Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Before I bought one, I'd go through the wiring one more time. Heavy red has power all the time? Heavy black to good ground? Small red has power with key on? Small black to coil negative? Small orange to coil positive?

If all of that is good, grounding the white wire should produce spark like described above at the coil wire. Coil wire needs to be connected to the coil. Other end metal terminal 1/2" from ground. Every time you ground the white wire, it should produce a spark.

Even then I would still try to borrow an OEM coil because your msd coil could be good. Wont know until the 6al is tested with a known good coil.
I have the coil wire on the coil and the other of the spark plugs 1/4 away from a ground and I'm tapping the white wire still nothing

·
Registered
377 Posts
Shouldn't be any spark plugs involved in this test. Just the other end of the coil wire 1/2" from ground and by other end I mean the metal part that snaps on the distributor cap.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Right.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do the same test with a known good coil. Factory stock coil is the most reliable if you know someone that has one laying around. Doesn't have to be anything special.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do the same test with a known good coil. Factory stock coil is the most reliable if you know someone that has one laying around. Doesn't have to be anything special.
Ok I'll ask a couple ppl tomorrow if I can borrow one and ill let you know what happens and I thank you for your time and help I really appreciate it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have a new coil and I did the tests again and I still have nothing my msd 6al box only flashing 5 times and stops

·
Registered
377 Posts
What do you mean by flashing 5 times? What is flashing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok. That's just the rev limiter verification. if you have done all the tests correctly and the coil you borrowed is good, this means the 6al is bad.

Curious, where are you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok. That's just the rev limiter verification. if you have done all the tests correctly and the coil you borrowed is good, this means the 6al is bad.

Curious, where are you?
I'm from Vancouver bc my 6al is new out of the box

Curious, where are you?
So can I ask does the 6almsd box need tack signal

·
Registered
377 Posts
It doesn't need tach signal to operate. You can completely disconnect the tach signal (gray wire) and it would work provided its wired correctly. New doesn't always mean good but I would be surprised if it was bad out of the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It doesn't need tach signal to operate. You can completely disconnect the tach signal (gray wire) and it would work provided its wired correctly. New doesn't always mean good but I would be surprised if it was bad out of the box.
Ok I'll buy another one and hope it's the problem I have the gray wire hooked up now think that can be the problem

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey 1st off I'd like to thank you for your time and help Ii just went over everything on my car and I now have spark I used the new coil thanks alot

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great news! Glad it's working now.

·
Registered
24,273 Posts
hold on.

you stated you already tried with a good known coil, and no spark

now it works with another coil...........what?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts