Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a return style fuel pump regulator for my 83 mustang 5.0 it has a edlebrock carb and out of tank electric fuel pump . My question is where do I route the and put the return hose to the fuel tank any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
109 Posts
The 1985 GT was carb'd and had a return line. Maybe you can replace the sender unit with one from 85? I'm actually replacing my 85 tank with the newer efi tank and using an in tank pump and return style regulator to regulate down to carb acceptable psi. It's still in the works though....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Are you using an line and fitting? You can run a bulkhead fitting on the top of the tank for the return.

You can route them Pretty much wherever you want, as long as it’s away from heat or moving parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using an line and fitting? You can run a bulkhead fitting on the top of the tank for the return.

You can route them Pretty much wherever you want, as long as it’s away from heat or moving parts.
I was going to install this return line bung fitting kit

I was going to make a little access hole on the trunk of my hatch to get access to the top of the tank to drill and install the fitting . But was wondering if I can drill and install the return fitting at the bottom or the gas tank ?

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
109 Posts
That fitting looks like a nice way to do it. But you mentioned putting the fitting on the top and going through the hatch? If you're talking about a hatchback you probably don't want to route the fuel line through the passenger compartment, even the hatchback area. I saw on their instructions they state the fitting should go towards the top. It's a gasket fitting so i guess you run more of a risk of it leaking if it's on the very bottom.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I was going to install this return line bung fitting kit

I was going to make a little access hole on the trunk of my hatch to get access to the top of the tank to drill and install the fitting . But was wondering if I can drill and install the return fitting at the bottom or the gas tank ?
You can buy that fitting, but the ideal way is to just bite the bullet, drop the tank (which is like 5 mins), then run a bulkhead fitting with a tube that allows the fuel to return from the top, down to the bottom of the tank. This will keep bubbles from forming.

If you just run the return directly to the bottom, and not from the top, the pump has to overcome the head pressure from the fuel in the tank, which will change from when the tank is full to when it’s empty.

I’d use a fitting like this one, then run a compression style an adaptor with a 3/8 tube running down inside the tank. Best way to do it.

Reactions: neliotapia

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I did a bulkhead AN fitting on my 84 and attached a piece of AN line inside the tank down to the bottom to avoid aerating the fuel. You could also use polypropylene tubing instead to keep the return line from flopping around inside the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts