Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is my first time at trying to port. I know it`s rough ,but I have 2 GT40 intakes, upper and lower and figured why not try it on one and then do the other for my car so here is the first port before and after rough finish. Please any suggests are welcome as how to do it right.
measurements are
stock : 24.78
ported:26.79
stock: 43.31
ported: 47.03

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
You should concentrate on #1 and #5 intake ports in the lower half. They flow the least and if you do nothing else porting these two out will net you better flow balance between cylinders. The engine will fell smoother and it makes sense to try to improve the worst ports then increase the ones that are not a restriction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

You should concentrate on #1 and #5 intake ports in the lower half. They flow the least and if you do nothing else porting these two out will net you better flow balance between cylinders. The engine will fell smoother and it makes sense to try to improve the worst ports then increase the ones that are not a restriction.
I am looking at everything and not going to ignore any advice given to me on here. This one is just a test of my skills and to fine hone them .

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
doesn't look too bad at all - how are you taking your measurements????

I have a porting guide you can find at EECTuning.org if you have not seen that - lots of other articles on porting there too...........

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never tryed porting before but my last car I took the intakes off to paint and just did a port match and it seemed to make a world of difference. So if I were you while I was in there I would port match the upper to lower. Cant hurt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tmoss

doesn't look too bad at all - how are you taking your measurements????

I have a porting guide you can find at EECTuning.org if you have not seen that - lots of other articles on porting there too...........
Measurements are with a digital caliper and good old finger feel as far as thickness of sides of the port , I am getting them from the stock port before I start and after I am almost finished and trying to keep them close to the same size is tough.The ports do taper down to stock size at the bends in the intake. I am using a Felpro 1250 gasket and lining it up with the intake and Gt40 heads, tracing the opening with a black marker. I do plan on opening up the top part of the lower intake and the bottom of the top lol confusing huh ? Like I said I do have 2 of the GT40 intakes, so this one is a test bed bed to hone my skill so it will be rough in some places. Tmoss thanks coming from you is a great compliment. I promise the next one will be way better.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
the measurements must be metric - I'd use inch/.001" as that is how the gaskets and ports on heads are designated. for example an AFR 165/185 port entrance is 1.20" x 2.00" with 3/8" radius corners. Also the short side radius is ultra important at the transition into the port - my article addresses that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To Tmoss

the measurements must be metric - I'd use inch/.001" as that is how the gaskets and ports on heads are designated. for example an AFR 165/185 port entrance is 1.20" x 2.00" with 3/8" radius corners. Also the short side radius is ultra important at the transition into the port - my article addresses that.
According to an article at one of your sites there are 2 different sizes of ports on the GT40 lower intakes for the BA, BB are smaller and the BD, AA are larger. The one I have pictured is a BA model and here are the unported and finished ported openings
unported is 95"x1.65"
my is ported to 1.05"x1.85"
The one I am going to use on my car is an AA model much larger at
unported 98"x1.95" and will be used with GT40 heads not P. I am asking If I measure the intake opening on the GT 40 head and the 1.95 number is close should I just leave the 1.95 number alone and only do the .95 opening . I already know from reading, to leave the floor of the GT40 head alone ,water jacket just under it

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
there are areas to address the whole way through. not just at the gasket

concentrate on all the inside radiuses and spend extra time on 1 & 5

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Porting

there are areas to address the whole way through. not just at the gasket

concentrate on all the inside radiuses and spend extra time on 1 & 5
I will be taking extra time with the one for my car and opening it up all the way through and 1& 5 will see a lot of my time. I am not done with the BA one, yet. I need to get a gasket for the top half and follow my porting all the way up into the upper .The one I am porting now may not be the best port job,But I am sure if I throw it on Craigslist I can sale it for a quick 100 and they will get a good deal at that. Thanks tmoss and everyone else for your input and knowledge

·
Registered
333 Posts
sorry to hijack your post rodtoo40 but since your porting on a lower gt40 & tmoss is here, i had this idea (dont know if its good or bad). instead of having 8 round holes on top of the bottom intake, eliminate the divider wall between the runners & have 4 large oval holes & for the upper intake cut the divider walls a little back. so now 1 cylinder can draw air from 2 runners instead of 1. just want to hear op comments on if this would work. thanks

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Chevy "Siamesed" runners, I believe in the TPI? at any rate, you must consider that there is a phasing of air flow pulses and some pairs may have consecutive flow due to "overlap" in the air demand from adjacent runners and how that might affect the delivery of air into competing runners. The cam events play into this and you must do some calculations to get an idea for the the overlap in demand. I ran calcs based on my SD cam for an HO intake lower with that idea and found that #1 & #5 are indeed candidates (-6 degrees of air demand overlap) as were #7 & #3 (-63.5 degrees). It isn't hard to do in Excel or other spreadsheet. You can do it for .005" & .050" lift but I would use the .050" to consider doing it or not. This will also likely have an impact on any ram tuning that may exist as the waves will be affected by common areas or "windows"

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry I know this is no help but I need help where do I go on that link to find the porting guide sorry for the ridiculous post lol but I clicked the link and can't find the porting guide

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
265 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts