Ford Mustang Forums banner

141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I just pulled my factory eec harness out. Main etc connector, a green connector, ground, eec relay and a gray circle connector with 4 wires in it. What is that circular harness for?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Thanks. What about the green connector? Trying to figure out the easiest way to wire up the fuel pump since the pump relay gets removed in 91-93 cars. I was wondering if the left over harnesses were for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine is a 89 so the fuel relay stays under the driver's seat. I plan to hook the Holley green wire to the green connector and ground the wire wire that went to the computer. (Have not gotten to that part so....)

Sounds like you need the pin out to the Green connector for a newer car. I would think you want to install a relay.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have been weeding and repining a wireing harness out of an 88 t-bird. I didn't want to cut up my harness. I think I am getting pretty close.
I have attached my latest sketch of wiring hook up.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about the green connector? Trying to figure out the easiest way to wire up the fuel pump since the pump relay gets removed in 91-93 cars. I was wondering if the left over harnesses were for the fuel pump.
I am just about finished installing a Terminator X in my 1992 and ran into the same issue of the fuel relay being part of the removed engine harness instead of under the seat like the 86-91’s. On the green plug near where the old ecm connected, there is a dark green with yellow stripe wire that runs power back to the inertia switch and then fuel pump.

I installed a relay with a power wire going to a power post I have near the battery. I ran the wire along side the main Holley power and ground harness that go direct to the battery. This is my power in and used the dark green with yellow wire (from the green plug) as my power out to the pump. I used the solid green wire from the Holley harness to trigger the relay and of course found a spot for the ground.

I haven’t fired the car up yet (hope to this weekend) but I believe this should work in our 92-93’s.

***edit: Fired the car up for the first time tonight and the fuel pump wiring worked as it should.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, all of that helps me tremendously! That makes the fuel pump part much easier. I'm going to run the holley green wire to term 86, 85 ground to where the eec was grounded, 87 to the factory dark green/yellow wire and 30 to battery.

I'll wire up the coil with a relay as well using the low coolant sensor as my 12v +

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just pulled my factory eec harness out. Main etc connector, a green connector, ground, eec relay and a gray circle connector with 4 wires in it. What is that circular harnessinstalled.
I just pulled my factory eec harness out. Main etc connector, a green connector, ground, eec relay and a gray circle connector with 4 wires in it. What is that circular harness for?
Just got the fuse block that Azmack suggested... nice peace for the money
Anyone going to run electric fans through their Holley??
I have a Dakota Digital running 2 fans now , might just keep that for now ..
Glad you like the terminal block, it is a nice piece. I too was running a Dakota digital with the contour fan assembly. I ditched the Dakota and run the fans through the Holley. Wiring is simple; run the Holley fan outputs to the two output wire connections from the Dakota on the fan relays. If you add a VSS to your trans, you can use this signal to shut off the fans at any given speed. I used auto meter part # 5292. You maintain the factory speedo cable with this part. Danny has a really good write up on this install on the Holley forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does the Holley allow the fans to run on a timer after the car is shut off?? That’s probably the best feature I like about Dakota digital..
I was reading about the VSS something about sensors in tremec is different?? Really haven’t researched that much.

I’m wondering about the gas gauge??
Nobody has mentioned wiring that, mines works when it wants .. changed the sender, sloshed module, new capacitor , still hit or miss

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does the Holley allow the fans to run on a timer after the car is shut off?? That’s probably the best feature I like about Dakota digital..
I was reading about the VSS something about sensors in tremec is different?? Really haven’t researched that much.

Nobody has mentioned wiring that, mines works when it wants .. changed the sender, sloshed module, new capacitor , still hit or miss

Fuel gauge is part of the power circuit so thats an issue outside of Ecu / Holley control. All stock gauges are part of the power circuit. You can still use the Holley to control you fans simply swap out your current fan relays for something like this:

Hella Adjustable Time Delay Units 996152131.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I also picked up the online led power/ground block. $12 on amazon. Theres just too many wires that go directly to the battery that it would start to look sloppy. I am going to run a 4g feed wire from the battery for it.

Edit.. Looking at the piece, looks like 4g might be too big? What size feeds are you guys using?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also picked up the online led power/ground block. $12 on amazon. Theres just too many wires that go directly to the battery that it would start to look sloppy. I am going to run a 4g feed wire from the battery for it.

Edit.. Looking at the piece, looks like 4g might be too big? What size feeds are you guys using?
10ga will more then suffice, you won’t be drawing anywhere close to 30 amps but the line loss can be an issue, especially if you have your battery in the back. FYI I used 10ga from the battery to the fused block and then 10amp fuses for protection.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I mounted my fuse block to the ecu bracket under the seat along with my 2 relays for the fuel pump and ignition coil. Trying to keep everything neat and minimize any excess under hood wiring. I will use 10g for my feeds.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am getting close. Need to put the H-Pipe back in and it should be ready to fire.

I am pretty sure I had the timing set at 14* with the stock computer. Should I try to take some out before I start it or can I just adjust it after it's running?

I have not started my I/O. Did you just splice it to the I/O harness or did you used. Connector or terminal strip? I think it will be fine for now but if I turbo it ,in the future I am afraid I will not have enough.

Electric fan, two step, A/C, flex fuel, waste gate, second fuel pump, speed sensors (traction control)....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am getting close. Need to put the H-Pipe back in and it should be ready to fire.

I am pretty sure I had the timing set at 14* with the stock computer. Should I try to take some out before I start it or can I just adjust it after it's running?

I have not started my I/O. Did you just splice it to the I/O harness or did you used. Connector or terminal strip? I think it will be fine for now but if I turbo it ,in the future I am afraid I will not have enough.

Electric fan, two step, A/C, flex fuel, waste gate, second fuel pump, speed sensors (traction control)....
Timing: just make sure whatever you have physically set your timing too matches the Holley. You can adjust your physical timing (timing light on damper) so both match at startup. 10 degrees is the standard per Holley.

I/O: I physically pin each I/O to an independent connector so I can disconnect if and when needed. I use simple Molex pins and connectors. You can use a terminal strip as well. I did cut the connector off of the "power tap" and wired to a terminal strip. This way you can power multiple sensors if need be.

Power Tap Pin A – Chassis ground Power Tap Pin B – Sensor ground Power Tap Pin C – Sensor 5V Power Tap Pin D – Output from fuel pump relay (battery voltage when engine is running)

If you run the "standard" configuration (electric fans and A/C), you should have 3 inputs and 1 output available for other sub systems. One output can enable multiple inputs (the And / Or setup) You could use a stand alone controller for your fans and use those outputs for something else; get creative with some relay logic as well. I got the "Max" version. I'm running an AOD currently and the Max is setup for a 4R70W. I ran an after market VSS sensor for the AOD into the Max harness. I'll eventually swap in a 4R70W since AOD parts are getting hard to come by.

The Terminator X was designed for the retro fit / swap crowd for street applications thus the limited I/O. Doesn't mean you can't run a turbo / blower etc, just a simplified version is all. FYI the turbo LS guys love this system. Holley does have a boost control 557-201. I may add nitrous down the road and they have a module for that as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am starting to wish I would have spent the money on the MAX I am not sure if I will ever end up with an auto in the car but I bet it will be expensive to upgrade in the future.

I was thinking a waterproof JB with terminal strip under the hood. That way if I needed to switch them at the track I would be easy.

SamIdea(TM) 4.3"x 3.1" x 2.8" ABS IP66 Waterproof Universal Electrical Project Enclosure Junction Box With 8P 15A Barrier Terminals,1IN/3 Out Cable Glands https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073THQKBB/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_exMzEbCJAQSN2

While N/A on pump gas I don't think it will be a problem. I will have to make choices if I add flexfuel and boost control.

A/C I&O
Fan 0 (maybe two it has a high and low I am just using high now)
2-step I
Speed sensor I (2 for traction control)
Flex fuel I
Boost controler O
Dome / MAP for boost control I

Let me know if I am missing anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So for those that have the x and are up and running, what do you think? Any regrets? Would rather have went with something like the pimpxs? I'm currently planning to get one. Only concerns are the i/o. With a/c, electric fans, maybe flexfuel, and all the turbo stuff down the line, kinda worried. Worst case I get a separate fan controller like the dakota digital one. But it's a concern of not having the ability to add options.

I also saw that dakota digital has a canbus interface module specifically for the Holley stuff to connect to their dash, pretty trick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So for those that have the x and are up and running, what do you think? Any regrets? Would rather have went with something like the pimpxs? I'm currently planning to get one. Only concerns are the i/o. With a/c, electric fans, maybe flexfuel, and all the turbo stuff down the line, kinda worried. Worst case I get a separate fan controller like the dakota digital one. But it's a concern of not having the ability to add options.

I also saw that dakota digital has a canbus interface module specifically for the Holley stuff to connect to their dash, pretty trick.
You can run fans, a/c with turbo with no issues. I’m N/A but will add nitrous in the future, Holley has an add on module that uses 1 input to control the nitrous solenoids plus an additional output when you enable the nitrous INF file in the software.

141 - 160 of 214 Posts