Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have Dart 347 built by Ford Strokers with a Vortech V1 T-trim. I finally upgraded the fuel system to accommodate the build and in doing so, I put a smaller pulley on the blower that I had from my last set up. I mean, at this point, why not?

I went out with the tuner and the car ended up pushing 17 psi of boost. While it's purring like a kitten in the cool winter air, I live in Sacramento and it gets as hot AF during the summer

Assuming the likely that I have detonation issues once the temps rise, these are the options that I see moving forward. . .

1. Meth/Water injection. - An inexpensive fix, but I'm not a fan of the extra maintenance.

2. Run and tune for E85. - Only two stations in my town offering. Really the only hold back for me on this.

3. Intercooler. - Expensive, but one and done.

4. Pulley back down to 12 psi. - But why?

Any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si @10 psi Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
218 Posts
If your considering an inner cooler and have the funds and room I’d go that direction
Don’t think you’ll ever regret that

If not then maybe just take out some timing based on act if you can?

-pretty cool your in Sac. I’m near lodi area and hope to be running my new fordstrokers engine some hot summer evening in sac lol.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'd go E85. I have to drive 12 miles one way to get my E85. It's worth it though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: theconductor

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
17lbs on gasoline, using a blower, without an intercooler isn’t something I’d consider.

Get the intercooler. Even if you go e85 it’s still beneficial.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
To start with, what's your compression ratio?

Reactions: revcor

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend a knock detector system from J&S:

These are sophisticated electronics that can save your motor buy pulling timing if it hears any amount of knock. I have the Vampire system on my car and it's a great piece to have. • How it works:

The system makes a spark, then decides if there was knock. If knock is detected, software "knows" it had to come from the cylinder that just fired, and that cylinder won't fire again for two revolutions.

When that cylinder comes up to fire the next time, software dials in the calculated amount of knock retard. It does this as each cylinder goes by, building up a different timing curve for each cylinder if knock is detected.

The unit retards in steps, a total of ten steps are possible. Each step is one or two degrees, depending on a user mode switch. When knock is detected, software retards in proportion to knock intensity.

The unit responds to inaudible knock, and retards quickly enough to prevent knock from becoming audible. The re-advance rate is one step every twenty revolutions. Note that the unit will not advance beyond stock timing. Of course, you may choose to bump the timing a bit after installing the unit.

ks

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would go the intercooler route as stated above. I also have the Vampire. Having rebuilt an engine due to detonation, I would not run with out a knock sensor and vampire again. Even if you have a knock sensor, the damage may be done by the time you see it. The Vampire will have already caught and corrected it a revolution after it starts. I think it is the best piece of safety equipment for your engine available.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best bet is a knock detection system like mentioned and e85. You could run an additive like VP Octanium, although the orange residue from MMT on plugs is a turnoff for some people. I run e85 and alky injection on one of my cars, it'll never knock again. Lowering boost is just no fun.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts
what is your tuner using to tune the car, and what did he suggest?

1. Meth/Water injection. - An inexpensive fix, but I'm not a fan of the extra maintenance.
please elaborate on the "extra maintenance"

2. Run and tune for E85. - Only two stations in my town offering. Really the only hold back for me on this.
how close are you to these two stations? setting up your fuel system for E85 will not be cheap, although if you're close to these places than that's a huge upside, although how will you switch between pump gas and E85 tune?

aa and meth/water injection work well together

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Snow system with their Boost juice. Never had to do any maintenance on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What compression, pullies and shift point?
Compression is 8.5:1. I have the rev limiter set to 6500. I'm running a 6.87 crank and 2.95 blower pulley

what is your tuner using to tune the car, and what did he suggest?

how close are you to these two stations? setting up your fuel system for E85 will not be cheap, although if you're close to these places than that's a huge upside, although how will you switch between pump gas and E85 tune?

aa and meth/water injection work well together
-I'm using a MS PNP2. I haven't asked the tuner for advice yet (@a91what), but he did pull some timing until things get squared away.
-My fuel system should be e85 ready. I guess I may just be assuming this.
-That is the intercooler set up that I'm looking at.

I have a Snow system with their Boost juice. Never had to do any maintenance on it.
You have to keep methanol in the system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your considering an inner cooler and have the funds and room I’d go that direction
Don’t think you’ll ever regret that

If not then maybe just take out some timing based on act if you can?

-pretty cool your in Sac. I’m near lodi area and hope to be running my new fordstrokers engine some hot summer evening in sac lol.
Good to find another local-ish! I'm actually in Roseville. I've barely had a summer to drive my car since ordering the motor 3 years ago. It's been a process, but I'm close!

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
are you logging IAT and manifold pressure at the present ambients?

you should be as a reference.

is your system speed density?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are you logging IAT and manifold pressure at the present ambients?

you should be as a reference.

is your system speed density?
I've only been on the one drive since the last upgrade. I hope to get out on my next set of days off to datalog.

The MS runs off of the engine vacuum lines (and all other sensors via the factory harness) and the MAF has been removed. So, closer to speed density.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another question. . . Do any E85 users on here add a fuel lubricant to the tank when they fill up? I'm led to believe by one our most respected local tuners (who sadly no longer messes with foxbodies) that it's a must with California's E85.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
I've only been on the one drive since the last upgrade. I hope to get out on my next set of days off to datalog.

The MS runs off of the engine vacuum lines (and all other sensors via the factory harness) and the MAF has been removed. So, closer to speed density.
THAT IS speed density

you are going to be driving 100s of hours while logging to build VE tables, which may or may not be to your liking

I would stay clear of speed density, unless you love rinse and repeat tuning

Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
THAT IS speed density

you are going to be driving 100s of hours while logging to build VE tables, which may or may not be to your liking

I would stay clear of speed density, unless you love rinse and repeat tuning
Lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts