Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard and read conflicting opinions about this.

I've heard that they're not needed and that they sometimes fail (split).

And I've read that they're required. The instructions for my TFS 11r 190 heads say they're required, but they're not included in TFS's top end kit which does include a head bolt kit with flat washers.

Thanks!
Kyle

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I’ve never heard of them failing.
Use them

·
Vendor
12,204 Posts
Back in the day, early 90s i dont think they were invented when we used 351w heads on 302s, never used them even if they were available. Never an issue. But no harm in using them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Any preferred brand? Looks like TFS, AFR, Edelbrock and ARP make them.

-Kyle

·
Old timer
5,917 Posts
Thanks!

Any preferred brand? Looks like TFS, AFR, Edelbrock and ARP make them.

-Kyle
They're all about the same except for material.

Some are 1010 case hardened and others are 4140 through hardened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ed, I'm guessing the 4140 through hardened are preferable? Can you share which are which?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
AFR has a stud set that is 7/16 on one end with a 1/2 shank.. If they have them, I half-assed assume they're available elsewhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
AFR has a stud set that is 7/16 on one end with a 1/2 shank.. If they have them, I half-assed assume they're available elsewhere.
I saw those the other day when I was buying new head bolts and step down washers. They’re damn near $100 more than the bolts and washers I got. They’re being made so I’m sure they have their usefulness, but are they necessary?

·
Old timer
5,917 Posts
I saw those the other day when I was buying new head bolts and step down washers. They’re damn near $100 more than the bolts and washers I got. They’re being made so I’m sure they have their usefulness, but are they necessary?
These are through hardened.

Reactions: Defectindesign

·
Registered
483 Posts
I used TFS 1/2 x 7/16 bushings and ARP bolts to hold my 11R heads on. I don't know how they are hardened but the heads haven't fallen off yet.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I had them in the Edelbrock 6037 heads I ran for 14 years. They never cracked nor did I have any issues with them.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have Edelbrock reducers in my Edelbrock heads that were put on the engine with ARP bolts in ~'02 or 03 and if any of them have split, there is no indication. They fit tightly in the head when I installed them, so the bolt hole would have to get distorted for that to happen. Never heard of it happening either.

Now if something was wrong and the bolt seats weren't perpendicular to the deck, maybe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts