Ford Mustang Forums banner

381 - 400 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.. My 87 conversion is running!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great thread. There seems to be a lot of EFI wiring headaches. Hope fully I have an easier time. I have a 91 V8 hatch donor and a new (to me) 91 4 banger notch. The notch will be getting my c4 and a carbed 342 stroker. I am also thinking of running a mechanical fuel pump. Will this simplify things? The notch will be a weekend toy and strip car. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quick question on the headlight harness

I never could find a pin out of the main connectors.

So I checked and drew em up myself..

I have a few wires I need to ID yet..
On the 87-89 harness. Small 3 pin plug.. What is the brown orange wire?

On the 91+ harness
In the big 8 pin connector. What are the Light blue and Red/Yellow (they both go to a flat 4 pin connector near the battery) Light brown is fog lights right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 88 4cyl auto that I am converting to a 5.0. I have a complete running 92 Gt 5spd to swap everything out of. From what I have read in this thread I will have to use pretty much the whole 92 wiring harness in the 88 for it to work. Which is no big deal since I plan on taking both dashes out anyways. So under dash harness, engine harness and headlight harness and computer will be swapped. My question is about the steering column? Will I have to use the 92 since the harness will have the airbag connectors? I would really like to stay with the 88 tilt wheel. And what about the fuel door release. Will that even be on the 92 harness?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think in this case most recommend swapping in the entire 92 harness front to back..

At a minimum you'll need the headlight harness, ECU harness, O2 harness, All of the the dash harness, trans harness.

I don't know if the 92 wiring is compatible with the rear harness.. 88 has the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat.. 92 is up front by the engine so there is definitely some difference in the harness back to that point.

Are you going to use the 92 dash?
Sorry I can't answer you steering column question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think in this case most recommend swapping in the entire 92 harness front to back..

At a minimum you'll need the headlight harness, ECU harness, O2 harness, All of the the dash harness, trans harness.

I don't know if the 92 wiring is compatible with the rear harness.. 88 has the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat.. 92 is up front by the engine so there is definitely some difference in the harness back to that point.

Are you going to use the 92 dash?
Sorry I can't answer you steering column question.
I'm using the 88 dash with the 92 cluster. I'm going to replace all the wiring that's different on it. So basically everything. Ha. I need to get the 92 apart a little more to see if the connectors are the same for the steering colum stuff I guess and go from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I want to install the FRPP 340hp 306ci engine available from 5.0 resto in my 4cyl coupe... Would it be better to purchase a donor 5.0 eng. for front accessory drive and sensors (will be running EFI still) ? I was thinking about buying everything new from 5.0 resto but not sure how much it will be. They have pretty good deals on new ECM's and sensors. Any advice?

-Also I was gonna go with a oem new fuel tank and 190lph pump... Does that sound like enough fuel for that engine? Gonna be just basic all motor mild set up.. Basically out of the box straight into the car...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I want to install the FRPP 340hp 306ci engine available from 5.0 resto in my 4cyl coupe... Would it be better to purchase a donor 5.0 eng. for front accessory drive and sensors (will be running EFI still) ? I was thinking about buying everything new from 5.0 resto but not sure how much it will be. They have pretty good deals on new ECM's and sensors. Any advice?

-Also I was gonna go with a oem new fuel tank and 190lph pump... Does that sound like enough fuel for that engine? Gonna be just basic all motor mild set up.. Basically out of the box straight into the car...
I have done only 1 4 cly. to 5.0 conversion....89 4cyl. coupe...use an 87 gt roll over donor car...had every thing i needed....

·
Registered
57 Posts
okay bare with me here im new to this and i sort of have an idear of whats going on here. say if i was swapping my 4 banger to a 5.8 id need what to make the wiring work? a 90 maf harness? and what else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What if you have a 79 Turbo and youre swapping to a CFI HO 5.0? I have everything done except the wiring. Tryin to use the stock 79 Duraspark till I can afford to switch to MSD

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'm in process now on 91 hatch/auto/black interior into 89 coupe T5 swap. I'm installing airbag column, all harness' and power windows into coupe along with black interior and 5 speed. Includes GT40P heads, TFS spring kit, 1.6 RR, lunati 51023 cam and GT40 tubular intake. Car has GT K-member and brakes already, brakes look the same but booster is smaller.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hello im trying to swap my 86 4cyl mustang to a 302 efi motor my question is.
i have a engine wiring harness out of a 90-91 mustang i need to know how hard it would be to get this harness to work with the 86 dash and interior harness? plus do i need to swap to a v8 interior wiring harness or will the 4 cyl one work? thanks

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
hello im trying to swap my 86 4cyl mustang to a 302 efi motor my question is.
i have a engine wiring harness out of a 90-91 mustang i need to know how hard it would be to get this harness to work with the 86 dash and interior harness? plus do i need to swap to a v8 interior wiring harness or will the 4 cyl one work? thanks
One option for you is to do a complete wiring swap, headlights to tail lights, and then modify the new harness' to work w/ your lights & gauges, etc. PITA

#2 - get out the wiring diagrams for both models. Install the EEC Main Harness, O2 sensor Harness, Engine Harness and then cut / splice those into your exisiting body harness. PITA

·
Registered
63 Posts
another dumb question that might have already been asked...i am doing a v8 swap into my 93 lx 4 banger i am using a 89 gt for the donor mainly for the engine trans well the mechanical parts not really the electrical. i know i need a mid 92 to 93 harness for plug and play along with the headlight harness. but will i need the engine harness also and the trans one also or can i use the one from the 89? and i will also need to transfer all the vacuum stuff to my 93

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
After looking through all of these post. I think i have my answer????? I have 90 4cyl. That I am swaping to v8. And looks like i will need a 90 v8 harness only. Right?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hmmm I'm not in as good shape as i thought. I have a 91 4 cyl and a 93 V8 donor car. Am I correct in saying, the only way this will work is to change the computer harness along with the body harness also. By body harness I mean the dash wiring as well. Or all wiring in the 93 to the 91?

381 - 400 of 426 Posts