Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had valvetrain clatter on this engine through 3 different sets of heads, 4 different set of rockers and 3 different sets of hydraulic lifters. This build has AFR 165 heads 7/16 stud, Comp Ultra Magnum Pro rockers, FMS H lifters and a semi conservative Ed Curtis cam. Pretty decent parts. Engine runs really great, but the valvetrain noise is a bit annoying. I use 10w30 conventional oil.
On assembly I measured carefully for pushrod length and got a nice narrow, centered pattern with a 6.40 length. I adjusted to zero lash on base circle using the “spin it 90* and zero lash all” method. I did 4 complete crankshaft rotations stopping every 1/4 turn to ensure I had all at zero lash and no preload in the lifter cup. Then I went around and gave each lifter 1/2 turn preload tightening the polylock with it on the last little bit of the turn. No unwanted contact anywhere that I could see.
That all sounds right....right?

So today I have some free time, I figure I’ll pull the upper and valve covers and check my valve tip wear to confirm proper pushrod length, and assuming everything looks ok give the lifters another 1/4 turn preload.
Any other suggestions before I dig in? I’m half-assed wondering if I should just loosen up all the rockers and start over again using the more traditional “exhaust open-intake closed” method of zero lash, but it should end up with the same result.

I’m not expecting complete silence, but trying to get it as best as I can.
And it is definitely valvetrain, not header leaks etc.

·
USAF retired
9,347 Posts
Some of the more aggressive lobes are going to make some noise, wrong pushrod length and preload can make it worse.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Some noise is normal.

This is the correct way to set preload. Use the rotate the pushrod with your fingers method to find zero lash then 1/2 to 5/8 turn.

I tighten the set screw by hand at 1/2 then turn the set screw and nut together to 5/8

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The valve covers amplify any valvetrain noise. I went through the same thing until I realized it's the nature of the beast. Something I do is use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope. With engine running; put the tip of the screwdriver on the valve cover above each cylinders rockers. Hold the handle of screwdriver against you ear. As you move from cylinder to cylinder; take notice if any are louder than the others. If they all sound alike; it's most likely the nature of the beast. If any cylinders stand out; I'd adjust the lash of all valves via the conventional method and give them a listen again.

Reactions: kjb302ho

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I’m familiar with all the above comments and suggestions. I’m in the garage now and have the upper and VC’s off and plugs out.
I guess I’ll go the high road and loosen off the rockers, check pushrods for any unusual wear, check valvetip pattern and set preload to 3/4 turn using the conventional ICE method.
Back in a couple hrs to let you know if it made a difference.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You learned that screwdriver trick back on the farm didn't you? That's an old one nobody ever brings up.:cool:
Yes sir! Farmers are pretty creative with the few dollars they have.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
My 5/16" bolt-down Cobra rockers were noisy as heck with 1/2 turn. At 3/4 turn they were acceptable. 0.75/18 (TPI) = 0.0417

7/16-20 stud requires 0.83 turn to achieve the same preload (0.0417 * 20)

I did 3/4 turn on the 428w when I set up the valves (7/16-20 studs) and it's been acceptably quiet from jump-street. Mind you I'm using heavy cast aluminum valve covers (vs stamped steel) and even though cam is considerably larger, the ramps are a couple degrees softer from advertised to 0.050" lift.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
my valvetrain quiets down at when the temp hits approx. 140 deg.

They are noisier than I like up to that point. I am running link bars though, consensus is they are always considerably noisier.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got her all back together. Seems a little quieter but will go for a long drive in a bit to test it out. Noticed that one rocker was slightly misaligned on the tip, so was good to spot that. Also exhaust lifters on #6 and #7 were easy to push down while I was adjusting. The rest were all pretty solid. Maybe I have a couple of bum lifters.
Everything else looked good as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meh, no real difference. Guess I’ll try to live with it.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
sure there is no interference with retainer?

·
The Lurker
904 Posts
Like others have said, some of the cams ramps will make more noise than others. If your cam was delivered in a Comp box, it probably was at least an Extreme Energy lobe. I'm assuming of course. I've heard more than once, Comp are noisier than just about any other brand. Have you tried running a lighter weight oil in it?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sure there is no interference with retainer?
No interference anywhere and no signs of contact anywhere. Except the rocker end of the pushrod. The very tip of that end has worn away the black anodized finish from contact with the cup of the rocker but I assume that’s normal. The rockers and pushrods are Comp Cams, so I would think they’re compatible. The tip is still smooth, just discolored.

Like others have said, some of the cams ramps will make more noise than others. If your cam was delivered in a Comp box, it probably was at least an Extreme Energy lobe. I'm assuming of course. I've heard more than once, Comp are noisier than just about any other brand. Have you tried running a lighter weight oil in it?
It’s an Ed cam, but I think he uses Comp cores. Doubtful it uses the XE lobe as one of my criteria for the custom cam was a quiet valvetrain.
It drives nearly perfect and I’m still using the tune from the last combination, so once the tune is updated it should be just stellar. Other than the clackity-clack.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Sounds are always somewhat subjective. Hyd rollers with roller rockers have always just sounded like sewing machines to me. They’ll make a little noise, but nothing ridiculous.
my valvetrain quiets down at when the temp hits approx. 140 deg.

They are noisier than I like up to that point. I am running link bars though, consensus is they are always considerably noisier.
Mine makes a little clatter, but it quiets down well before 140 degrees. I usually only notice on a cold start in the cooler months.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
been through this in the past a few times.

every single time, FMS hydraulic rollers. They were all noisy. I took a few of the clickity lifters apart and cleaned everything up, reassembled and sometimes they'd shut up sometimes not-if not, replaced them. Most of the time, junkyard lifters. Real similar build too. AFR165, Ed cam, RPM II intakes. Ran really well once I was able to make the lifters shut up. Cold it was mostly quiet. Once it got hot, they'd start rattling. Pull the covers off while hot and a grab a few of the rocker arms, and was able to compress the lifter plunger by hand at tdc/compression stroke. They should not do that.

the ramps on the cam and the pro magnum lifters, they're gonna make SOME noise. But shouldn't be much. Some valve covers will emit more noise than others as well.

my 427 (accidental 427) windsor, drop-in retrofit hydraulic rollers...silent. Rockers make a LITTLE noise, but the exhaust passing through the primary pipes in each header drown out the rockers, you have to listen very hard to hear the rockers.

after doing the morel drop in hydraulic rollers and comparing to stock style dogbone hydraulic rollers, if the budget is there I'd just as soon use morels again, even if it's a factory roller block. I've done them both ways and like the retrofit drop in link bar setup better.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sounds are always somewhat subjective. Hyd rollers with roller rockers have always just sounded like sewing machines to me. They’ll make a little noise, but nothing ridiculous.

Mine makes a little clatter, but it quiets down well before 140 degrees. I usually only notice on a cold start in the cooler months.

I always start my car in the garage with the hood open and laptop connected. I listen to the engine and other things under the hood for a minute or two, listening under hood mine noticeably quiets down at 120 deg.

I pull the car out and start driving at 140 deg.

That's been my pre-flight check routine for years and years.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I really cant tell i have roller rockers

stock cam, mind you, and SVO rockers from the '90s

I cold start, put it in 1st and go, no warm up

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just finished up my HCI install with a cam from Ed with Comp lifters, trickflow heads and rockers and have no valve noise at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts