Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, my goal here is to have a decent sound system in my 86 svo, so I am on a budget and don't plan on making a competition system. I plan on replacing the stock speakers, adding a new head unit, and dropping in two 10" subs.

I don't want to sound like an ignorant novice, but I pretty much just need a list of what needs to be done to finish this. So far I've picked out 2 10" sony Xplod subs, a sony amp designed for those, and an enclosure that should fit in the hatchback. My concern is figuring out how to intall the amp and head unit properly. I'm not sure how to find out whether or not it has a factory amp, so I'm not sure if I should install it all myself or get it professionally done cus I don't know how to bypass the stock amp (if there is one).

Also I've looked at the other systems posted here and generally have an idea on how I'll have it set up, but I'm open for advice or suggestions on what works best and easiest. I have nothing but time because it's currently sitting in the driveway w/o a turbo so it's gonna be a little while before I can drive it anyway.

I appreciate any feedback, and I apologize for not really knowing much about anything

btw, I'm aware that sony isn't the best for this stuff but 1- i saved a lot of money w/ this package and 2- i've heard mostly positive feedback for it

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just so you know, you can save a lot of money and still not use sony, even though thats not the point. If you gut the stereo and use an amp(s) you will bypass the factory amp if there is one. The best way to install a headunit is get the harness and any install hardware from your local bestbuy etc. For installing amps, I would go to knukonceptz.com and buy yourself an amp installation kit. Their stuff is very reasonably priced and is very nice. Just make sure you have a good ground for the amp.

Have you bought a set of front speakers yet? If you haven't do you have a budget so we can point you in the right direction? Either way, I hope this is a start to what you're looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I haven't bought any replacements for the front speakers yet, but I do intend to get some decent ones eventually. Also, I believe they're 5 1/4" which is the same for the door speakers in my 93, so if I do get some I can still play with them for a while before I intall them into the SVO. Another thing I was thinking of doing is getting a cheap 4-way amp to power the 4 regular speakers, but I'm not sure if that's worth it.

Thanks

edit- I just checked out that site which brings up my newest question. What should I look for when picking out an amp installation kit? This is the amp I'll get: Sony-1200W Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier with Variable Low-Pass Crossover-XM-2200GTX

edit #2- Another thing I just remembered is that I kinda still like the stock radio look cus it's just cool looking, so is there a way to keep that and still hook up the amp? I know there's something that can do that, but I don't know exactly what it is, where it is, and if it's even worth it (considering possible loss of sound quality etc)

...sorry for pretty much asking every thing there is to know on how to do this

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You'll be better off replacing the stock HU since it will sound a great deal better. If you must keep it, you can move the wires attached to the stock speakers to the speaker level inputs of the new amp. Most aftermarket amps have a speaker level (i.e. high power) input for such occasions. It will probably sound like crap compared to a new HU with line level inputs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured, so I'll just put in a new HU anyway.

As for finding an installation kit, I just don't know how to determine whether or not the power wires allow the amp put out the most it can.

·
Registered
411 Posts
well, if you are gonna use two amps I would recommend a 4guage power wire that would be split into two 8 guage wires for each amp. This is what I would buy in that case:

Complete 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Installation Kit
Positive Battery Terminal
BC-1428 Kompression Fuse Distribution Block
about 10ft of 8 guage wire
And a roll of the thickest speaker wire, some fuses (80, 30, 40 amps), and a bunch of female spade wire thingys from radioshack.

That will cover a 2 amp installation if both amps are 2 channel. If one is 4 channel you need another set of rca's. A 4 gauge wire will easily handle excess of 1kw. I have pretty much the exact same wire for my car and I saw about 1200w of power and had no issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
WinterParkStang said:
well, if you are gonna use two amps I would recommend a 4guage power wire that would be split into two 8 guage wires for each amp. This is what I would buy in that case:

And a roll of the thickest speaker wire, some fuses (80, 30, 40 amps), and a bunch of female spade wire thingys from radioshack.

That will cover a 2 amp installation if both amps are 2 channel. If one is 4 channel you need another set of rca's. A 4 gauge wire will easily handle excess of 1kw. I have pretty much the exact same wire for my car and I saw about 1200w of power and had no issues.
very well said :)

run your power wire down the drivers side and your rca's down the passanger side. Mount your amps to wood not directly to the cars chasis. Make sure you have a good clean ground.
And remember get a nice set of 5 1/4 components for the front and run 14 ga wire to them and the rears you can get what ever you want.
your setup sounds good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I think I've figured out what I'm gonna do. For now I'm going to put in the sony amp and subs as well as the 6x8" speakers I bought to replace the rear speakers. I'm still not sure if I want to get a second amp to power the regular speakers, but if I do then I'll just get a 2 channel amp and a set of component speakers for the front. I still have plenty of time to decide because the car doesn't even run yet.

If I stick to the one amp then I'll be fine w/ installing it, but I just need a better picture of how to set up 2 if I decide to. From what I think I understand, I would run the 4 gauge 4 channel wire to the distribution block, then run 2 sets of 8 guage wire to each amp. But the thing is that I think the amp uses a 4 guage power lead, so I don't know what effect that has. I'm basically learning this as I go along so I don't know what works with what.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the amp probably accepts up to 4 gauge wire. I wouldn't worry about size of wire there. Just make sure you use the same size ground as power wire (8 gauge). You also have the right picture about the wiring. Its all pretty simple crap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, things are kinda coming together on this. After a little more studying I found that I will have to deal with a factory amp somehow. I just don't know how. I don't want to take out all of the wiring and put in new stuff because that's a bit too much for me. Crutchfield recommends a PAC OEM-2 sound system controller, but 1. I don't know what that would do and 2. I don't want to go through with that if there's a way to simply cut out the factory amp

But soon I'll get the HU and amp installation kit which is all i need. Now my only concerns are dealing w/ the factory amp and dealing w/ the horrible stock alternator.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The radio wiring harness I got from circuit city included a plug to bypass the factory amp. Basically, you just remove the plugs going into and coming out of the factory amp. Then you connect the two with the plug from the kit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's it? I was thinking I'd have to rewire everything, which still isn't a bad idea anyway.
I was hoping I would be able to start setting everything up next week, but because of a little miscommunication it seems like I won't even be able to see my baby for over a month after today. :(

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am in illinois if you are near me i'd be more then willing to help you out i do stareoes every day of the week... and mustangs are my fav :king:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm over in B-more, so that's a bit of a drive. I should be able to figure it all out. Most of it is pretty simple, I just hope I don't mess up with rewiring any of the factory wires. And in a while I most likely put in a 3g alternator, so that's more fun with wire guessing...

·
Registered
6 Posts

Sounds like you maybe able to help me. My 86 Mustang GT 5.0 came with large custom speaker boxes in the front, large amp and subwoofer that takes up the whole hatch. The first problem is that any bump may turn off either front speaker. The Alpine has power IC but if the rear has a separate Amp then the pre-amp RCA jacks are used. Manual doesn't say if the preamp output is separate from the Power IC circuit if the front speakers come off the 16 pin DIN. I replaced the dinky little lug that was on the #8 wire to the battery with a #6 copper lug. I noticed that with the radio out and disconnected the Amp/subwoofer cable arched as I attached it to the battery. The Blue/white radio wire is supposed to enable the Remote start of the preamp when the ignition is on or in accessory. I could not get 12 volts on my meter at the 16 pin DIN on the harness with the ignition on. On these custom systems with large AMPs and speakers use a remote relay? I wish I had a typical schematic or else I'm going to have to trace every wire. Shouldn't get a large current draw on the AMP subwoofer circuit with the radio disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.
My son says I should start by looking for a Power On light in the Hatch's AMP and trace back from there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts