURIED in tons of storage boxes. Would take days to find them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What makes you think the existing stock cam is bad? Remove and inspect it. It's more than likely fine

·
The Lurker
906 Posts
I have a couple too if you need one.

·
Registered
87 Gt 400hp Holley Terminator, Systemax 2, TW 170cc, N41, 6psi Powerdyne, 3:73
206 Posts

The car is currently 100% stock with the exception of shorty headers, H-Pipe and Exhaust. I'm doing a stock rebuild with stock 9.0/1 compression. The car is a cruiser that my GF drives on nice days. She is not a car person
I

so she won't put up with choppy idle or bucking while cruising around. It's more than fast enough for her so we're not changing anything. She has ridden with me in my 93 LX, 331, E303, AFR185's etc. and hates the car.

Thanks,
I just pulled the cam out of my 87 Gt recently and still have it you pay for shipping and it’s yours.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have F1ZE cam with very little witness marks on distributor drive gear - I am 100 miles south of O'Hare & could meet if that works for you...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Those early cams can be some of the best you can find...........
Really?? I never heard their being any difference in cams over 87-93 mine is a pretty early vin 87 Gt. Guess I should take the Anderson n41 out lol

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
Really?? I never heard their being any difference in cams over 87-93 mine is a pretty early vin 87 Gt. Guess I should take the Anderson n41 out lol
Yes, the early SD cams had more intake lobe duration. Ford got complaints about valve train noise and changed the cam. Read note 11 in this stock cam spec. My 88 SD cam came in at 219/212.5 @.050"

·
Old timer
6,201 Posts
Sorry Tom - but - after running dozens of stock cams on the Cam Pro, there are more differences in accumulated tolerances than specific years. Remember the now defunct NMRA Real Street class? Stock factory cams only. The best one I found came from a junkyard 1990 engine and it was quite different than what Ford claimed. After setting the class record, four times in a row, NMRA confiscated it saying it was illegal, even though it was 100% stock from Ford.

·
USAF retired
9,402 Posts
Sorry Tom - but - after running dozens of stock cams on the Cam Pro, there are more differences in accumulated tolerances than specific years. Remember the now defunct NMRA Real Street class? Stock factory cams only. The best one I found came from a junkyard 1990 engine and it was quite different than what Ford claimed. After setting the class record, four times in a row, NMRA confiscated it saying it was illegal, even though it was 100% stock from Ford.
What was different about it?

Reactions: vinnyc5566

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, the early SD cams had more intake lobe duration. Ford got complaints about valve train noise and changed the cam. Read note 11 in this stock cam spec. My 88 SD cam came in at 219/212.5 @.050" View attachment 1072868
Pretty awesome bit of info provided! I guess it makes sense I’ve always heard stories how the 87-88 SD mustang were faster than the 89-93 mass air cars when both stock but I never care to looking into it lol.

·
USAF retired
9,402 Posts
If anything they would be faster because they didn't have the tiny mass air meter on it.

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
You've been through way more than me, so I defer to your experience. I just know what I measured on mine and it seemed to align with what that cam spec sheet indicated. Sucks that they confiscated it and called it illegal. Specs on that cam would interesting to look at........

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I know Ed has stated many times the specs on the Ford OE cams are all over the place, but i hung onto the stock cam from my '88. Car ran strong when it was stock, so i figure if i do an OE-build down the road, i'll use that cam.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone has a stock HO roller cam up here to sale you. Lol....I've got 1or2 myself but they are BURIED in tons of storage boxes. Would take days to find them.
Super positive feedback for LilRed86 great guy easy to do business with and would highly recommend. I can’t wait to see what he does with 87 Gt speed density cam. He has a nice project brewing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts