Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1994 V6 T5 in my 68 Mustang with a stock 302. Non runner/no history on the trans other than the odometer was about 130k. It had gear oil in it...

I installed it in my 68 after swapping the input shaft for a shorter Fox one, and the matching bearing retainer. Cleaned it out with kerosene, and gave it some nice ATF. The gear oil was clean.

It growls like crazy while engine braking. All forward gears. The pitch depends on road speed, not engine RPM. No noise with the clutch in, or while in neutral. Cruising and or accelerating, it’s quiet in any gear. It’s deafening at 35mph+ while coasting but the noise is there from 2mph up.

The output shaft is a little loose, but that seems normal from what I’ve read. It does have a slight leak from there.

I’ll be pulling this out for a rebuild I suppose. Any ideas on what might be the cause so I can be sure I check it very carefully?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If it is speed related and not RPM related I would suspect the output shaft and its related parts.

·
Registered
24,272 Posts
its eating itself

may have been a good idea to have it opened and gone over before installing, it was a 25 year old weak ass v6 of unknown condition

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was going to rebuild it before I put it in but decided to play the lottery and lost. I did look inside when I put the input shaft on nothing looked out of place.

I also suspect something in the output shaft area. I’m guessing a bearing of some kind but I’ve never been in one of those before other than watching the Hanlon video.

·
Registered
24,272 Posts
its not going to be worth rebuilding it

unless it just needs bearings and new tail housing

·
Registered
372 Posts
Output shaft should have no end play. Zero clearance. And the cluster should have no end play. Zero to +.002

Paul C and Eric tcg have a very good youtube video for an SN95 t5 rebuild. Watch it, over and over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m hoping no hard parts are affected.
It shifts so nicely and is quieter than the one in my babied 94 GT under load.

Been watching the youtube. And have studied the Hanlon DVD.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Running 50 weight Gear lube in a WC T5 will trash the clutch material in the Synchros but won’t hurt any other parts. It is the recommended lube for the NWC T5s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m guessing they used the gear oil to try to quiet the noise. I’m also guessing they weren’t successful.
I think I’ll tear into it in a couple weeks when I can set aside a weekend.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll report back with some findings.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Couple basic questions:
Do you have a pilot bearing with proper size and location?
Was the fox length input new or used?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pilot bushing came with the clutch kit so I don’t have a part number for that. The inner diameter was correct for the input shaft. It installed just slightly tucked up in the crank. The input shaft was new.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Good stuff. Once you get it apart I would put a cluster/countershaft in it. While you are there put a cluster support plate on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts