Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I found out that its not hard to swap to 4v heads out from navigator, all it need to do is to swap them and retune the engine with no need to change the ecu or anything (correct me if Im wrong). But the question is which is better ?? trick flow heads with stage 1 or 2 cams, Or ported 4 valve heads with stock cams. Neeed your help guys I'm starting a rebuild for around 700whp. If any Tips would be appreciated. btw the engine is sitting on 2003 mustang

·
Registered
12 Posts
The OE heads ported have better airflow results than the stock trick flow heads, this holds true until you purchase a ported set of trick flow heads then trick flow is the way to go. Depends on how deep you pockets are, the trick flow ported heads are expensive. If you willing to spend the coin trick flow ported with upgraded cams will be a monster, on the flip side fully ported OE heads stage 3 port with stage 2 cams will be just as close to a monster as the trick flow but for half of the cost.

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
There's more to doing a 4V conversion besides changing the heads and tune. You're going to need different headers and intake/midplate as the ports are completely different.

Reactions: Josh843

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's more to doing a 4V conversion besides changing the heads and tune. You're going to need different headers and intake/midplate as the ports are completely different.
also timing cover and pulleys and much much more. if it was that easy youd see 4v L's all day long. then after you do get to 4v, like mentioned mid plate and ll that. most go 4v turbo at same time because while it will make a difference to go from 2v to 4v, its not worth the trouble/hassle just to keep the heaton and go 4v. unless you do it in stages - this year go 4v, next year go turbo, so on and so on. if you just want more cfm's go with jlp xr heads. had them on my built L and they flow pretty damn good for a 2v. prob close as you can get to stock navis or whatever 4v heads you want. pleanty of places do great port work, TEA, JLP, even a local machine shop with a good rep. but the JLP XR heads are a proven 2v head, at one time if not still, fastest 2v L period. plus its direct swap, they port the #### out of the factory 2v PI heads.

Reactions: Ehardy1971

·
Registered
504 Posts
As mentioned, it's a lot more then just taking the 2v head off and putting the 4v head on, so IMO the Trick Flow head is the way to go. Don't pay $2200-2800 for a set of factory heads with a port job. Some of these companies act like they're some super rare barn find, when they don't even flow as well as the 96-98 Cobra heads. There are advantages out of the actual design with the Trick Flows that you can not get with any factory 2v casting, it's not just porting. Even if it was, the Trick Flows outflow pretty much any set of ported factory 2v castings I've seen, and they can be ported also. The idea of paying $2200-2800 for factory 2v castings when you could just have the Trick Flows leaves me scratching my head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts