Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently came across a similar post (from 2010) for street/strip cars and feel like I learned a ton reading through every post. Instead of bringing that post back to life I thought it would be fun to make one just for street engine builds. I'm in the process of deciding on a short block that will be 100% street driven.

It can be 302, 331, 408 etc; Tell me what you enjoyed driving on the street, if you have regrets and or would do something differently. GO!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hands down the most fun, I've had like 10 mustangs own 2 right now this is money. Yes, its over kill for a street car but thats the point dependability. Very happy I decided to go with the T56 and 331 gears may go 308s later.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The one I have now. 93 coupe, 4 cylinder Merkur engine. Intercooled, LA3 computer, 3" exhaust but otherwise mostly stock. Oh, forgot roller cam and adjustable gear retarded 5 deg. Did most of the suspension and bushings and dampers & struts, cheap decent tires, cobra rack & MM shaft. Handles as well as I need it to on a public street. 30+ MPG. Idles smooth. Puts a smile on my face every time I'm into the throttle and boost "hits" at about 2700-2800 RPM. Ain't fast, but it's ugly--and fun. I need to do the paint & body. Maybe someday when the money allows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently came across a similar post (from 2010) for street/strip cars and feel like I learned a ton reading through every post. Instead of bringing that post back to life I thought it would be fun to make one just for street engine builds. I'm in the process of deciding on a short block that will be 100% street driven.

It can be 302, 331, 408 etc; Tell me what you enjoyed driving on the street, if you have regrets and or would do something totally differently. GO!
What was this other post? I'd like to read it too.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The one I have now. 93 coupe, 4 cylinder Merkur engine. Intercooled, LA3 computer, 3" exhaust but otherwise mostly stock. Oh, forgot roller cam and adjustable gear retarded 5 deg. Did most of the suspension and bushings and dampers & struts, cheap decent tires, cobra rack & MM shaft. Handles as well as I need it to on a public street. 30+ MPG. Idles smooth. Puts a smile on my face every time I'm into the throttle and boost "hits" at about 2700-2800 RPM. Ain't fast, but it's ugly--and fun. I need to do the paint & body. Maybe someday when the money allows.
You're car back on the road? Didn't you put a rod through the block? Or am I confusing you with another member?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What was this other post? I'd like to read it too.
Here is the other post. I copied the post obviously, but it really has been on of my favorite threads to read through when researching going 302 vs 351w. Still undecided lol but it is interesting to see that a large % of people enjoyed their stock more basic foxbodies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the other post. I copied the post obviously, but it really has been on of my favorite threads to read through when researching going 302 vs 351w. Still undecided lol but it is interesting to see that a large % of people enjoyed their stock more basic foxbodies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hatchback 1990
347 stock block stroker
Afr185s, track heat intake, long tube headers, fti cam, etc
C4 manual valve body 3k stall
4.30 gears
365 hp and 380 tq at the wheels. 125hp zex wet ki- 400+ hp and 500+ tq to the wheels. Great street car surprised alot of people when I left outta the hole.

Drove 50 mph on the freeway but got me anywhere and home without issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts
93 foxbody, coyote swapped, VMP gen 3 blower, 6R80 trans.

super reliable, quiet at idle, quiet while cruising, insane instant power, 6 speed auto on the street in a fox is amazing compared to a c4. Most fun car ive driven on the street. Built it for a customer and wish i could have kept it.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Previous combo in my '87 Cougar. 306 AFR165 heads, XE270HR-12 cam, Kenne Bell @ 11 psi. Nice mild lope @ idle, savage throttle response & street performance.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
other car's a 92 gt, 408w, T56. For a street car it's too aggressive to be "fun". Reckon I could throw some more money at it (traction aids, suspension mods, etc) and it'd be a lot faster at the drag strip but that's not what I built it for. Street car with an attitude, and it definitely has that-really not much fun to drive, but gets LOTS of attention, which is sometimes not such a good thing.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
An automatic trans with wide flat rear wheel torque curve of 330 to 380 from 3000 to 6000 rpm, Bilstein all around, lowered about 1.5".
Too much power and it's really not going to be a fun street car as you need to make straight line acceleration suspension mods and that is hard to balance with fun on on the street spirited driving.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
No, this one's been going strong for a while. Hope you didn't jinx anything though!
Me too. Not looking to jinx anyone's build! LOL

There is another member with a red '87-'93 coupe with a 2.5 stroker turbo that made outstanding numbers but he lost a rod that windowed his block. I thought you were him.

I was thinking it was this car...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
other car's a 92 gt, 408w, T56. For a street car it's too aggressive to be "fun". Reckon I could throw some more money at it (traction aids, suspension mods, etc) and it'd be a lot faster at the drag strip but that's not what I built it for. Street car with an attitude, and it definitely has that-really not much fun to drive, but gets LOTS of attention, which is sometimes not such a good thing.
How much HP is it making just wondering how much was too much?

·
USAF retired
9,086 Posts
Probably my 90LX before I decided to make it more of a dedicated drag car. It had a seemingly mild 306, 5.4 rods, ported SMII intake, ported Edelbrock heads, CI cam, 1 3/4 long tubes, 3" exhaust, and 3.73 gears. What made it more enjoyable to drive though was the Bilstein struts/shocks, H&R race springs, and cobra brakes. Ran it on a quarter mile track on street tires, after driving to Iowa from Florida, think it was [email protected] with a 2.6X 60 foot.

Reactions: ChristophrC

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I think a fun street car has enough power to be entertaining but not so much that it's draining to control and drive. It should handle and drive decent without being too harsh or too soft. Once the car takes on a strong track (drag or road) focus street fun begins to diminish. The car has to be super reliable too. Always breaking down or leaving you stranded is bummer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am in the middle of trying to do a build right now.
My last coupe was 331 w all the goodies and a t trim w tko 5spd and 373. Made 525 to the ground w only 10psi of boost. Had long tubes pro chamber and stock catback w flow master 40s welded in. Nice idle sound, and while cruising I could listen to radio and have a conversation. Only thing I didnt like was my clutch setup would clap at low speeds. Otherwise very fun but seemed to always have some kind of a small issue here and there.

So this current build is going to be stock long block w vortech intake, a vortech s or t trim, some kind of standalone fuel management for a spot on tune and an astro a5, 5lug w rear disc and cobra brakes, probably drag springs, south side lca, 373, shorties,xpipe,and magnaflow catback. If I can push 450rwhp I'll be very happy. To me personally that is my happy place w power for a street car.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts