Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
These threads are getting stupider by the day. Did Facebook close?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Biden voters in every crowd....
You ask a question with almost no information about a problem that might be engine, transmission, or rear end related with almost no diagnostic testing, and then resort to name calling when you get sarcastic answers?

You sir (and I use that term quite loosely) need to visit your therapist ASAP before you hurt yourself, or somebody else. There are obviously anger management issues that need to be addressed.

Jay

·
Registered
793 Posts
engines fine, it was the starter.
Thinking past the obvious...
My first thought the way he described it. Something inside bell housing hitting. Have had starters break off and transmission casings split. Other one that came to mind was major spark plug failure/damage.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bentley, after reading your first post again, with the lack of info provided or taking the time to diagnose, perhaps this thread is better suited in the members build section rather than tech.

·
Registered
933 Posts
No participation by OP for a while. I'm worried about him, might have suffered head trauma, or a stroke, or maybe he just sobered up and is too embarrassed to return?

Come back Bentley, we will get this kaboom-bang-bang dilemma figured out!

Jay

·
Registered
235 Posts
No participation by OP for a while. I'm worried about him, might have suffered head trauma, or a stroke, or maybe he just sobered up and is too embarrassed to return?

Come back Bentley, we will get this kaboom-bang-bang dilemma figured out!

Jay
Careful. It’s knocka-knocka. Not bang-bang. People might be reading this in 20 years and we don’t want them to get confused

·
Registered
933 Posts
Careful. It’s knocka-knocka. Not bang-bang. People might be reading this in 20 years and we don’t want them to get confused
At least that sound isn't nearly as expensive to fix as the Klunka-chunka-cha-ching sound! If you hear that sound, just roll it off the cliff, it's not worth trying to salvage!

Ok Bentley, I know it's not right to make fun of the "slow kid". I'll try to stop, the Devil made me do it!

Jay

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
112 Posts
Geez, you guys are ruthless. He posted about this car a few months ago, and the story behind it. I liked the car and was hoping to see an update and maybe come alive at some point. Yeah, not really tech, but this forum isn't all that busy.

Were you planning on a whole new drivetrain or just getting this one cruising? I thought I remembered you said you had some other cars and this one was just going to be stock for cruising around.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ok, so when it supposedly blew up it made a loud BANG and started knocking.. I always assumed it was a broken rod or something obvious...

Looked at it from the outside?? The only thing left on it is the heads... Sure, the next step would be to remove heads, and check rod and main bearings, I agree...

I will be looking at the transmission and the rear end a little more closely now....
You obviously know what to do. I dont think there is any shortcut to be had in trying to diagnose the problem. Just gotta get your hands dirty and tear into it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You obviously know what to do. I dont think there is any shortcut to be had in trying to diagnose the problem. Just gotta get your hands dirty and tear into it.
All joking aside, above comment is readily apparent. OP knows what to do. I really don't understand the point of his post, maybe he's pissed that a Chinese owned fraud was installed as head jester of the castle. Maybe his business or job has been deleted by a fraudulent "pandemic". Who knows a damned thing any more other than we are all taking it up the arse. Yep Bentley, I'm pissed too!

Jay

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
The moron brigade is starting to enter all of these threads now. What a shame.
Exactly why I stopped responding, and I thought the Mopar guys were the dorks..

When this car blew up on my sister she had it hauled to a mechanic who told her it was done for... so 20 years later I finally have been able to pull the engine to see what happened to it....

I have an Explorer engine apart and the crank/block are at the Machine shop now as I wanted to upgrade to a roller cam motor, so my interest in the original engine was curiosity.

I took it apart, Pan off, Intake and valve covers off, Timing cover and harmonic balancer removed.. I was surprised how there was NO apparent damage based on what I was told by the previous owner ( my sister) when it stopped running....

I was surprised as there were NO broken rods, broken cam, bent or missing pushrods, from the bottom I can see NO cracked cylinder walls.. No broken rocker arms, while worn, the timing chain and gears were good....

I drained the oil before taking off the pan and NO metal bits and the oil was not shiny at all.....

Very aware that it could be a spun bearing, but I am not going to get that involved with it.. Guess it was not as much a question about this engine, but more of laying out my thought process on here... Maybe not very good at it??

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have heard failing smog pumps sound like a spun bearing.
you will likely never figure it out from after all these years.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Exactly why I stopped responding, and I thought the Mopar guys were the dorks..

When this car blew up on my sister she had it hauled to a mechanic who told her it was done for... so 20 years later I finally have been able to pull the engine to see what happened to it....

I have an Explorer engine apart and the crank/block are at the Machine shop now as I wanted to upgrade to a roller cam motor, so my interest in the original engine was curiosity.

I took it apart, Pan off, Intake and valve covers off, Timing cover and harmonic balancer removed.. I was surprised how there was NO apparent damage based on what I was told by the previous owner ( my sister) when it stopped running....

I was surprised as there were NO broken rods, broken cam, bent or missing pushrods, from the bottom I can see NO cracked cylinder walls.. No broken rocker arms, while worn, the timing chain and gears were good....

I drained the oil before taking off the pan and NO metal bits and the oil was not shiny at all.....

Very aware that it could be a spun bearing, but I am not going to get that involved with it.. Guess it was not as much a question about this engine, but more of laying out my thought process on here... Maybe not very good at it??
The real question should have been, "what is this engine worth" and include what you need a 302 engine for. If it's for another pre-1985 Ford, than it may be worth using as is, if it's not hurt. That would make the first question valid, try to salvage some or all of it.

For any later Ford, that engine doesn't have a lot of value, you should be able to find other similar 302 cores for a couple hundred dollars, those being roller engines with E7 or better heads. The Explorer engines are still worth a few hundred, their heads and intake alone make them worth the trouble to buy still.

The valve covers from the old engine are worth keeping or selling, the rest is not very special.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts