Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a new cobra driver bag, a passenger bag, and two impact sensors.

First question, what should the passenger side bag support look like? Here is mine currently:

Second, how do I reset the module so the bags don't go off in my face? I saw this procedure on youtube where you simply jump a few wires on this plug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQp74q7H2LM

Is this all I need to do, and then unplug the battery and replace the airbags?

Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I replaced the sensors and airbags. Now I have a code 12 from the airbag, which seems to be a blown fuse from some googling. However, I'm not sure exactly where that fuse is. Would the airbags deploying cause the fuse to blow?

·
Registered
107 Posts
From 1994-2000: (roughly) By now most cars come equipped with both drivers and passenger airbag and therefore both must be replaced. You must also reprogram or replace the controls module and replace damaged impact sensors and clockspring.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been told I specifically do not need a new module by several others??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eh what do I know only been in the collision industry my whole life! lol. You need to have it reset at minimum. It will need to go on a computer to do so. If fixed many many mustangs with blown bags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok I'm going to tell you exactly what you need to do but first my background. I have been in the collision repair industry since 1986 and since 1996 have owned a company called Airbag Service. All I do all day everyday is install airbag systems,dashes and wire harnesses. on your mustang you only have to replace the driver and passenger airbags. The sensors only need to be replaced if they are damaged or their mounting location is damaged. The control module can be reset jumping the wires on the gray plug under the glove box. Use the link you found. The code 12 is set because when the driver airbag deploy's it bends the horn switches and the horn blows until the fuse blows. the horn switches mount the driver airbag to the steering wheel. the passenger airbag mount gets bent from deployment and can be fixed with a hammer and a block of wood. the clock spring does not need to be replaced in most cases. If your car has cruise control I'm willing to bet the cruise switches on each side of the steering wheel are bent. you will also need to straighten both horn switches or the airbag wont mount correctly in the wheel and the horn wont work correctly. if you have more questions please ask.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did not know you could jump the wires to reset the module. Personaly I would feel better putting it on a computer. But if it works then go for it because that service is expensive. I have got away with not replacing the clock spring about 50% of the time. Sometimes it will get damaged from the bag going off, so take a good look at it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. The drivers bag seems to mount "pretty close" to how it was before, everything lined up, the gaps were just a bit larger than normal. The cruise switches seem ok, but I believe I need to put something under the button to set the speed, as it pivots but has no resistance against it anymore.

Will replace the fuse tomorrow and jump the plug and report back. I guess I'll know if my clock spring is broken by testing my horn?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found the fuse that was blown. There was a spare fuse in the fusebox cover, I replaced it, and the code is still there. I unplugged the battery with no change.

My horn isn't working, could this be the clock spring or the fact that it's showing the fuse as still blown?

·
Registered
19 Posts
you prolly still have a blown fuse. check the ones in the engine compartment.

·
11,167 Posts
Don't settle for "gaps that are a little bit larger". Now is the time to do it right. Pound the dash back in shape, test fit, pound some more.

I took all the ventillation stuff out, and the glove box.

Check your center registers to see if they're damaged, your rearview also.

and use pliers or whatever tools you need to get the driver's bag to sit properly. Just have fun. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.

... and let us know if the sensors and module can be reused, that's news to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok I'm going to tell you exactly what you need to do but first my background. I have been in the collision repair industry since 1986 and since 1996 have owned a company called Airbag Service. All I do all day everyday is install airbag systems,dashes and wire harnesses. on your mustang you only have to replace the driver and passenger airbags. The sensors only need to be replaced if they are damaged or their mounting location is damaged. The control module can be reset jumping the wires on the gray plug under the glove box. Use the link you found. The code 12 is set because when the driver airbag deploy's it bends the horn switches and the horn blows until the fuse blows. the horn switches mount the driver airbag to the steering wheel. the passenger airbag mount gets bent from deployment and can be fixed with a hammer and a block of wood. the clock spring does not need to be replaced in most cases. If your car has cruise control I'm willing to bet the cruise switches on each side of the steering wheel are bent. you will also need to straighten both horn switches or the airbag wont mount correctly in the wheel and the horn wont work correctly. if you have more questions please ask.
Hey my name's randy 43 yrs bodyshop owner have some Q's for you could we e/m [email protected] on a 07 mustang a/bag deployment thks Randy

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok I'm going to tell you exactly what you need to do but first my background. I have been in the collision repair industry since 1986 and since 1996 have owned a company called Airbag Service. All I do all day everyday is install airbag systems,dashes and wire harnesses. on your mustang you only have to replace the driver and passenger airbags. The sensors only need to be replaced if they are damaged or their mounting location is damaged. The control module can be reset jumping the wires on the gray plug under the glove box. Use the link you found. The code 12 is set because when the driver airbag deploy's it bends the horn switches and the horn blows until the fuse blows. the horn switches mount the driver airbag to the steering wheel. the passenger airbag mount gets bent from deployment and can be fixed with a hammer and a block of wood. the clock spring does not need to be replaced in most cases. If your car has cruise control I'm willing to bet the cruise switches on each side of the steering wheel are bent. you will also need to straighten both horn switches or the airbag wont mount correctly in the wheel and the horn wont work correctly. if you have more questions please a

just replaced both airbags and control module same model number in a 2000 mustang everything went well but everytime you push the horn once it the blows the fuse under the hood everytime and airbag still flashes once than pauses and then nine times can you help me out thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
just replaced both airbags and control module same model number in a 2000 mustang everything went well but everytime you push the horn once it the blows the fuse under the hood everytime and airbag still flashes once than pauses and then nine times can you help me out thank you

·
Registered
300 Posts
You’re responding to a 7 year old thread, and asking questions to a guy that was last seen on here 6 years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts