Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my new EPM and am in the process of doing the COP conversion with LS2 coils. The wiring is almost complete now and I just went to go transfer my bronze distributor gear from my OEM distributor and put it onto the EPM. Well, turns out the EPM needs a different style gear with a longer shank as well as a different diameter. I called AEM and they told me they are in the process of developing a gear that will work on the aftermarket (billet in my case) cams. Has anyone ran a bronze gear with the EPM yet and how did they do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
So I just picked up my new EPM and am in the process of doing the COP conversion with LS2 coils. The wiring is almost complete now and I just went to go transfer my bronze distributor gear from my OEM distributor and put it onto the EPM. Well, turns out the EPM needs a different style gear with a longer shank as well as a different diameter. I called AEM and they told me they are in the process of developing a gear that will work on the aftermarket (billet in my case) cams. Has anyone ran a bronze gear with the EPM yet and how did they do it?
Thanks
AEM is ####ing clueless when it comes to domestic applications. I talked to them a few months ago about this issue and they didnt know why we needed a bronze gear.

I have a plan, but its a bit involved. Gonna take a stock 351w dizzy shaft. Cut the top off, put it in a lathe and get the correct diameter to fit into the AEM billet case....but im gonna retain the stock diameter gear, so do not cut the shaft all the way down. Then some machining on the top of the shaft to receive the EMP module and it should be done.

Im gonna attempt this in about a week.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i talked to them again today and apparently they have some gears that just came in. But they can't release anything until they are all measured and confirmed for size. I should know by mon sometime.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Well i talked to them again today and apparently they have some gears that just came in. But they can't release anything until they are all measured and confirmed for size. I should know by mon sometime.
sweet that should save me some time!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Any word as to wither or not any gears have shipped yet?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will be getting more gears shortly. I got a prototype, and so far so good. I will be running it at the track next weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
glad to hear this Alex!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad to hear this Alex!
Thanks Bob, it was a pain at first after finding out that the gear on the EPM is specifically designed for that application, but AEM provided great customer service and got me going fairly quickly. I just hope they get some more gears out to the rest of the guys asap.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
AEM said Pro Comp is making the gears and will be selling them. I ordered one last week for 15 bucks...i hope its the right one.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
AEM said Pro Comp is making the gears and will be selling them..

That's just what I want in a 8,000 dollar motor, a gear from a company know for making the crappiest of crap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
That's just what I want in a 8,000 dollar motor, a gear from a company know for making the crappiest of crap. :rolleyes:
i got a 20k motor so dont feel so bad :lol:. I will be checking the mofo constantly.

The other plan is like i described. Get a stock dizzy shaft, put on lathe, reduce diameter to fit into the aem emp but keep gear diameter the same...therefore u can use off the shelf bronze gear.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
got the cam gear tonight! Its made by Procomp Electronics out of Canada. Part number PC1084 for sbf. One major piece of the puzzle solved!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aren't they in Ontario California ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wonder why they did not get comp cams, tri-tec or another reputable company to make the gears for the EPM?

Pro-Comp just sucks ### from what few parts of theirs that I have seen...:rolleyes:

Dale

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I wonder why they did not get comp cams or another reputable company to make the gears for the EPM?

Pro-Comp just sucks ### from what few parts of theirs that I have seen...:rolleyes:

Dale

Just another cheap company trying to cut corners everywhere. Quaility shouldn't be one of them IMO.

Here is another reason not to run an AEM. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just another cheap company trying to cut corners everywhere. Quaility shouldn't be one of them IMO.

Here is another reason not to run an AEM. :cool:
Well I can tell you if they keep going down this road there will be a Fast-XFI in place of the AEM for the '93 cobra.......

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Well I can tell you if they keep going down this road there will be a Fast-XFI in place of the AEM for the '93 cobra.......
I ditched mine over 2 years ago and never looked back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked up an Autronic and sold my AEM. I didn't know how bad my AEM was until I ran the car with the Autronic. IMO I wouldn't put a free AEM system on my lawnmower.....it would probably misfire and cutout half way through.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts