Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AEM EMS in my 95, it is a long story but the ems was actually for a Honda, we rewired the harness plug and had aem recalibrate the ems to work with my car. Car is running now, but I can not control the timing because I have no SPOUT output.
on the 1401 the SPOUT output is pin 36 I believe.

if I wire the SPOUT to one of the coil drivers on the EMS will this control the spout to Tfi module?

or is there a way to byoass the TFI altogether and just drive the coil with the ems

Thanks guys

·
Registered
101 Posts
Which Honda box (part number) are you running? And you're using the distributor to pickup crank position?

What do you mean that you cannot control timing? Have you used the "Set Timing" box in AEMPro?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to let me buddy chime in on this TT460. He is very familiar with the ems as hes been using them for a few years and he is who wired my car for it. I think we are going go go distributorless and run an AEM EPM and LS coil on plug.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't control timing because we don't have the SPOUT hooked up so there no signal to the TFI

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
EMS 30-1020 is the model. Crank signal is picked up from the dizzy yes. The TFI module requires a signal via SPOUT... essentially the car runs as if the SPOUT connector is unplugged and the TFI module locks timing at 10deg... timing control via EMS doesn't function at all currently.

Was looking for a way to duplicate the SPOUT output the 30-1401, with no luck. was talking to AEM support, unfortunately their efforts are being put on their newer products and supporting this type of setup is not ranking very high on their interests..

I think Lazy_stang will be picking up an AEM EPM 30-3252 and some LS coils and we'll just get rid of the TFI and Dizzy setup altogether.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's been awhile since I've wired in a Ford distributor, but I thought there was only the crank signal from the distributor that needed to go back to the EMS and then the COIL1 output from the AEM goes to the SPOUT. Otherwise the TFI module defaults to a 10-degree limp home mode.

The factory TFI distributor does a horrible job with the AEM which is why you see most people going to crank triggers. You'll be best to go distributor-less, or at the very least (and most cost effective) install a crank trigger and use the distributor as a cam pickup and keep the single coil. That way if you have a factory gauge cluster the tach will still work and the high RPM miss that the factory distributor causes will go away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts