Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You could always use the polymer gear as well. My cam is a non-billet hydraulic roller and I was told by the maker to run Steel. Good luck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You could always use the polymer gear as well. My cam is a non-billet hydraulic roller and I was told by the maker to run Steel. Good luck.
Yeah TRI-TEC and Comp both have polymer gears but it will not fit the EPM that AEM sells........

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I re-verified today with Jay for good measure....I'm good with the steel.

Whew...

·
Registered
4,375 Posts

There u have it guys....MSD dizzy with the EPM on top. I'll let u guys know how it works.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Good deal!!

Did you just machine the base or what?

Can you post a picture of the top without the epm mounted?

Dale
I did not do the work but my buddy/fabricator did. The base is a magnetic crank trigger MSD dizzy with the cap removed. The shaft was slotted to accept the epm. But it was not as simple as slapping the EMP and drilling 3 holes to attach the emp because the three holes have to be perfectly ROUND. I believe he used a tracer on the millng machine to place the EPM precisely in the center of the shaft.

I do not have pics of the top without the epm...i may snap some at later time.

WE did find out however the 2 shaft sytem of AEM EPM allows the gear to thrust upwards since the gear is on a seperate shaft. This could be the very cause of our chewed up gears.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I did not do the work but my buddy/fabricator did. The base is a magnetic crank trigger MSD dizzy with the cap removed. The shaft was slotted to accept the epm. But it was not as simple as slapping the EMP and drilling 3 holes to attach the emp because the three holes have to be perfectly ROUND. I believe he used a tracer on the millng machine to place the EPM precisely in the center of the shaft.

I do not have pics of the top without the epm...i may snap some at later time.

WE did find out however the 2 shaft sytem of AEM EPM allows the gear to thrust upwards since the gear is on a seperate shaft. This could be the very cause of our chewed up gears.
Can you give me the part number of the exact MSD dizzy that was used? I have a couple laying around in the shop and may have one that will work.

I have access to mills and lathes so that will not be a problem mounting the EPM module.

Yep if it is a two shaft system and the lower shaft is moving up and down that will cause the bronze/aluminum gears to wear faster.........Not good...

Thanks for the info.
Dale

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Can you give me the part number of the exact MSD dizzy that was used? I have a couple laying around in the shop and may have one that will work.

I have access to mills and lathes so that will not be a problem mounting the EPM module.

Yep if it is a two shaft system and the lower shaft is moving up and down that will cause the bronze/aluminum gears to wear faster.........Not good...

Thanks for the info.
Dale
Used an MSD 8378 this is for a 351w so buy according to your motor (obviously). This dizzy just happened to need minimal modifications b/c the base was big enough to bolt the module to. Others may not be so easy.

good luck

·
Registered
588 Posts
Used an MSD 8378 this is for a 351w so buy according to your motor (obviously). This dizzy just happened to need minimal modifications b/c the base was big enough to bolt the module to. Others may not be so easy.

good luck
Thanks for the info!! :D

Dale

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I finally got to see one the newer ProComp distributor setups that a guy brought by the shop last night........and my very first thought was what a piece of junk..............

I will definitely be sticking with an MSD, stock Ford or Performance Distributors type setup as far as the shaft & housings go.

:lol:

·
Registered
259 Posts
pro comp bronze gear pc-1084..
chewed after 1hr of run time...
drained my oil and you can see a bronze film through out it
hope it didn't wipe my motor ..more so my t-trim

:(

considering ditching my billit cam for one with the press on steel gear compatible one

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
pro comp bronze gear pc-1084..
chewed after 1hr of run time...
drained my oil and you can see a bronze film through out it
hope it didn't wipe my motor ..more so my t-trim

:(

considering ditching my billit cam for one with the press on steel gear compatible one
I have an AEM EMP setup on a MSD base with an MSD bronze gear for sale if you want. Had to pay big bucks to have it custom done. Let me know if ur interested. It solved all my gear eating issues.

BTW your oil filter should have caught all the bronze material. I went through 2 gears on a new motor with no problems.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead.

After reading this thread, I am not going to take a chance with the bronze gear. I see there is one person making it work, but not good enuf odds for me.

My new cam-motion tight lash solid roller is a billet core cam, it came with a special gear that fits on a stock dizzy shaft. So, I purchased a used explorer cam position module. The new gear will fit on this without any mods. Now I have to see if we can machine the top and put the AEM EPM on top of that. If not, I will just have to resort to running a crank trigger wheel with the Explorer cam position module. I'll let you know how it works out, but I am not going to run the AEM EPM with their bronze gear set up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Hey guys, reviving this thread back from the dead again. I haven't had a chance to use the car a whole lot due to being busy with other things. However I last purchased replacement gears from jegs as my original gear was starting to show its normal wear and I decided to replace due to the age. When I got the new (2) gears I ordered I noticed the color of the gears was different and appear to be a different material than the original one sent to me by AEM. Skeptical I ran the new gear for a few passes and re-checked. There is very noticeable wear after short a short running period (Approx 6 passes) At this point I am wanting to see if there is a way to run a composite gear to prevent further issues and extend longativity. Does anyone know who would be able to duplicate the 1084 pro comp gear in composite or possibly who could already have this?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts