Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warped Draglite? (pic)

When my passenger side rear studs broke off, I think it might have warped one of the 4 holes on my Draglites. I don't want a repeat performance of this, but I'm thinking what are my chances of complaining to Summit for recommending 4.5" BS instead of 5.5" BS which with the 4.5" BS that I have now rubs a lot when other passengers are in the car, even after rolling fenders. They just stick out too much. Any advice? Thanks guys. Here's the pic..

-Marty

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
that doesn't look great, but it looks like you could 'move over' to another set of 4-lug holes.

On my rear centerlines, I have a little bit of annoying 'stretch' going on which I'm sure one day could be a disaster! lol!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know on my Drag Lites you can't move to the other 4, they are a differrent bolt pattern.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
As long as you torque down your wheel lugs to 85-90ft/lbs, you should be fine. Make sure you tighten them after the first 100 miles, and once a week therafter. Can never be too careful.

I can't see anything too wrong with those.

CHP, you can't use the 2nd set of holes, different bolt spacing.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Haha, thats a good one, complain to Summit about their recommendation....Yeah right, good luck, I guess if you go for it...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe: hopefully you nor I get screwed in the future, heh that wouldn't be fun. Any luck finding a 351W block out of a truck?

Ian: I think you're right man. After I bolt up my wheels I'm definitly going to retorque them a 100 miles later. I must remember to do it weeks from now also. That will be the best way to ensure the studs don't snap off again.

Me and my neighbor threw my rear axles in his truck and went down to his dad's shop. We did the same method you suggested with the socket, washer, and the lugnut. After using an impact wrench the stud is on real snug. Couldn't do that with a hammer! heh.. I'm proud of how clean this repair is turning out.

my8950: I'm not sure man. I think I'm going to take some pics of the outer edges of my Drag Radials and say why are my tires rubbing with the backspacing you suggested? And just try to argue my point or something. But that's for later, still need to get c-clips in, pinion shaft, bolt cover on, refill gear oil, and finish up my aftermarket carpet install. I'll post a thread if/when I call Summit Racing.

-Marty

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup rtz, I put in new 3" studs from this local racing shop, Gutelli's (sp). They were like 15 bucks for a pack of 4.

The lugs that I already had ordered from Weld were already open end luckily, They fit perfectly with the studs that I got. Only problem is when 3 of my 4 stock studs snapped off that I lost one of the lug nuts.. need to order one, or I guess 4 since they might only come in that size.

BTW: An impact wrench is required to get a stud into an axle plate.. Put stud in, put socket on other size of axle stud, put a FEW washers over that, and then the open end lug nut threaded on there, and just mash the hell out of it with an impact wrench while a 2nd person slams it with a hammer just to help it in. Worked like a dream today.

-Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts