Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
BBK SSI intake. There was a running thread here during the development of that intake. Once released, the performance and installation issues were disappointing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I installed 1 years ago on a 331 with AFR 165's and XE264 cam for a guy. He was NOT happy ended up changing the intake to a older edelbrock rpm and was night and day difference. Theres a reason they arent made anymore lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
I remember when these came out. It’s a design copy of the intake off the 99-04 twin port V6 3.8 Mustang made for a V8.

I also remember they never made much power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed 1 years ago on a 331 with AFR 165's and XE264 cam for a guy. He was NOT happy ended up changing the intake to a older edelbrock rpm and was night and day difference. Theres a reason they arent made anymore lol
Yeah, I totally understand that now!! I had never seen one before. I’ve been out of the hobby for a long time, and I’m just now getting my toes wet again. This website is a great tool and I knew someone would know exactly what it is haha. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I always thought it was designed to look a certain way and everything else was a compromise to support that look.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
"cross-ram"

·
Registered
339 Posts
For some reason I think it would have been way more effective if there was a throttle body on each side. If we think about air as particles, they would fill one plenum side entirely before crossing through that middle bridge and filling the other side entirely. Which would probably mean four out of eight cylinders would be lean until that air gets really moving. That's were the dual throttle body idea stems from. If there were a TB on each side, the airflow would be alot more even. This intake manifold looks a lot like the performance intake manifolds for the Infiniti/Nissan VQ37 3.7 V6 platform. Which leads me to think, are there any effective "cross-ram" style intake manifolds available in the aftermarket for any V8 (not only the 5.0L Windsor)?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Didnt the BBK SSI-R perform well? Its kinda like the trick flow box-R?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For some reason I think it would have been way more effective if there was a throttle body on each side. If we think about air as particles, they would fill one plenum side entirely before crossing through that middle bridge and filling the other side entirely. Which would probably mean four out of eight cylinders would be lean until that air gets really moving. That's were the dual throttle body idea stems from. If there were a TB on each side, the airflow would be alot more even. This intake manifold looks a lot like the performance intake manifolds for the Infiniti/Nissan VQ37 3.7 V6 platform. Which leads me to think, are there any effective "cross-ram" style intake manifolds available in the aftermarket for any V8 (not only the 5.0L Windsor)?
Yeah, the more I look at it and what you’re saying, that makes a lot of sense. Just have to wonder why BBK, or any other manufacturer for that matter, didn’t go with that plan. Maybe it underperformed so badly and they just didn’t sell enough of them to justify putting anymore R&D into the design.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
There are definitely some resonances in that intake that cause it to perform unevenly.

I plotted the data from this article comparing mild street intakes on a 302. It actually made the most HP (367) at the highest RPM, and would have kept going with a larger cam/heads/displacement. The torque curve is weird - up and down as the article notes. It could be an interesting project for someone knowledgeable in the art.

Reactions: 90trunk

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,080 Posts
BXR made such a dual TB experimental intake as I recall. An early Trick Flow intake might also have had two TBs. Anyone else remember in the event I am wrong?

Boy that's from way back in the days.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You are correct. And I am old. 😌

One of my friends had the BXR. I don't think he ever ran it. I remember it used a remote mount distributor.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts

They made multiple versions of that, using different plenum covers.

I think the other dual TB intake was from Jack Roush, but I don't think I ever saved a picture of that.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,080 Posts
Yeah I think I had the BXR and old Trick Flow horseshoe looking intake a bit confused. The BXR had a badazz review as I recall but it never took off obviously.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I recall it was well over $1k with that odd distributor drive system, which was $150ish alone.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,080 Posts
That sure did dominate an engine compartment! I seem to recall it did quite well HP wise but man I sure don’t recall what heads/cam etc they ran it with back in the day. That musta been some ~30yrs ago. I was in my mid-late 20s and would buy every MMFF and Super Ford mag that came out within days of it being available.

Aah memories. ......

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
buy every MMFF and Super Ford mag that came out within days of it being available.
I would sit and read them at the Barnes and Noble next to my haircut place, buy it if it had any relevant articles. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts