Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
15,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something I've noticed and many others have brought up to me is that this forum seems to be a "catch-all" for all mustang parts.

What I would like to do with your effort is keep this strictly to "Windsor Engine" parts.

Items that do not belong here are:

MSD ignitions, Coils, Injectors, Mass-air meters & harnesses, engine management systems are ELECTRONICS. Alternators & Distributors could swing either way.

Gears, driveshafts, torque convertors, clutches, shifters are DRIVETRAIN.

Headers, cat-backs, h-pipes are EXHAUST.

Anything suspension-wise obviously goes in SUSPENSION.

Lights, wings, hoods are EXTERIOR.

Nitrous, blowers, turbos would obviously be POWER ADDERS

I don't think I need to mention that you shouldn't be selling parts for a '99GT, '96 V6, or anything like that.

Of course as always I'm open to suggestions and will make adjustments.

One item was fuel pumps etc. Could this site benefit from the addition of a "Fuel systems" forum, where we could have Pumps, Injectors, Carbs, Fuel Rails, etc. etc.? There's no set place where that item (pump) really belongs...it's electric...but still.

Please keep this forum strictly to: engines, pans, valve covers, cranks, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, bolts, caps, blocks, heads, intakes, rockers, water pumps, gaskets, pullies, and the likes.

Again, we appreciate the help, and will do what we can to accomodate. The floor is open to suggestions.

Finally, if something is moved or closed, please by all means do NOT take it personally!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I do have a suggestion about the complete classifieds forums. You should reconfigure the set-up to automatically delete threads (ads) for parts after a decent length of time, say maybe two weeks or so? I've seen a lot of threads brought back up to the top by someone asking if something is still for sale that was originally posted over a month prior. Most items usually sell within a few weeks.

Also it would be nice if nothing else to see the original post date of each thread before you go to click on it. The last person to reply section on the right side shows it but not on the right side of the list. Or even some way for the thread starter to click on something that would make the word "SOLD" be shown on the original thread in the list so members won't waste their time clicking on stuff and having to scroll down only to find that it's been sold already. I know getting people to do this would take an act of Congress but like the rating system it would probably catch on.

Dave, I've rambled on long enough but I just wanted to send a couple of ideas your way. It would be nice if members would list the right stuff in the right place.

Thanks for your time, Marshall

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
one more time

One more suggestion - really need to have a classified forum for induction and fuel related items. For things such as EFI and carb intakes, injectors, carbs, cold air induction, throttle bodies, fuel pumps, adjustable FPR's, fuel rails and so forth.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Maybe it would be possible to make the print a different color on the post titles for authorized advertisers. I know generally when I am looking for parts, it is for a good price on a used part in good condition, not 10 bucks off of new for being a corral member. At least for me, it is a waste of my time when I see an ad for a rack, or a set of axles, or AFR cylinder heads and open it up only to find it is something brand new that a shop is trying to sell for the same cost we can all find them for in the back of one of ten magazines published every month.

Also, maybe it would be possible to create a search based on location in someones profile. (maybe we already can and I just don't know how) It would be nice for looking for something that may be pricey to ship if we could find someone local.

Lastly, is there anything that can be done with scammers? I had brought up an idea that Carson wasnt too enthused about in one of my other posts, so I am open to suggestions. What about someone being scammed, or getting parts 6 weeks after they paid for them? Can't you suspend that person from the corral for 30 days for suspicious behavior or something like that? Do it twice and your gone. The other big problem is that you can just get a new user ID. If you could make a confirmation like paypal has where you send something to their e-mail, and they have to confirm it by sending you something in return, then you could eliminate the continued usage of an e-mail addy by someone. Your system could throw up a red flag when you are sending it to them telling you that they have been kicked off the site before.

Just my $.02
Glenn

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You go Glenn! I myself like the ideas on the scammer situation and the thought on the "Corral authorized advertisers". With a little tweaking and tuning this site could be great!!!!

·
15,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree there is a large problem right now with the advertising situation. I'm talking with a few of them practically nightly to try and get this issue resolved.

I kind of like how www.camaroz28.com is set up with their Paying Advertisers forum, check it out. It would basically eliminate the GP forum we have here that hardly ever gets used, and allows the Advertisers to post their SALES in it. Of course they'd also have their advertising information in their signature.

The best way to advertise is how I see a couple of them doing it: By being out in the TECH forums and talking to people and helping them. Coincidentally, you also have the parts they need.

We need people who know what they're talking about to sell parts IMO. Someone that can tell you all the differences in parts and what will do what. That's just my opinion though.

Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales
Group Purchase requests.
GPs CAN BE SET UP BY PAYING ADVERTISERS ONLY.
Please report all unsolicited e-mail as a result of posting here.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

Let me know your thoughts. I'll have to talk to our advertisers too.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Everything Dave has said and then some. I'm tired of Windsor and Modular ENGINE PARTS Forums being the dumpster for everyone because they don't want to take the time or the effort to read the forum descriptions or to make multiple posts.

Also, it sounds like people would like the forums prunned back more than the 30 days I do now, is that correct? How far back do you guys want to go? 14 days? 21 days? Let me know since it's time to prune the forums again.

One last thing, don't wait for Dave or I to start topics like this for you guys to start making all sorts of suggestions, you can PM us or e-mail us your thoughts and/or suggestions on how to improve the forums.

Thanks,
Carson

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another pet peave......

I am sooo tired of people posting WTB ads. That's why we're all in the parts forums to begin with; we are wanting to buy something. But it seems we have these (whatevers) clogging up the boards with WTB apparently thinking they are special, or that somehow will get them a flood of sellers begging bidding their parts to them. The last thing I care to see is a post looking like a seller, and it's really a (whatever) wanting to buy. So, my suggestion would be deleting any/all WTB posts.

Just my two cents.

Greg
Miami, FL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another thought......

Isn't is strange how many people put nothing about themselves, such as location, age, occupation, etc in their profile? Every time I see that, it makes me think they are leaving the door open to no-good. Shouldn't there be a minimum mandatory amount of information somebody should give, in case they try breaking the law or something? I guess this falls into the same category as one of the above posts about what paypal does to verify somebody's existence.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree, some of the fields in the profile should be rquired. If they required a town, and zip in the location, we could all see it and figure out the shipping on certain item before we ever even talk to the seller.
I also think that most buyers should get a phone # from the seller when they are buying something of value before they send out their money. That way, you can verify that you have another piece of info to contact someone if they dont send the parts, or there is a problem with their e-mail. It also adds a little piece of mind when you talk to the buyer and they don't sound like they are 17.
Glenn

·
15,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Another pet peave......

Blown347hatch said:
I am sooo tired of people posting WTB ads. That's why we're all in the parts forums to begin with; we are wanting to buy something. But it seems we have these (whatevers) clogging up the boards with WTB apparently thinking they are special, or that somehow will get them a flood of sellers begging bidding their parts to them. The last thing I care to see is a post looking like a seller, and it's really a (whatever) wanting to buy. So, my suggestion would be deleting any/all WTB posts.

Just my two cents.

Greg
Miami, FL
No! :mad: LOL I do the "WTB" thing as well ;) Not everyone lists what they have for sale, but if you want something someone might have it kicking around and not have a post up for sale. I've gotten a few things this way. If you see "WTB" in the title just skip it. ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Stangnet.com has a "WTB Forum." I think it would be of good use here as well. Those who get tired of looking at "WTB" ads can simply not look there and won't have to see anymore of these in the other Forums.

·
Registered
47 Posts
WTB ads work great if your looking for something stock, hard to find, or smaller priced that most people wouldn't bother posting up for sale. In my experience just by posting a WTB ad your almost guaranteed to find the part you want but can't seem to find. I guess you could have a forum dedicated to WTB ads but that would definately take away from the exposure the ad would get. I have a question, why is my post count in the 30's when it should be somewhere in the 100's. Thanks

·
Banned
415 Posts
i really like the idea of a fuel system forum. you have to dig deep to find a carb or some injectors. i like that idea. i also like the way z28 does there group purchase stuff, but the corral is much more organized with categories to look for. i also like the idea of a WTB section, it will unclogg the classifieds, but you would need to make categories for it also, it would be horrible to have a big melting pot of stuff in there. i love the organization, but i really like the idea of a fuel system forum.

russ

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am in the same boat as jmdocht, What happened to our post counts? Mine was at 170 last saturday morning, then on sunday, I got on and had like 100, its across the board, it's happened to everyone, but where did they go????

·
15,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See the sticky @ the top of the lounge. I'm sick of hearing about it LOL. In case you didn't notice I lost 18,500 posts.:blam:

As for the WTB ads, My opinion is they should be exactly as they are. That way someone looking for something might see it and go "oh hey I got one of those, let me shoot the guy an e-mail so I can get rid of it". That's much more likely than people just browsing the WTB forum in case they have something someone wants. Just skip over 'em if you don't want to read 'em, and if per chance you got what someone's looking for, then hey, you made a sale without thinking about it. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
how about a cry baby forum? thats sounds like a good idea, no?
i hope this site stays true and doesn't turn into another salami fest like superstallions of the net!
anyway i'm sure you guys can figure something out!
just my opinion,
Rick

·
Registered
574 Posts
chrome yellow 95vert said:
Cut'em down to two weeks. If something doesn't sell the you'll just have to relist it
Is there a way to get these back? I would really appreciate it, I need to get a post by lilpimp5e from like a month and a half ago. I was buying something from him and he was in the army and he died, so I bought it from his wife. She doesn't know the specs on the motor/cam/tranny that I got, and I don't know of any other way than to get that post back.
Thanks, moderators, if you can do anything, I would greatly appreciate it.
Matt

1 - 20 of 40 Posts