Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been making some headway on the project build, car blew a piston on a nitrous pass on the stock block and has been sitting while I put together parts, figure things out, and actually have time. Goal with this build was to have a bad ass NA car. So the nitrous is coming off, which sucks because it was brand new, but it is what it is.

The Build consists of 363 Dart Block, Diamond 9cc dome pistons should be roughly 14:1 and ran on e85. AFR 220S, port matched super Vic,Wilson 4150TB, custom FTI solid roller cam, Kooks 2-3.5 inch headers, Aeromotive stealth fuel system, Holley efi, refreshed C4 with new converter for this setup, and a bunch of other small ****. .

Here are some pics, hopefully have her fired up shortly, running into some issues with starter clearance and the headers, the stock one fit but took a **** while trying to crank one the motor to check cranking timing with the Holley efi. Ordered a CVR and no luck, going to try a power master now.

Cant wait until it all comes together!

Reactions: 9seccobra and rob

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Reactions: Saleen414

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Interesting move on staying with the 4 lug.

Any idea what killed the piston on the previous setup?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting move on staying with the 4 lug.

Any idea what killed the piston on the previous setup?
I stayed 4 lug because I already have eight wheels and the rear was built with 4 lug axles years ago. I figure if I want to go 5 lug down the line I always can, but I already have a **** ton of money tied up in this project and I wasn't buying new axles and wheels. When I do go 5 lug it will be when I build a 9 inch for the rear . Its weird I know, but hey I have seen plenty of guys run into the 8s on 4.

I blew the piston in the stock block on the first trip to the track on the new nitrous setup. Switched over to the wet kit from dry with a stand alone fuel system, and left my NA timing in the car because I had he stand alone filled up with 100 octane. the NA timing was aggressive, and it didn't like it. Car ran a 10.9 at like 78 blowing up a the 1/8th. I still have the nitrous kit and everything to go with it, seems people just don't want to buy nitrous kits. Maybe I will run it some day, or maybe ill put it on my s550, who knows.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like its going to be a killer setup. Were you running E85 on the previous setup with NOS? If I understand correctly the previous motor didn't pull timing when you sprayed and caused detonation? Were you on the Holley HP EFI prior to this build or is it a new addition?
-Rich

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like its going to be a killer setup. Were you running E85 on the previous setup with NOS? If I understand correctly the previous motor didn't pull timing when you sprayed and caused detonation? Were you on the Holley HP EFI prior to this build or is it a new addition?
-Rich
Thanks, no I wasn't running e85 before , and was using the PMS for tuning. Purchased the NX stand alone system and fuel pump to supply the wet kit and filled it with 100 octane. It was my dumb mistake for running to much timing with the Nitrous, but hey it is what it is. I decided e85 would be the way to go for this setup with it being readily available in my area, cheap, and the compression should allow me to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been trying to find a crossmember that will work for this problem, think I am going to have a custom one made and tied into the floor or subframes. Was looking at the stiflers universal and might be able to make it work, but I don't have a ton of clearance on the drivers side from exhaust to bottom of floor pan either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, no I wasn't running e85 before , and was using the PMS for tuning. Purchased the NX stand alone system and fuel pump to supply the wet kit and filled it with 100 octane. It was my dumb mistake for running to much timing with the Nitrous, but hey it is what it is. I decided e85 would be the way to go for this setup with it being readily available in my area, cheap, and the compression should allow me to take advantage of it.
Camara77,

Right on! From what I've heard and what my engine builder is telling me is that E85 and NOS work together really good. Some guys have said not even having to pull much timing while running oon the corn. I'm having a 13:1 CR TFR TW-R heads 430W that will run on the E and will be spraying 300 shot of NOS.

Was there any other components in the NOS system ie. a controller or something that you weren't running at the time it was hurt?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Camara77,

Right on! From what I've heard and what my engine builder is telling me is that E85 and NOS work together really good. Some guys have said not even having to pull much timing while running oon the corn. I'm having a 13:1 CR TFR TW-R heads 430W that will run on the E and will be spraying 300 shot of NOS.

Was there any other components in the NOS system ie. a controller or something that you weren't running at the time it was hurt?
Sounds like you will have a serious runner! My nitrous kit was just window switch activated off the mallory 685, which honestly for nitrous when they made it was awesome for what it was as an ignition box. Built in rev limiter, window switch, timing retard when activated etc. I did not run a progressive controller, just straight 150 hit. I have all the fixings as far as Electronic TPS switch, heater, purge, filter, 15lb bottle, stand alone fuel system with unto 600HP of nitrous capable fuel pump. I just got to aggressive with the timing. Car ran a best of 11.7 NA with the stock block, TF170'S, performer rpm intake, and a small Cali smog legal custom grind cam with the nitrous converter. It should have went well into the mid 10s on the 150shot. It was a fun setup for sure.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got her fired up, can't get her to idle well yet. Running rich at idle and need to play around more with the Holley efi and figuring out the tune. Running a set of ID1050x injectors, so they are pretty hefty.

·
Old timer
5,865 Posts

Reactions: Camara77

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew you sent me a b cam when I degreed it in, lmao.. Should be a runner tho. BTW I got a set of-8 NGK in there now was going to swap them out for the AR3924 you think I need to be a little colder with a 23 or a 22 with the e85 and this compression?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Been trying to find a crossmember that will work for this problem, think I am going to have a custom one made and tied into the floor or subframes. Was looking at the stiflers universal and might be able to make it work, but I don't have a ton of clearance on the drivers side from exhaust to bottom of floor pan either.

I feel your paint there. Mine took several miter cuts and some welding to snake around the driver side crossmember. I have a stifflers sitting in the shop, but I don’t know if it would’ve helped much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you going to calibrate the Holley HP system or do you have a tuner who knows the software? I been kicking around either Dominator or HP if I went EFI on the 430W build. I'm in Norcal and want to find a good calibrator who knows the Holley Software?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you going to calibrate the Holley HP system or do you have a tuner who knows the software? I been kicking around either Dominator or HP if I went EFI on the 430W build. I'm in Norcal and want to find a good calibrator who knows the Holley Software?
I’m in the process of learning it all right now and have a tuning session setup with a guy from the forums who does a ton of cars for Monday. He will remote access with me and walk me through the processes and then once the car is on the road we can live tune. The self tuning in the Holley will get you 90-95 percent of where you want to be, but for every last drop you want to be able to fine tune it yourself. I will then take it to the dyno and partner with a buddy of mine who an awesome coyote tuner to hopefully get every last bit out of it. I am also in nor-cal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds nasty, what kind of power do you think it's making? e85 is great, too bad only 1 station in my area sells it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sounds nasty, what kind of power do you think it's making? e85 is great, too bad only 1 station in my area sells it.
That’s what makes e just a blessing and a curse. Great for boosted applications, but it can be so tough to find at a pump. Around here it disappears in hours

1 - 20 of 24 Posts