Discussion Starter #41

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Looks well thoughtout. I like it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have had outstanding results with the AEM system in my car for the last two years until I started getting timing errors all of a sudden. After doing the research, a lot of people were going to the EPM system with coil on plug. I just finished getting my car running with the new setup and it runs like never before. Outstanding idle quality and throttle response with smooth crisp pulls at the track so far. The AEM system has so many options such as boost control, nitrous control, two step / multiple rev limiters , individual cylinder tuning, internal and external datalogging etc etc. So those of you who trash talk the system, you obviously were doing something wrong or had the wrong person tuning it.
My comment was aimed at using inferior parts from Pro-Comp.
Unless Pro-Comp's quality/materials and craftsmanship have improved you can bet that I will "NOT" be using it in my 363 dart motor.....

Keep us updated on the gear longevity that they supplied for the EPM. I am interested to see how well it wears and how long it lasts.

Dale McPeters

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
My comment was aimed at using inferior parts from Pro-Comp.
Unless Pro-Comp's quality/materials and craftsmanship have improved you can bet that I will "NOT" be using it in my 363 dart motor.....

Keep us updated on the gear longevity that they supplied for the EPM. I am interested to see how well it wears and how long it lasts.

Dale McPeters
well just took my motor apart b/c of lifter issues and found the bronze gear ate up. The oil pump could have caused the bronze gear to wear but we're not sure. I run a titan pump which is harder to turn than your normal pumps. The oil filter caught all of the bronze so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
588 Posts
well just took my motor apart b/c of lifter issues and found the bronze gear ate up. The oil pump could have caused the bronze gear to wear but we're not sure. I run a titan pump which is harder to turn than your normal pumps. The oil filter caught all of the bronze so its not a big deal.
That is not good at all. Does not seem to have lasted very long.

I think I am going to stick with the stock style distributor and steel/bronze gears from Comp Cams/MSD.

Or find a lathe....:D

Dale

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
That is not good at all. Does not seem to have lasted very long.

I think I am going to stick with the stock style distributor and steel/bronze gears from Comp Cams/MSD.

Or find a lathe....:D

Dale
It is definately possible to modify the emp to accept a stock style gear...i may do that later.

I plan on callin pro comp this afternoon to investigate the composition of the bronze material and compare it with a comp/crane gear.

Hell it may be possible to send the Pro Comp gear to Crane/comp and get them to duplicate it using there material.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is definately possible to modify the emp to accept a stock style gear...i may do that later.

I plan on callin pro comp this afternoon to investigate the composition of the bronze material and compare it with a comp/crane gear.

Hell it may be possible to send the Pro Comp gear to Crane/comp and get them to duplicate it using there material.
I wanted to swap over to the epm next spring to gain a little room in front of the intake but I was afraid that the Pro-Comp gears would not last long. The reason I have not swapped over yet......

Can you post a picture of the shaft/gear end and pickup end so I can see what would be involved in modifying the shaft to use a regular type gear from Comp Cams?

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I wanted to swap over to the epm next spring to gain a little room in front of the intake but I was afraid that the Pro-Comp gears would not last long. The reason I have not swapped over yet......

Can you post a picture of the shaft/gear end and pickup end so I can see what would be involved in modifying the shaft to use a regular type gear from Comp Cams?

Thanks,
Dale
well i ordered a new gear and took the car on its maiden voyage in Daytona last Friday. Drove the car about 70 miles on during the trip with no problems. Took the gear out and its still chewed up.

Gonna start fabbing the new dizzy shaft very soon. Im kinda burned out on the car right now. We slept 6 hours in 2 days putting the car together for teh turkey run.

·
Registered
588 Posts
well i ordered a new gear and took the car on its maiden voyage in Daytona last Friday. Drove the car about 70 miles on during the trip with no problems. Took the gear out and its still chewed up.

Gonna start fabbing the new dizzy shaft very soon. Im kinda burned out on the car right now. We slept 6 hours in 2 days putting the car together for teh turkey run.
Did they ever say what material they were using to make the gears out of? Aluminum bronze etc. etc.

What weight oil are you running? And is the titan pump that much harder to turn than something like a melling etc.?

I think I am going to just go ahead and put the crank trigger back on and use the dizzy as a cam sync. That will save me from all of the frustration. ;)

Dale

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I just pulled mine out and inspected it yesterday. Everything looks normal. The wear pattern is visible but not excessive in any way. I made quite a few passes so far with the EPM and bronze gear (approx 20) as well as a fair bit of idling time and cruizing (I don't tow the car after I make a pass its driven back to the pits every time. By the way I run the Melling high volume pump. I am also running 20W50 oil as recommended by my engine builder due to bearing clearances.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just pulled mine out and inspected it yesterday. Everything looks normal. The wear pattern is visible but not excessive in any way. I made quite a few passes so far with the EPM and bronze gear (approx 20) as well as a fair bit of idling time and cruizing (I don't tow the car after I make a pass its driven back to the pits every time. By the way I run the Melling high volume pump. I am also running 20W50 oil as recommended by my engine builder due to bearing clearances.
Well that is some good news. How many total miles do you think you have on it now?

That is one for the good and one for the bad....

I still think I am going to wait just a little while longer before I jump on the EPM band wagon though.

I did go back to a non-billet cam core though just in case. :D

Dale

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I'm going to run the steel gear supplied with the epm on my billet core solid roller. My cam guy rec'd a steel or bronze gear.

-Chris

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I'm going to run the steel gear supplied with the epm on my billet core solid roller. My cam guy rec'd a steel or bronze gear.

-Chris
You can't run it with a billet core cam, just call comp cams and ask them.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Did they ever say what material they were using to make the gears out of? Aluminum bronze etc. etc.

What weight oil are you running? And is the titan pump that much harder to turn than something like a melling etc.?

I think I am going to just go ahead and put the crank trigger back on and use the dizzy as a cam sync. That will save me from all of the frustration. ;)

Dale
Its just plain old Bronze 904 or something...i googled it at some point. My problems could be related to the highvolume/high pressure Titan pump i run, its harder to turn than ur ordinary spur gear pumps. Everyone's combo is a little bit different...mine is more unconventional than most so you may be ok with the gear.

Its a bit of fustration but the bronze gets picked up in the oil filter and doesnt damage bearings so its not a big deal. I already went through 2 gears.... drove it around 70 miles.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
The gear that comes with the EPM is a cast gear that is meant to work with OEM style camshafts. You can't run it with a billet core cam as it will eat it.

Ed at AEM told me it was steel, when i called last week.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ed at AEM told me it was steel, when i called last week.
You still can not use it with a billet core cam as it will destroy the gear....

If you are running a true billet cam you have to use their bronze distributor gear...

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I can run either according to my cam guy. (Jay Allen)

Brass is the "fit-all" material, but it has less durability....it may require periodic replacements. The steel gear compatibility would be specified by the cam manufacturer and the cam gear material.....check with the cam provider, their answer is the one that counts.

"I prefer bronze, it shows many things. But if your valve train is suspect it'll knock the bronze right out. Then you have guys running all over the internet claiming that bronze gears are not "streetable". The steel gear is infinitely more forgiving.

If you need or want something you never touch, you use steel.

If you need or want a barometer on how good you are, then use bronze."

From Jay

So for me this works out great, as I didn't want to mess with Proforms bronze gear for the EPM. I have been running a steel gear on my stock dizzy with this cam for sometime also.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I got an Ed Curtis cam made by Comp Cams....called them up last week they said run only a bronze.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can run either according to my cam guy. (Jay Allen)

Brass is the "fit-all" material, but it has less durability....it may require periodic replacements. The steel gear compatibility would be specified by the cam manufacturer and the cam gear material.....check with the cam provider, their answer is the one that counts.

"I prefer bronze, it shows many things. But if your valve train is suspect it'll knock the bronze right out. Then you have guys running all over the internet claiming that bronze gears are not "streetable". The steel gear is infinitely more forgiving.

If you need or want something you never touch, you use steel.

If you need or want a barometer on how good you are, then use bronze."

From Jay

So for me this works out great, as I didn't want to mess with Proforms bronze gear for the EPM. I have been running a steel gear on my stock dizzy with this cam for sometime also.
Well all I can say is that the last two billet core cams that Jay ground for Lee and I were spec'd for aluminum/bronze distributor gears by Jay Allen himself. One was for a 418 and one for a 347.

Did Jay have them grind you a true billet core cam? What kind of core was used SADI (ductile iron) core or a Billet steel core? This will dictate the type of gear used.

I would email Jay Allen again just to make sure because he normally does not do a SADI core unless it is requested by the customer...

Dale McPeters

41 - 60 of 80 Posts