Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the thinner rings I've seen with the better pistons good for 50,000 plus miles? Block will be bored / honed with tork plates and for rings used.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd say easily over 100,000k without boost or nitrous and with proper oil maintenance.

All new engines use low tension oil rings.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say easily over 100,000k without boost or nitrous and with proper oil maintenance.

All new engines use low tension oil rings.
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Engine will just be N/A. I'm a firm believer in maintenance. I'm trying to learn to do the research,but may have a question sometimes. The wiseco pistons seem to be a good value, forged, friction coated skirts, rings for $515.55.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5.0 Explorers use 1.5/1.5/4.0mm rings. Go into the multiples of hundred K's
With all the advice you all have given me and with quality machine work and parts, careful assembly I think that I should have a great performance combination.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5.0 Explorers use 1.5/1.5/4.0mm rings. Go into the multiples of hundred K's
The rings that come with the wiseco pistons are 1/16, 1/16,3/16 are these to thin of a ring for a daily driver? I don't know much about piston rings

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
1.5mm is about .060", and 1/16" is .0625", so there's hardly any difference.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.5mm is about .060", and 1/16" is .0625", so there's hardly any difference.
Thanks. I'm not familiar with alot of metric measurements. I don't know why I didn't think about looking up the conversion. In your opinion / experience would those wiseco pistons be a good choice for my goal? I don't mind paying for quality.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
LS engines use 1.2mm/1.5mm top/second. Much less than 1/16 rings. Plenty of miles on OE Style rings. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks. I'm not familiar with alot of metric measurements. I don't know why I didn't think about looking up the conversion. In your opinion / experience would those wiseco pistons be a good choice for my goal? I don't mind paying for quality.
I use a ton of the 2618 alloy Wiseco pistons (the shop I'm at does primarily turbo import motors). I have a set in my personal 408, which uses the 1.2 / 1.2 / 3.0 ring pack.

However, judging by the ring sizes, are you talking about their Pro-Tru pistons? Those are their "budget" 4032 low expansion alloy. And not a thing wrong with that, though I personally have zero experience with them. They should perform just as well as any other 4032 alloy piston (SRP, Mahle, etc.) so long as the machining is nicely done.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a ton of the 2618 alloy Wiseco pistons (the shop I'm at does primarily turbo import motors). I have a set in my personal 408, which uses the 1.2 / 1.2 / 3.0 ring pack.

However, judging by the ring sizes, are you talking about their Pro-Tru pistons? Those are their "budget" 4032 low expansion alloy. And not a thing wrong with that, though I personally have zero experience with them. They should perform just as well as any other 4032 alloy piston (SRP, Mahle, etc.) so long as the machining is nicely done.
That's the pistons I'm talking about. Machine shop is going to take the time to do a extra good job on the boring and honing, torque plates will be used.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
That's the pistons I'm talking about. Machine shop is going to take the time to do a extra good job on the boring and honing, torque plates will be used.
Is that what they told you? Lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
? Ls1-ls2 does not. Truck engines use 1.5 for both.
I believe ls1 uses the 1.5mm top, at least the one I had did. I think lol.

Most ls engines I have torn down are the truck 5.3/6.0 and have had the 1.5 top ring. I have an ls2 in the shop but I don’t have pistons for it.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
I believe ls1 uses the 1.5mm top, at least the one I had did. I think lol.

Most ls engines I have torn down are the truck 5.3/6.0 and have had the 1.5 top ring. I have an ls2 in the shop but I don’t have pistons for it.
My memory could be failing my on my own ls1 and ls2. I work 12 hour overnights so 9/10 times I’m certifiably braindead. I could’ve sworn my ls2 had 1.2/1.5 my ls1 I’m pretty sure did as well. Eh who knows I’ll take your word for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts