Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are you happy with the numbers? I would have guessed 750.
Rob,

This is preliminary/break in numbers, the data suggests that 750ish will be where it finishes off, but we'll see.

As you can see in the video, the XP 950 E85 carb was no where near calibrated for the motor out of the box. It will be getting worked. I'll update progress is made.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would like to see it with a significantly larger carburetor and a fully ported intake done by somebody knowledgeable. If anything is holding it back it is those two things
Not sure if you saw this video: CSM Racing Engines
All the intake ports, runners, and radius's and area underneath the plenum are extensively worked by hand, the intake is not holding it back. This team definitely knows what they're doing!

We are getting the carburetor sorted out and that will definitely give the motor what its asking for in terms of fuel/air.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There were mumbling‘s going around about how certain people didn’t like the new 950 Holley carb because it wasn’t making numbers on the dyno and not running numbers on the track. There was talk about the shape of the Venturi and transition to the throttle blade diameter not being ideal. It was on speed talk awhile back.

If it was simply the old much smaller 950 hp (750 main body/Venturi diameter) it would just be radically too small for the combo and acting as a restrict or plate.

By fully porting the intake I am talking about milling the plenum to open it up radically. Maybe even doing some welding to make it work. A properly done sheet metal dual carb intake on an awesome build like this and he could likely meet or very well surpass his 750 hp goal.
65fasback,

We've heard similar mumblings on the Holley XP/HP 950 carb. We'll most likely be sending out to CSU to have it gone through.

As for the heads; we were wondering if the TFS Twisted Wedge 225R,s can support 800 NA? I've heard of the Highport 240's surpassing that number, but we'll find out. Thoughts/impressions on the 225 R's vs. Highport 240's?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The 950 uses a smaller baseplate than an 850. Read this:

I dont think having it tuned by CSU or anyone else is going to make it work like you expect.
Makes sense, also kicked around dropping to an 850 CFM. The benefit of an engine dyno allows to test many combos and see what works best. Thanks for the article.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As for the heads; we were wondering if the TFS Twisted Wedge 225R,s can support 800 NA? I've heard of the Highport 240's surpassing that number, but we'll find out. Thoughts/impressions on the 225 R's vs. Highport 240's?
Brian Tooley says latest High Ports are better than R's, depending on what he means by custom casting (i.e. if it's what you can get today...)

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
332 Posts
Not sure if you saw this video: CSM Racing Engines
All the intake ports, runners, and radius's and area underneath the plenum are extensively worked by hand, the intake is not holding it back. This team definitely knows what they're doing!

We are getting the carburetor sorted out and that will definitely give the motor what its asking for in terms of fuel/air.
I thought it was just a port matched intake. The intake you describe and the one shown in the video are exactly what I was talking about. A fully ported intake is usually worth a good amount of power on a build like yours. Good job!

Be open to suggestions on the carburetor once you send it in. I personally prefer to get my carburetor from a specialty shop and fine-tune from there. After researching E 85 for a possible future build I would certainly look to a specialty shop VERY familiar with E 85. You rarely ever hear anything good about out of the box generic Holley E85 builds. Unless something has changed recently. Most people play with them for a while and then end up sending them to a specialty shop and finally get good results. Hope you are able to find some nice gains with some changes to the carburetor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
65fasback,

We've heard similar mumblings on the Holley XP/HP 950 carb. We'll most likely be sending out to CSU to have it gone through.

My thoughts and opinions aren’t worth much. All I know is there is a lot more data and a lot more use of the Highport head versus the R head. Whether this is due to class rules racing or potential is for others to debate.

I have a set of Canfield 195 heads which are basically a copy of the high port head and a pair of all out twisted wedge heads (Ti valves, milled to 40cc chambers, extensively hand ported by Brian Tooley). Two totally different designs. It would be interesting to hear Brian Tooley’s take on the two heads for a combo like yours. He was the big dog at trick flow when this stuff was coming out in different ported forms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My thoughts and opinions aren’t worth much. All I know is there is a lot more data and a lot more use of the Highport head versus the R head. Whether this is due to class rules racing or potential is for others to debate.

I have a set of Canfield 195 heads which are basically a copy of the high port head and a pair of all out twisted wedge heads (Ti valves, milled to 40cc chambers, extensively hand ported by Brian Tooley). Two totally different designs. It would be interesting to hear Brian Tooley’s take on the two heads for a combo like yours. He was the big dog at trick flow when this stuff was coming out in different ported forms.
Ahh Makes sense,

I've seen that the High Port evolved into a much better head than the TW-Rs over time. As for the Canfields and TWs, what are you running them on?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since my car is light with a fair amount of rear gear and a manual transmission I only play around with smaller displacement stuff. That and I really don’t want to tear into this car too bad to turn it into a safe and legal vehicle for single-digit quarter mile runs.

Canfields are on a little pump gas 289 bored .060 with a solid roller. Street/ strip toy. Just a little experiment back in the day to see what good induction (at the time considered way too large) would do. 11.12 and 122 mph in the 1/4.

Twisted wedges are from an old Fun Ford Weekend all motor 310” class racer (Ronnie Mallet by memory). They went 9.60’s with a manual at class weight. Got them for the right price and am planning to put them on a higher compression and rpm 310 E85 build. At that point the Canfield motor will go in a ‘64 Falcon convertible project I have.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts