Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first time back on Corral in a while and it looks like everything's changed, I couldn't even find a fox body section, so I decided to start my thread here. I picked up a complete powertrain wrapped in a 1979 Ghia Coupe wrapper last fall. I'm the third owner of this project car and hoping to be the last owner. In a few more weeks I should have it back on the road, in time for cruising empty roads. I'll post more later. Here's a clip from my YT channel.

More to follow, cheers!

SJS

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spent a good portion of Saturday trying to figure out the exact wiper wiring schematic. I went through 8 fuses in the the process, 'thought' I'd damaged or had a failed 40 year old wiper motor, and most certainly damaged a delay switch. Ended the day trying to wire up a new motor as a simple low/high switch, which partially worked, but where ever the wipers were at when I turned the switch to off is where they stayed. Much searching and a day later I sorted it out. Now the only problem that remains is the blades parking between the range of motion. I think I know what's causing that and will look into it first chance I get. I also ordered another delay wiper controller as it's a near necessity in the PNW. Cheers, SJS.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
I posted a slideshow tonight of how I came to own the Big Orange coupe. I have a ton of photos from the past several months work. I'll try to post more like this until I'm to the point of recording more video.
Cheers, SJS
>

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spent about half a the three day Memorial Day weekend getting a Motion Racework's steering column installed in the Big Orange. I was pretty involved but not too difficult. I shot a fair amount of video and will post it once I get a chance to put it together, which should be in the next day or two. This was the last major hurdle to getting the car back on the road. Things left to do: finish sorting out wipers, build headlight/Turn/Marker light wiring harness, reinstall one fender and front bumper cover, Holley dashboard, and a few misc. items.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I moved the project a little further along the the goal line and installed a Deutsche DT 8 pin connector to disconnect the body wiring at the bumper cover. I also tried out some new parts and a new tool. I am now a huge fan of the DT connector series with the barrel crimp pins. By far the easiest pin assemblies and crimps I've ever made. They may cost a little more, but well worth it for the time and hassle savings over doing the Delphi Weatherpack type connections.
The Big Orange gets a quick disconnect bumper cover.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally posted the video of the Motion Raceworks steering column installation. About a day and a half of work condensed down to less than half an hour.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping today's the day I get the Big Orange back on the road. I have to install the right fender, put the bumper cover back together, finish the front body wiring harness, install the front bumper cover, and then set up the Holley EFI dash.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I didn't make it quite as far as I'd hoped I would.

In order to replace one of the side marker lights, the backing support needed replacing. To replace the backing plate, the bumper cover has to be separated from the inner support structure. To separate them would normally require drilling 14 rivets out, but mine were long gone so it just took a little work peeling the cover from the support. Once separated I replaced both side markers backing plates with units form LMR. Then I used LMR headlight alignment rebuild kits for all four headlights. I'm running Hella H4 bulbs with High/Low LED lights in each. It's a similar setup I used in my Jeep TJ and those worked great. After getting the headlamps back in I test fit just the inner support to check for fitment and locations to run the wiring. After forming a plan I placed the inner support back in the cover and using 3/16 x 1/2" aluminum rivets joined the two back together. I placed my body panel stand at the front of the car and sat the bumper cover on the stand nose down so I could complete the wiring harness. It turned out well, to disconnect and pull the front cover will require disconnecting 3-5 plugs depending on how I'm able to run the fog and driving lights. Despite wanting to get this back on the road ASAP, I through in the towel for the day when I discovered I'd ran out of Tessa tape to finish up the wiring loom. I have more coming and it will be here tomorrow. Since I'll be waiting on that, I'll get up early and pull the driver side fender and install the other LMR fender bolt and spring nut kit. By the end of the day tomorrow I should have the front cover back on the car and be ready to work on fender alignment and the final bolt down. I'm getting closer to driving it and can hardly wait. For now I'm going to put the Welds and Drag Radials back one with skinny fronts. More updates coming soon!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed to get my Amazon order in soon enough on Sunday that my Tessa tape showed up Monday before I finished work. spent the late afternoon finishing up the bumper cover and still had time left to bolt up the drag radials and matching front skinny's. One step closer to being back on the road! Next it's onto the Holley EFI digital display I'm using for gauges with GPS speedo, and some miscellaneous wiring, it won't be perfect, but it will be fun!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Nice. I like the color.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! My family doesn’t care for it but it’s really grown on me.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting really close to having the Big Orange derivable! Here's a quick clip of what I have left to do, once I have it mobile, I plan to drive it for a few weeks for short trips to start finding out what's working and what's not. Once that's sorted out it'll be on to the next installation, and there'll be a few, I already have stack of parts waiting to go.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I took the Big Orange out for a quick shakedown loop through town without attempting to film any of it so I could pay attention. I took a couple of stops at the parts store and Lowes. What I noticed:
  • 3" flowmasters that don't have much of a turn down sound louder in the car than out.
  • The loudness blocks any other noises you may need to hear.
  • My fan switch kicks on 10 degrees higher than it's supposed to, which had me thinking I was about to over heat.
  • Something is making the tach signal to my Holley EFI dash read erratically at times.
What I didn't notice until I go home was three of the four drivers rear lug nuts had backed themselves out, one to finger tight:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update on hoodscoop mock up and the 2nd shake down drive in the Big Orange Mustang Notchback. This time I took the car farther. Around 25 miles with an hour stop in the middle of the run. Rather than wait for the temp switch to kick on the electric fans at 210 degrees Fahrenheit, I rigged up a quick ground trigger for the fan relays. With the fans running the highest I saw the temps go was around 191 while setting at a traffic light. As I got close to home the alternator breaker tripped again, from heat I suspect, and left me running off the batteries, I'm glad I decided to run dual batteries. The breaker would not reset until things had cooled off so I'll be replacing it with a bussman breaker and seeing if that works better. In this video I also show the start of a mock up for a hoodscoop. If anyone has suggestions on building one I'd love to hear before I start off on a build.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally took out the Big Orange for it's third shakedown run. Still has a problem cutting out the alternator breaker as soon as the engine really spins up. New problem discovered to day, after a hard pull on the one ramp, short shifting at 5500, the car lost power. It would idle with the clutch in, engine brake with the clutch out, but any throttle input would nearly kill it. After I pulled on the shoulder and idled along for a while, the throttle response came back. I'm assuming the fuel tank being 41 years old is probably less than spotless inside. I'll check it out first chance I get, and probably carry a spare with me at all times until I can swap the tank out for a fuel cell.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shake Down Run 4, still starving for fuel. Getting close to finding the cause. Looks to be the carb floats and/or fuel inlet needle and seats sticking in the closed position. I have a Holley book somewhere, I'll have to pull it out and start going through suggestions. Would like to keep this thing carbed as long as possible. Lots of other little things I'd like to get lined out before making a switch to a stand alone EFI.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally had a chance to start some basic carb tuning and didn't make it very far before running into fuel leakage. Hope to get it back mobile this weekend.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clearing some more workspace in the garage and decided to get a quick size comparison video of the factory HVAC box next to the Vintage Air Gen II Mini.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spent part of Saturday sorting out my failed alternator breaker. Knocked that problem out now it's back to sorting out the fuel starvation issues!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the charging issue solved I've turned my attention to the fueling issue. What a mess it's been, grit in the carb, sludge for fuel, an undersized fuel pump, and discovering the 79's only hold 12 gallons? That won't feed my 408 very long if I'm having fun. Here's what I found when I went from the front of the car to the rear. This weekend I'll be working on the fix to all of this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts