Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of gathering parts for building a 1967 289 4v mustang. I happened to get a 1999 t5 equipped mustang. That I am taking the transmission out of to put into the 67. The question I have. Has anyone figured out exactly what type of signal the oss puts out? I have read many discussions on this forum and the answers vary from Hall effect or sine wave, to variable voltage. Can anyone confirm signal type?

·
Registered
250 Posts
All 2 wire speed sensors are going to produce variable voltage. Hall effect sensors need 3 wires as they need a voltage supply. VRS, or magnetic pick ups, will produce their own voltage.

Test the sensor by hooking up your multi meter to each lead, and spin the sensor with a drill or if the car is running use the engine to spin the tranny. Set your multi meter to AC voltage. The AC voltage should increase with RPM/transmission speed.

·
Registered
24,700 Posts
read the POST!!

how many WIRES!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am in the middle of gathering parts for building a 1967 289 4v mustang. I happened to get a 1999 t5 equipped mustang. That I am taking the transmission out of to put into the 67. The question I have. Has anyone figured out exactly what type of signal the oss puts out? I have read many discussions on this forum and the answers vary from Hall effect or sine wave, to variable voltage. Can anyone confirm signal type?
You can convert the T5 to the standard cable speedometer pretty easy too. I am about to the very same thing for a 66 Mustang. You. Have to swap the tail housing on the T5 to the earlier style and install the drive gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can convert the T5 to the standard cable speedometer pretty easy too. I am about to the very same thing for a 6h Mustang. You. Have to swap the tail housing on the T5 to the earlier style and install the drive gear.
I have an 83 svo 5.0 trans from ford aftermarket but I’d like to save that for a later build if I can make the speedo work from the signal off the 1999.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

·
Registered
24,700 Posts
post #2 answered it all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts