Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I expect from bolting on an 8# crank pulley? I have a Diablo Predator tuner. What else should I buy? It's a bone stock 01 Lightning.
Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make a lot of heat. With my personal experience, I didn't gain anything by going to a 8# with the excessive heat it produced. I used a 4# pulley, C&L 95 MAF, 90mm Accufab throttle body and Diablo and went 8.19 @ 86... I actually went slower with the 8#er.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What should I expect from bolting on an 8# crank pulley? I have a Diablo Predator tuner. What else should I buy? It's a bone stock 01 Lightning.
Thanks!
you'll need to have the eaton ported, a MAF or MAFia, a good tune and some cooling mods for the i/c, and then of course the shift kit

·
Registered
220 Posts
an 8# pulley will give you a blown stock motor. like stated above stick with the 4#

·
Registered
69 Posts
it has alot to do with the tune. I had a buddy ran his stock 01 with over 100K miles with a 8lb lower and never had issues. this same truck ate 4-5 bottles of 125 shot with a 6lb lower lol. The truck finally bit the bullet at 179k miles. Personally just get a 6lb lower, ported eaton, BA2400 MAF or mafia and a quality tune and the truck should run low to mid 12s

·
Registered
68 Posts
Old thread but yeah, I blew 4 rods with just a 4lb and a canned tune. Folks should stick with a 4lb pulley, dyno tune, at least the 90mm maf and no double downshifting from the tranny if they want the stock block to last. These are expensive to build. I could've built 2 351w's for one 5.4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like stated above, I purchased a kit with a 10# pulley with Diablo can tune from a known modular upgrade supplier and made it just over 10k when 8 holes appeared in my engine block. I strongly suggest keeping your boost low until you put some forged rods in your ride. Parts alone cost me over 6k, just happy I can do the grunt work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry I am new to the site did not relize the post was so old. I figure by now I am sure you vented you engine in at least a few journals. I hope anyone who reads this understands that you can NOT put that amount of air in your stock lightning block without severe engine damage. I even spoke with the supplier that had sold me the great upgrade of larger lower pulley and can tune and was told just dont hold it WOT over150 mph. The 8k mistake

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol it will put a rod through the block. get 4LB lower, 6 lb MAX, port blower upper and lower,a good MAF, twin walboro 255, and a good CAI, and even a SBTB, a VB run tr6 plugs at .42 and get a good tune from someone that tunes mod motors and you will wake that truck the hell up. tune is most important part. anyone can tune a L, very few can do it right. secret is the trans pressure points.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts