Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have had my car the reverse lights have not worked, but all the other lights in the tail light assembly work fine - I know for a fact that its not the bulbs, and all fuses are good - so it leads me to the wiring. I have never dealt with the wiring before and was wondering if anyone could give me some info - where the wiring goes from after the bulbs into the tranny, what interior i have to take out if any ?? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
There is a connector on the drivers side of the tranny. It's a press on style connector with two nipples about 1/2" apart.

I've had the same problem and found out that it came off and melted itself to the h-pipe.

Greg

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've had the back up light switch that mustanggreg mentions on the trans fail. (This assuumes you have a manual trans...)

Edit: typo...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Have an interesting little tid bit of information for the "reverse light guys".

As I mentioned in my post, the press on connector had dropped off and melted itself to the h-pipe.

Well, yesterday I decided to unplug it (plug and connector to wiring harness) and go get a dealer replacement. After it was off, I tried starting the car. Nothing happened. That's wierd I thought.

Out of curiosity, I plugged the connector back into the wiring harness and voila, car started. Wierd.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares.

Greg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah the connector has a loop back to the clutch cut out switch. I was lucky enough to get a pig tail connection for my back up lights (they're really hard to find in junk yard and don't have them at dealer anymore) and once installed mine worked fine. It took me so long to locate the connector, though , that I was seriously planning to manufacture my own harness. Wouldn't be all that tough, I shouldn't think.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Never know the wire might be unplugged.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The reverse light switches are notorious for going bad.
Its located on the side of the tranny, as previously stated.

An easy way to check is to pull the plug off the switch and jump the connector with a paper clip or cotter pin.
The lights should come on with the connector jumped and the key 'on'. If the lights work, then you know the switch is bad.
The switch just threads in and out, super easy to change.
Hope this helps, G

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having this problem but mine is a automatic i don’t know what it is. All other lights are working but the reverse lights help me out please

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
start new post

1 - 11 of 11 Posts