Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have had outstanding results with the AEM system in my car for the last two years until I started getting timing errors all of a sudden. After doing the research, a lot of people were going to the EPM system with coil on plug. I just finished getting my car running with the new setup and it runs like never before. Outstanding idle quality and throttle response with smooth crisp pulls at the track so far. The AEM system has so many options such as boost control, nitrous control, two step / multiple rev limiters , individual cylinder tuning, internal and external datalogging etc etc. So those of you who trash talk the system, you obviously were doing something wrong or had the wrong person tuning it.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
I have had outstanding results with the AEM system in my car for the last two years until I started getting timing errors all of a sudden. After doing the research, a lot of people were going to the EPM system with coil on plug. I just finished getting my car running with the new setup and it runs like never before. Outstanding idle quality and throttle response with smooth crisp pulls at the track so far. The AEM system has so many options such as boost control, nitrous control, two step / multiple rev limiters , individual cylinder tuning, internal and external datalogging etc etc. So those of you who trash talk the system, you obviously were doing something wrong or had the wrong person tuning it.
your car is absolutely awesome!

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I agree with you to a certain extent. Start pricing a BS3 or FAST and they dont have some options that are standard with the AEM. Last time i priced a FAST with equivalent options it was well over 2k more like 2500 and you still gotta add 1000 for a boost controller and 700 for a msd 7531 with trac control. Granted the AEM boost soleniod may not be the greatest but i got it to work pretty good on my last setup and costs pennies compared to a 1000 boost controller and comes with trac control.

I had my aem for sale because tech told me running a mag pickup crank trigger would not be good idea with the AEM, but after getting the bronze gear i though i'd give them another chance and hopefully it'll be reliable and consistent. I only have 1g in the entire setup and it has endless options, hopefully i'll be able to take advantage of them.

Any vids of your car?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys, this last fri it ran an [email protected] 150 with a 1.38 soft 60ft and only 14psi. I let off the throttle before the 1000ft and it still ran wayyy faster than I expected at low boost. I need to try and dial the car in slower than 8.50 because of my cage right now. But I do plan on wicking it up in the next two weeks for the 1/8 mile to see what it can do. I am hoping for a 5.1x @ 140 plus at 20+ psi. I have lots of videos. I will try and post some links for you guys.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I am glad the AEM is working out for you. As far as doing something wrong, why is it almost everyone has timing errors? Are you saying you or your tuner did something wrong? Trust me I did everything. I bought a BRAND NEW NOS harness for my car, BRAND NEW FORD EVERYTHING dist, grds etc... I was going to switch over to a crank trigger but said screw it I'm done. The timing error issue is a real one with the AEM. AEM says if everything isn't "perfect" the AEM won't fire. That's BS IMHO. No other system has that problem, why does AEM????

The AEM does have a lot of features but there are other ECU's that do the same and more.

The AEM crowd is basically looking for a plug and play setup that is reasonibly priced, that's why I bought it. But by the time you buy the coil packs and EPM the price and install are just about what other S/A ECU's cost.

You car is flat out flying!!!!! The motor in you have listed in the one you are still running? How much does you car weigh?

Also let me ask you this because I am curious: Why did you go the EPM route over a crank trigger setup? The crank trigger is superior IMO.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I forgot what you told me you bought. Care to refresh my memory? :)
Autronic SM4. It will do more the AEM, Fast and DFI can do. If you want a quality ECU look at the Aussie stuff. The Vipec and Link are also good quality units. Just remember whatever you buy, make sure you can get support if needed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My car ran solid for 2 years and then all of a sudden it started getting timing errors. Tried 3 diff distributors and tfi modules, coils, plugs, wires, etc etc. with no luck. I was ready to give up on the system at that point until I came accross the EPM / COP setups. After reading up on that and hearing how after guys have made the switch and how good their cars ran, I decided to go ahead with it. I have to say, after doing the conversion my car has never started / revved , and driven better. The throttle response is so much crisper now and no sign of timing errors at all. When I talked to AEM tech regarding the EPM they highly recommended it and also told me that the system was originally designed to run with DIS style ignition system. They also told me that the OEM style distributor is no where near optimal due to the low resolution. So for those planning on making the swap, I highly recommend doing the EPM / COP conversion as well.

As far as my car goes. The engine is what is listed (nothing too special) 331 Dart block with scat internals, solid roller custom grind blower cam, AFR (Box stock ) 185 cylinder heads, now with a Reichard racing rear entry intake to go with an in car air to water procharger 2000 hp intercooler netting 58degs IAT's so far. The car weighs 3025#'s with me in it at race weight. Not bad considering the I/C weighs 100#'s wet plus a 5 gallon water cell in the back. I plan on increasing the boost to 20+psi and getting the 60ft down still. Hoping for low 5's in the 1/8 @ 140+ MPH. Best it did last year was [email protected] 163 with a [email protected] in the 1/8

I am glad the AEM is working out for you. As far as doing something wrong, why is it almost everyone has timing errors? Are you saying you or your tuner did something wrong? Trust me I did everything. I bought a BRAND NEW NOS harness for my car, BRAND NEW FORD EVERYTHING dist, grds etc... I was going to switch over to a crank trigger but said screw it I'm done. The timing error issue is a real one with the AEM. AEM says if everything isn't "perfect" the AEM won't fire. That's BS IMHO. No other system has that problem, why does AEM????

The AEM does have a lot of features but there are other ECU's that do the same and more.

The AEM crowd is basically looking for a plug and play setup that is reasonibly priced, that's why I bought it. But by the time you buy the coil packs and EPM the price and install are just about what other S/A ECU's cost.

You car is flat out flying!!!!! The motor in you have listed in the one you are still running? How much does you car weigh?

Also let me ask you this because I am curious: Why did you go the EPM route over a crank trigger setup? The crank trigger is superior IMO.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The way your car runs now is the way it should run off the dist/factory setup. When I switched ECU's even while running the stock dist setup I couldn't believe how much smoother the car ran and how crisp the exhaust tone was with no other changes. Running the AEM the exhaust sounded gargarled even just cruising around. BIG difference.

My friend has a very similiar setup as you but with a single 76mm turbo. 342, 8.5:1, FTI solid roller, OTB AFR 185's, OTB spyder intake. Last weekend in his 3290lb street car he ran an 9.0 @ 151mph on 275 DR's a 7mph head wind, 83* outside air with a so so 60ft time. He did that on 16psi running E85 and meth injection with full exhaust out the tailpipes. His IAT's were 170* which is smoking hot. He ran a best of 8.50 @ 163mph with 25psi and an open DP. That little GTS 76 gave everything it could LOL.

What turbos are you running?

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been running AEM for about 4 years now. I haven't had problems with timing errors and I've been running an old truck 351w distributor for over 10 years now. I did have intermittent problems due to grounding because I relocated my battery to the trunk and just grounded it to the chassis in the back. After re-wiring my grounds, write-up here, I haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
2rods sounds like you have it nailed down. I may come calling when I get mine started.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1038793&page=4

Post #128 shows the latest pic of everything. I love AEM EPM threads.
Right now I am stumped at t/b placement for Super Victor EFI.
Are you planning on mounting the TB at the rear? I decided to relocate my TB inside the car by making a 45 deg flange that bolts to the back of my reichard racing rear entry intake getting the throttle body inside just behind the firewall under the dash inside. Worked really good and looks super clean. No more throttle linkage / tps / iac to see. I will try and post of some pics of my install.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not a good pic but you get the idea

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I will get some more pics soon of the new setup with the COP system. That pic still has the dist in it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
2rods, that is baddass, pics of the COP setup would be great.

I am leaning towards a front mounted t/b and bring it and the cold side as close and tight to the EPM as I can to keep the stock hood.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts