Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty happy with how everything is running using the MS. But my ignition timing has been kinda in the dark. Wondering if there are areas that I could improve. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
You may want to post this over on the Digital Self Tuning forum on Stangnet, it may get a little more movement as that Forum is a little more active for MS inquiries. There's a couple of really knowledgeable people on there.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
One thing I’d do is add a good bit of timing for cruise conditions. Right around 42* is usually where I’m at for fuel economy. You running e6 heads? They might want some more timing for peak power depending on compression ratio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up. I have been researching and working on my table and have uploaded the following. Way better cruise.

You may want to post this over on the Digital Self Tuning forum on Stangnet, it may get a little more movement as that Forum is a little more active for MS inquiries. There's a couple of really knowledgeable people on there.

Thanks for the input , Compression has changed from 9.2 to 9.0. Wow 42* 2000rpm to 3000rpm (25 to 30 load)and smooth in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I have been researching and working on my table and have uploaded the following. Way better cruise. View attachment 1060650

Thanks for the input , Compression has changed from 9.2 to 9.0. Wow 42* 2000rpm to 3000rpm (25 to 30 load)and smooth in?
Did you car blow up yet? Because 32 degrees at WOT is a good way to do that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you car blow up yet? Because 32 degrees at WOT is a good way to do that
So your saying a 302 with 32 deg total timing will blow up? Amazing

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow 42* 2000rpm to 3000rpm (25 to 30 load)and smooth in?
Its easier to think of it in terms of how old school vacuum advanced distributors operated...

Lets say you have a total advance of 32. Usually the vacuum canister is set to add 10degree’s when it see’s enough vacuum. So when your cuising you get 32+10 which is 42 (assuming your rpm is such that your timing is all in). Usually in the 2,200-2400 range. Now at idle.. lets say your idle is 12degrees. The vaccum canister is going to add 10 to that for 22 degrees at idle, again because it see’s higher vac at idle.

Now if you take that and apply the “vacuum canister” idea to your base timing map you get an idea of where those higher timing areas should be at low load (high vacuum, numerically lower kpa). Also dont be afraid to get into the 40’s especially with a 9:1 motor. Just check plugs, keep making changes and see how she feels and what she likes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts