Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Every PWM controller description on their site states it, as does a few other controllers they offer.

"This controller Will Not Work using the following 2-speed O.E. Electric Fans: Dodge Viper, Ford Taurus, Ford Contour, or Lincoln Mark VIII. These fans exceed the amperage & functionality capabilities of this fan controller. "

What is strange though is the same statement can be found even on their high amperage dual fan controller. If the controller can't even handle Contour fans then I don't see how it is "High Amperage"

I think you are correct, the Mark VIII fan pulls higher amps.
I believe the reason all the companies have the disclaimer is due to the internet inflated amp draw the Mark VIII fan has been accused of.
There is a website for some dude that sells multiple relay controllers, and he has actual numbers of the steady state draw as well as inrush for the Mark VIII. I'll see if I can scrounge it up.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,423 Posts
I am using the Flex-a-lite 31163.
I came in here to recommend the exact same one. This controller works great. The thread-in probe is the best way to sense temperature for fan operation. I tapped & threaded my thermostat housing. Worked perfectly all the time.

·
Registered
91 GT, 302 with twisted wedge heads, XE270HR-12 cam, track heat intake, 30 lb injectors
12 Posts
I believe the reason all the companies have the disclaimer is due to the internet inflated amp draw the Mark VIII fan has been accused of.
There is a website for some dude that sells multiple relay controllers, and he has actual numbers of the steady state draw as well as inrush for the Mark VIII. I'll see if I can scrounge it up.
This is just one data point, but I measured my single speed Mark VIII fan at 44.5 amps with a clamp ammeter at steady operation. I use the DCC relay based fan controller with 60 amp relays and it has been working great for 10 years and counting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just an update. I ordered the fk45 on 6/11. I emailed Brian to ask what controller I needed for my application, and he replied within 2 hours. The controller and accessories arrived yesterday 6/29. It’s been a great experience for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Brian & I both have actual measured numbers for the Mark VIII.
Relay controlled, it's 105A starting current (inrush), 42A running current, both at 14.4V.
PWM (soft start) is 65A starting current (max).

Dual Contour fans are much less. With the FK-35, 30A (15A ea) is maximum.

Reactions: tjm73

·
Registered
759 Posts
Brian & I both have actual measured numbers for the Mark VIII.
Relay controlled, it's 105A starting current (inrush), 42A running current, both at 14.4V.
PWM (soft start) is 65A starting current (max).

Dual Contour fans are much less. With the FK-35, 30A (15A ea) is maximum.
Good information, thank you.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Good information, thank you.
Yes. Very good. I also thank you for sharing the info.

This thread has caused me to look more closely at my Contour fan setup and I discovered it's got room for improvement. I am now planning to re-address it. My car came to me with the fans and they are not wired optimally. They don't have any sort of soft start at all. Just key on and they are on at full blast, on high I think, all the time. Which may explain why I never seem to get near what I expect is a the normal operating temp.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes. Very good. I also thank you for sharing the info.

This thread has caused me to look more closely at my Contour fan setup and I discovered it's got room for improvement. I am now planning to re-address it. My car came to me with the fans and they are not wired optimally. They don't have any sort of soft start at all. Just key on and they are on at full blast, on high I think, all the time. Which may explain why I never seem to get near what I expect is a the normal operating temp.
....and you're hammering your alternator as well as the fan motors themselves.
I've posted this before, ya'll check the actual strength of your electric fan motors, especially if they came from a JY or you bought them with no idea how old they are.
I bought my VIII fan from a seller with great reviews on ebay. It never pulled as much air as I thought it should. I replaced the motor with a new one and sure enough, the original was weak.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts