Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fordstrokers 363 with trickflow 190 11R and a Ti-trim. I'm wondering if a ported tubular can flow enough for that combination? The goal is roughly 700whp on e85. I currently have a Trickflow standard R series intake but love the looks of the tubular intakes. Plus it'll fit under the stock hood. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You have to port the lower quite a bit. Contact Big Dogs porting. He got my lower to flow 335 average. That's more than a R series. He also opens up the ports on the tubular upper to match the lower, and opens up the pinch point by heating it up and expanding the aluminum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to port the lower quite a bit. Contact Big Dogs porting. He got my lower to flow 335 average. That's more than a R series. He also opens up the ports on the tubular upper to match the lower, and opens up the pinch point by heating it up and expanding the aluminum.
I spoke to him about doing his stage 3 port work to it.

·
Old timer
5,874 Posts
You cannot "open up the ports on a tubular upper"...

It's a thin wall tube...

:LOL:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
He also opens up the ports on the tubular upper to match the lower, and opens up the pinch point by heating it up and expanding the aluminum.
What pinch point are you referring to?? If it's the upper TB runner pinch, there is a bolt boss that drives the need for that picnh point and you cannot bend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
What pinch point are you referring to?? If it's the upper TB runner pinch, there is a bolt boss that drives the need for that picnh point and you cannot bend it.

Just watched a viedo on YouTube last night of Brian Wolfe's '86 GT and he had a modified GT40 intake that did away with the long bolts and put in a basically straight tube from the throttle body. He said you had to work under the tube to put in a small bolt. Which sound like a pain but he ran pretty respectable numbers with it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If you start doing these mods to a real tubular gt40 upper, what's the point of using the Gt40 upper? You lose the look of having a Gt40 and you ruin any value of it. You are then just wasting performance and money.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Trim off the bolt boss, heat up the aluminum and use a spreader to open it up I guess. I have never done it but I have seen the results. It was actually body worked out to look pretty good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I spoke to him about doing his stage 3 port work to it.
I have used four of Tom's intakes and currently have two, one in use. The one I have from Tony will go under my Kenne Bell. Its "stage III", what ever that means. What I can tell you is its opened way up, welded and powder coated. Very nice quality and finish and it passes the socket test.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you start doing these mods to a real tubular gt40 upper, what's the point of using the Gt40 upper? You lose the look of having a Gt40 and you ruin any value of it. You are then just wasting performance and money.
You like the look of the bolt boss pinch point?

·
Old timer
5,874 Posts
The base and the throttle body mount to be more specific. Those are certainly not "thin wall tube"
So what good is an hourglass shaped runner?

:cool:

·
USAF retired
9,086 Posts
Just watched a viedo on YouTube last night of Brian Wolfe's '86 GT and he had a modified GT40 intake that did away with the long bolts and put in a basically straight tube from the throttle body. He said you had to work under the tube to put in a small bolt. Which sound like a pain but he ran pretty respectable numbers with it.
I used to have one of those intakes, that nut under the crossover tube is a pain in the crank.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
On my tubular, The pinch bolt is removed and you simply use a smaller bolt at the base. Just need to either paint or power coat it. T moss also did the lower.
No one can see that - here it is where you can see it. THIS you can massage and we have done that........ but only twice as it ruins the value of the very desirable and expensive upper. People need to be sure you get all the details in posts.........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
How much boost can a tubular upper take before the tubes split?

·
Registered
85 Posts
No one can see that - here it is where you can see it. THIS you can massage and we have done that........ but only twice as it ruins the value of the very desirable and expensive upper. People need to be sure you get all the details in posts.........
Agree that I could have taken a better picture. This upper was modified many many moons ago. Well before the values took off. Just wanted to add something to the discussion of days gone by. Like the model A and the fox body who could have guess the prices command these days.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would love to see someone do some tests, with an unmolested tubular upper vs one where the throat has been opened just to see if there is a worthwhile jump in CFM. Just because you open the throat area does not mean you will cram any more air through the tubes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts