Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Ford Contour dual fans on my 91 fox body. The fan controller I bought from LMR was not suitable for the contour fans and was blowing the fuse everytime the fan triggered to come on. I'm wanting to go with the best and order a DCC controller. I have upgraded my alternator to 3G. I don't know which unit to get...the FK45, FK75 or FK95. I've tried reaching out to them via email and phone but haven't heard anything back. I have read that they don't communicate well and that it will likely take 2 months to receive, which is fine. What unit is recommended? It's my understanding that the main difference is how many amps it can run at continuous current. Also, will I need the input filter (website says it is required to run ford low-impedence dual fans) since it is ford contour fans? My knowledge of electronics is limited, so excuse my ignorance. I have searched google and this forum with no luck. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
This doesn't answer what you need to know about which model of DCC, However I ran into the same issues when I wanted to order one. Little to no feedback and extended unknown delivery time frame. I ended up going to this.

I've ran that controller for 6 years with a big single Taurus fan and currently dual contour fans. I'm super hard on my car (open track and 100* summer driving) it's never failed or given me any issues at all. The install was super easy, minimal, and it works well. The soft start as it doesn't shock the car's charging system.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This doesn't answer what you need to know about which model of DCC, However I ran into the same issues when I wanted to order one. Little to no feedback and extended unknown delivery time frame. I ended up going to this.

I've ran that controller for 6 years with a big single Taurus fan and currently dual contour fans. I'm super hard on my car (open track and 100* summer driving) it's never failed or given me any issues at all. The install was super easy, minimal, and it works well. The soft start as it doesn't shock the car's charging system.

I use that same controller with a screw in temp sensor. Works great and has A/C sens control.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2 more points to add to the controller NitrousSCC posted...

i have used that controller and it works great.

- when you key on, there is a 5 sec delay before the fans kick on. This is nice as you wont have the additional 40amp load on the battery when the starter is cranking. (This also saves me from having to add a time delay relay to the ciruit.)

- the controller will also run for ~30sec or so after the car is off which helps disperse ambient heat and subsequent heat soak.

-as NitrousSCC mentioned when the controller turns on at tue preset temp, the controller starts at about 60% (cant remeber exactly but its somewhere around there) and ramps up to 100% over the next 10grees. This eases the load on the charging system.

-there is also an A/C trigger override that will turn the fans on automatically when the compressor engages.

-theres also a manual on and manual off ground input which is handy for track and turning purposes

i actually use this controller in conjuction with the holley sniper... i use the ground override input with the sniperfan trigger out... i also use the temp probe (set much higher than the sniper activation temp). This allows the sniper to turn the fans on and the temp probe will keep them on for the period of time after the car is off.

here it is on a 71’ Mach One with dual electric fans and holley sniper setup... couple pics of the controller and 40amp fuse setup

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just installed the Delta Current Control FK45 with contour fans, that is what DCC recommended. The only other thing I purchased was a split wiring loom ($5) to connect to the wires on both fans. Easy install. The product is great, the customer service needs work. Took about 5 weeks to get it from the time I sent the PayPal.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
FK45 on both my cars (93 lx 2.3 and 92 GT). Contour fans on both. So far, no issues. Install is pretty easy. Directions are slightly hard to follow but if you have any electrical savvy at all, you can figure it out in 5 minutes or less. I would suggest pulling the radiator and installing the fans/controller/a lot of the wiring while the radiator is out, makes for a nicer install and potentially more reliable wiring connections. Then it's just tapping to a batt + and - source and A/C, and override if you want it. I'm thinking about doing an override from the EEC but haven't planned it out much (tuned via quarterhorse, so the fan on temp can be adjusted).

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am using the Flex-a-lite 31163 (same as above, different temp probe) and it works very well. All of the great features mentioned above, and with the overide feature I am allowing my Pro-M ECU to control the fans yet I still have the soft start feature and the delayed turn off when the car is shut down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the input from everyone. Not sure what I will do yet but leaning towards the DCC controller

·
Registered
601 Posts
FK45 on mine with Contour fans, works like a champ.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
The Derale units specifically say they will not work with higher amp fans such as the Contour fans.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The Derale units specifically say they will not work with higher amp fans such as the Contour fans.
Here is where I make a post that I always look at with a wary eye (as in "I've been driving my car with XYZ for years and no issues" in response to negative comments on XYZ)
I've been using the Derale PWM controller on my Mark VIII fan with no issues. In Fort Worth, Texas.
In the summertime.
I have no proof, but I suspect the Contour dual fans don't pull anything near the amps that the VIII fan does.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Where does it say that? The contour fans don’t draw over 65 amps running do they?
Every PWM controller description on their site states it, as does a few other controllers they offer.

"This controller Will Not Work using the following 2-speed O.E. Electric Fans: Dodge Viper, Ford Taurus, Ford Contour, or Lincoln Mark VIII. These fans exceed the amperage & functionality capabilities of this fan controller. "

What is strange though is the same statement can be found even on their high amperage dual fan controller. If the controller can't even handle Contour fans then I don't see how it is "High Amperage"

Here is where I make a post that I always look at with a wary eye (as in "I've been driving my car with XYZ for years and no issues" in response to negative comments on XYZ)
I've been using the Derale PWM controller on my Mark VIII fan with no issues. In Fort Worth, Texas.
In the summertime.
I have no proof, but I suspect the Contour dual fans don't pull anything near the amps that the VIII fan does.
I think you are correct, the Mark VIII fan pulls higher amps.

Reactions: thadude

·
Registered
601 Posts
The contour fans only pull between 30 and 35 amps at full load. If you run them both on high speed they will pull nearly 70 amps of inrush current at startup and then ramp down. The beauty of my FK45 PWM controller is that I only see 7 to 10 amps on start and have never had the unit go full load. My temperature gauge doesn't moves once the fan is called for and data shows less than 3 degrees of variance after idling in the driveway for 30 minutes. Best investment I've made.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts