Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
you did have the SPOUT disconnected, right?

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
set at 10 BTDC and leave it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So it will only start with the distributor turned almost al the way to the left..close to the thermostat..the light reads at like 25 ...30 ...if I turn towards 10 it dies and will not start ...spout was out..everything was set right prior to start up....tdc..0 mark..compresion stroke...
What I have also just found is im geting zapped by my wires when I turn the distributor...wires look good but will change them..would this cause the problem...also noticed only have on screw holding the coil...and its an msd...should that be grounded better with all 4 screws or does that matter...should I just put the stock one on

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
if you are getting zapped, obviously you have spark energy escaping

if you dont have spark at the plugs, due to this, what do you think?

to me, sounds like you do not have the dist correctly installed

99.99999999999% of the time you read threads like this, after the dist has been taken out, then reinstalled IT HAS NOT BEEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here’s the easiest way to get the timing spot on EVERY TIME.

Instead of putting #1 piston @ TDC & dropping the distributor in do this.

Put #1 @ 10° BTDC on the balancer & drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing @ #1.

Put the timing light on it with the SPOUT out & it’ll be spot on 10°.

Do you have the throttle body screw set properly?

Did you check for possible large vacuum leaks?

Assuming this is a factory computer?

Are the o2’s plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It'll idle without O2s. It's in open-loop mode at that point. Just an FYI...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's what you need to do on new combos like this. You already figured out how to keep the car running... you put your foot on the throttle. So crack the throttle blade way open for now to get more air into the engine. Start it up, set timing correctly. Then back off the throttle stop slowly until the idle starts to stabilize where it should be. I wouldn't mess with anything else until trying that.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts