Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is bad news, tell me if I’m wrong before I pull my transmission out.

This is the starter out of my Factory Five Cobra, which has an ‘87 mustang drivetrain.

The engine and trans were rebuilt in 2007 and have about 5000miles since.
There’s some oil on the trans but I can’t find an oil leak. I pulled the starter and found this, there’s also oil inside the bell housing.

I’m assuming either the rear main is leaking or if I’m lucky i forgot to put sealer on the flywheel bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,272 Posts
can be rear china wall to intake

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
It's a SBF, they leak out of every orifice :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Do you have a borescope you can put in the bellhousing hole for the starter and inspect that area of the rear seal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a borescope you can put in the bellhousing hole for the starter and inspect that area of the rear seal?
I have an inspection camera,
All I can see is that there is oil being slung by the flywheel on to the bell housing. I can t tell which side of the flywheel it’s coming from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what oil pan was used
The engine builder put a new pan on, it’s not a Ford pan.
There’s no oil on the front side of the plate between the engine and trans but there is oil on the back of the plate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going to attest unbolt the trans and pull it back then pull the bell housing and inspect.
If it’s just seeping from the rear main I’ll leave well enough alone and put it back together.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
No loctite on the flywheel bolts can cause oil to leak past the threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts