Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to install 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers in 1993 somewhat stock 302 would I need to get custom pushrods? There is a small cam in it for a 10% increase in power. I'm having GT40 heads from a lightning installed which needs to be refreshed. Other question is if I was to mill the head .010 would I run into piston to valve clearance too?

Lets not get into the …. that's dumb or stupid refreshing the GT40 heads, just get aluminum heads debate.... thanks. Not wanting a quarter mile driver and been done that ave...in fact still traveling it lol. I'm not doing it with this one, daily driver. Just want the engine to breath just a little better. If I spend 6 or 700 on them I'd be bout even or break even (money wise) if I purchased some aftermarket aluminum head. I'm getting them for what I feel is a good price. Plus going a different route is always fun and interesting. Lets not forget I'd be helping the local shop giving them my business.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'd probably get a set of Cobra 1.7 bolt rockers for ease of install and a set of springs. Probably won't have an issue with that amount of milling, but you could easily clay the piston to make sure. With a near stock cam, probably only need a shim kit for the rockers instead of pushrods.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
You can buy a pushrod length checker for a reasonable amount if you want it to be spot on. You can take a sharpie and color the end of the valve stem and then re-install the rocker arm and turn the engine over manually 2 full revolutions and then recheck the wear pattern. You may be good already and just don't know it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok all good stuff! 1.7RR will be in the future with shims, thanks. Might just go .020, we'll see. I just picked the heads up yesterday and don't feel they came off a lightning. The guy says they did And I tend to believe him. THOUGH these are 3 bar GT40 heads no doubt, just the casting numbers say different.

When I get my caliper out today I'm gonna measure the head bolt holes and see. From what I understand I would need to either shim these holes or get a head bolt with a thicker shank if the GT40 heads are off a lightning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if its off a 351w ,the head bolts holes will be 1/2" versus 7/16th if they came off a 302...they do make bushing reducers for 1/2 heads..most aluminum head companies sell them,tfs,afr,etc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts