Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Mustang GT. Was Auto, Converted to Manual. Changed the bad T-45 out for a TR3650 a year ago.

I got it up on ramps and the damn thing is still too low to really get under it. I pulled the clutch cable cover and i dont see any grinding marks on the bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, shaft, bearing or fork and no metal shavings in the bellhousing. Starter is still tight, Trans is still tight, All the bolts look tight on the pressure plate. I pulled the cable off and spun the throw-out bearing and its smooth. It makes no sounds when applied that a typical throw-out bearing would make. I looked as best as i could at the driveshaft and didnt see any clean ground areas, still rusty all over.

The way its happening has me completely confused as does the sound itself. The sound is super loud, sounds like really light metal being hit hard by a thin grinding disc mixed with nails on a chalk board and its abrupt. You hit a bump and its gone as quick as it came. Hit the gas and its on until you let off but seemingly random when it happens.

When it was the worst its ever been one single time, Clutch in or out didnt matter and Speed didnt matter with clutch in it changed with engine rpm yet its never been that bad since. I went over some bumps and it squawked over every one then i had the clutch in and hit really rough Rail Road Tracks and it didnt make a sound. I punched it fairly hard and it made no sound then i hit it half of that and it made the sound. It seems to be a lot louder over bumps than acceleration on average but not always. It is driving me nuts!

It started to only do it if i punched it around a corner. Then in a couple weeks it started doing it sometimes if i punched it in a straight line. Then a week later it started to do it over some bumps too. If i hold the gas down and let it squeal for a longer period of time it seems to get worse and might even start to cause a vibration until i shut it off and start it back up which almost resets it to the way it was before i forced it to do it.

It Chirps as i hit some bumps and not others but they are hard to hear on video, loud as hell outside the car. It can be tough to tell the difference between the squeal happening and the rasp of the exhaust. I marked the most notable that I could hear in the video:

0:13 Multiple Chirps
0:44 Not First but Last half of 2nd a touch in 3rd
1:21 Couple Neutral Clutch In Chirps
2:14 Really Loud In First * Most noticeable *

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmm... My gut says throw out bearing. Especially when you find no other visible issues.

It's been a long time since I had an issue but seem to remember one making noise but seemed to spin fine with no load applied to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... My gut says throw out bearing. Especially when you find no other visible issues.

It's been a long time since I had an issue but seem to remember one making noise but seemed to spin fine with no load applied to it.
I was thinking that too at first but the noise doesnt change clutch in or out. Also if i accelerate at an old mans pace and never hit bumps it never makes the noise. I would think if it was throw out bearing i should at the very least be able to change the sound of the noise by putting the clutch in and out. The other thing that makes me think that it isnt throw out bearing is the one bad time that it was growling really bad you could feel it through the floor, shifter, seat, etc. and i was coasting to a stop then came to a complete stop with zero change clutch in or out, in neutral or not.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A bad throw out bearing would not cause a vibration like you mention. I would drop the drive shaft and check the u-joints. Something fairly quick and easy to check. A loose joint would make more of a clunk but if it's tight and hard to move.

From your video I can just make out a noise but it's hard to tell from it where it is coming from.

Trying to think of other things that rotate that could do that. Front wheel hubs? Not sure if that would really cause a vibration. Especially from shifter. Had them fail on a '04 Ram and really didn't make any noise until they failed. Then it was pucker factory of a 1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts