Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't get my starter to crank my stroker engine correctly. Sounds like an old school chevy engine trying to crank. Like it's shimmed incorrectly. And when I pull off the starter to look at the teeth it seems as though it's not fully engaging the flexplate. The teeth are worn only on the outer edge. What can I do about this? Only has started since installing the new engine and flexplate. I'm using the stock 93 mini starter. Sounds horrible. :shakehead

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So does anyone know what starter I need for this setup? I really don't have the money right now to keep throwing different ones at it. Sounds horrible. Like a screeching, something moving, popping sound coming from the starter when engaging or retracting. Just like it isn't shimmed right or the teeth aren't engaging correctly. But when I pulled it off all the teeth are there and none are chipped or missing.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
can you bench test the starter and make sure it isn't just the starter itself?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the 2nd starter now. Doing the same thing that the first one was doing. I did examine the bendix gear on the starter and noticed that it is only engaging the flexplate with half of the gear. The teath are only worn down halfway across. Should the entire bendix gear be making contact with it during startup? Or is this normal engagement? Sounds awful trying to crank. Can figure out what to do next :(

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I believe only engaging the front half of the starter gear is normal. Also keep in mind the flywheel teeth aren't as wide as the starter teeth. With the starter out you can get in there and measure the width of the teeth on the flywheel and compare that to the pattern on the starter teeth to see what the difference is. I'd bet that if you're seeing a wear pattern on the starter that's 1/2 the width of it's teeth, its not going to be off by much if any at all.

It may seem counter intuitive but shimming the starter back with a pair of washers may actually help. If it does, you can get legit starter shims so don't just leave the washers in there if that does the trick.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yes that's a great point. If you don't have one of those between the engine and trans you could have starter alignment issues.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine has the plate between the trans. I also installed a shim for the starter to pull it out some. Still has the same noise as without it. I really give up with this problem. I don't know what else to do. Seriously frustrating. Sounds like the starter and flywheel are coming apart. Wish I could figure it out but having no luck.

·
Registered
23,074 Posts
ensure you have the proper teeth count flexplate.

get in there and start measuring things with a depth micrometer, its just math.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
So what transmission? If it is a C4, there are two common diameter flex plate, convertors and bellhousings. The C6, AOD, AODE, 4R70W all use a 164 tooth flywheel. If you have the correct flex plate, block plate, convertor and bellhousing, then you may need to elongate one of the starter bolt holes and the hole in the block plate. So you can move the starter in closer to the flywheel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a PRW flexplate, 157 tooth, 28 ounce balance.. Shimmed starter out from the flexplate and made same noise as before. Pulled off starter this morning to look at it and the starter motor teeth are chipped. Is this uncommon or what? I'm at the end of my rope :shakehead

·
Registered
23,074 Posts
take measurements,,,you have it in your hands.

measure depths, and lengths find out what is going on.

what does the flexplate teeth look like?

do you have the proper starter for that flexplate?

maybe its time to take it to someone who can properly diagnose it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well since the box it came in said 157 tooth I didn't feel I needed to count them. Surely they didn't box it wrong.. And after looking at the flexplate closely now it seems that two of the teeth are missing on it now as well as the teeth on the bendix gear are worn down and chipped. Never seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
23,074 Posts
I had a ford racing billet steal flywheel box say it was for a 50oz imbalance and a 28oz was in it brand new from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Please tell us your info on your car/motor/trans etc. so we can better assist you. Can the motor be rotated by hand? Have you done any electrical work on the car? Why was the starter removed in the 1st place? The Ford Mini-Starter will work on both the Auto and Manual trans. I also think that the older starters had Long or Short Snouts on them. Long= Automatics, Short = Manual Trans. Pics would really help also.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure thing. It's a 347 stroker, C4 small bellhousing, PRW flexplate, oem ford mini starter, PTC converter, etc....
Just installed the engine. Everything else remained the same except the new 28 ounce flexplate. It was new with the engine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
O.K. Which Flex plate are you using? Is it the 157 tooth or the 164 tooth? Do you have the invoice to make sure you got what you purchased? I have been told also that if not enough current to starting system, then starter will not function correctly. Maybe you could check volts at your starting system to eliminate that and also ground issues? Can you measure clearance from bell housing (starter area) to face of the Flex Plate?

Good Luck!

P.S

Auto Trans Starter = The gear in the starter is sticking out of the starter body.

Manual Trans Starter = The gear is recessed inside the body of the starter.

This might help:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CJoBEBYwCA&url=http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford%20starters.pdf&ei=GDQaU7yHI4fs0QGlt4DQCA&usg=AFQjCNFM8LACv_QFdSw-hBPB7ZJUoFHD3Q&sig2=dYJMxVSnA73f-s3pFD660w
Starters

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It's a PRW flexplate, 157 tooth, 28 ounce balance.. Shimmed starter out from the flexplate and made same noise as before. Pulled off starter this morning to look at it and the starter motor teeth are chipped. Is this uncommon or what? I'm at the end of my rope :shakehead
What do you mean you shimmed the starter? Those Vatozone Ford shims, I hope you are not talking about. Those are the most worthless crap I have ever seen, those things are like tail light fluid. If it is grinding or making noise, you need to move the starter closer or farther out away from the ring gear, so the teeth either mesh deeper or shallower, not forward or back. The only way to do that with a Ford is to slot the bolt holes in the starter and the hole in the block plate that the nose of the starter goes through.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts