Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
wow nice pass, I would def work on your 60' get somewhere in the 1:40's and your low 11's and no other changes. Mph shows its making power.
I'm still new to driving an auto in a nice setup. How I load the converter is what I am working on. I need to try to leave off idle and stab it instead of building rpm and line pressure. It has all the grip it needs and just needs to hit the tires harder at the track.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
my car works best at just a little above idle. Sometimes idle works great depending on track prep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Further updates:

I have my LS2 back from the machine shop and here is the scoop. The block ended up needing a .005" bore to clean up the cylinders which required new pistons. I wanted to keep the originals to save money but oh well. JE pistons with a 5cc relief and a good ring set. Should give it somewhere around a 10.6-10.8 to 1 compression ratio. I haven't done the math yet but I will figure it up. Beyond that, I am using the stock rods after replacing one, resized with ARPs, ARP main studs, turned crank, line honed, new cam bearings, and cleaned.

So far the crank is in but I fear the small end of the rods may need to be honed to allow the new pins to slide through. Hopefully I get the shortblock assembled by the weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The engine is together and the car is running strong. I found a seperate issue that may have not been rod knock all along. Here are some pics from final assembly.

I went with ebay head studs (wasn't impressed with quality but I knew this going in)

Hughes flexplate and awesome Holley valve covers

Back in and running

So as I pulled the 5.3 I found what may have been my noise all along. A broken flexplate!

It must have happened at my last track outing which makes sense. As I inspected the 5.3 rod bearings I couldn't see any signs of knock which I feel confirms the flexplate being the culprit. I wanted to build the LS2 anyway so I wasn't too sad.

Overall I have a couple hundred miles on the LS2 and finally did some test hits and digs last night....holy mother of god the thing pulls! I officially lost 120 lbs off the nose and picked up probably 60 hp if I was estimating. I should be taking it to the track in 2 weeks and hopefully dyno it soon after. Very happy so far! Stay tuned for more updates!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I made it to the track with the new setup and almost came away with what I was hoping for. I knew I was going to go faster than 11.49 and didn't want to get kicked out right off the bat so I tried to make two 1/8th mile passes before trying for a full run. My first run started out stellar and I should have stayed in it.
1st pass:
1.546 60'
4.473 330'
6.938 1/8th @ 97.92 as I had let out already
9.126 1000'
The car hooked and went. It was on pace to go 10.80-90s
2nd pass I hot lapped it and tire pressure got too high and it blew them off. Cooled down and adjusted.
3rd pass:
1.789 60' as it spun a bit and I pedaled it
4.701 330'
7.149 1/8th @ 100.14 mph
9.272 1000'
11.078 @ 124 1/4 hitting the rev limited in 3rd for the last 150 feet.
UGH....so damn close. I wanted a 10 second slip so bad and could have had it on pass one.

Last track day is the 30th and I am thinking about trying it again. I really want that slip!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I finally did it! It is officially a 10 second car and I am pumped!! In preparation for the track I went ahead did the comp trunion upgrade for more rpm stability and raised the rev limiter to 7100 to get me through the traps in 3rd. After a 3 hour wait in line I made my single pass and the car clicked off a 10.763 @ 125.69! 1.532 60' off idle. 1/8th mile was 6.863 @ 100.66 mph. It was a great way to end the season. Now the car will stay as-is for a while while I build my motorcycle this winter. After that is done it will be time for power adders!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I finally did it! It is officially a 10 second car and I am pumped!! In preparation for the track I went ahead did the comp trunion upgrade for more rpm stability and raised the rev limiter to 7100 to get me through the traps in 3rd. After a 3 hour wait in line I made my single pass and the car clicked off a 10.763 @ 125.69! 1.532 60' off idle. 1/8th mile was 6.863 @ 100.66 mph. It was a great way to end the season. Now the car will stay as-is for a while while I build my motorcycle this winter. After that is done it will be time for power adders!
Congrats on the 10 sec slip!! I finally bought a notch myself (it's an 89 LX 4 cyl). I noticed in your 1st post of this thread that yours started out life as a LX 4 cyl with the 7.5 rear end (as mine currently has). I'm curious what vehicle you got the 8.8 rear end from? I've been researching a lot and there are tons of Fords that came with 8.8s, but it seems most are too wide. I'm hoping to fine a complete 8.8 rear end that I can just bolt in with minimal modifications. Also, you seem to be one of the only guys i've found who runs a PA Racing K member (most folks run the AJE). Are you happy with the PA Racing one? From looking at pictures and reading on their website, it appears they are high quality units. Anywho, thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Congrats on the 10 sec slip!! I finally bought a notch myself (it's an 89 LX 4 cyl). I noticed in your 1st post of this thread that yours started out life as a LX 4 cyl with the 7.5 rear end (as mine currently has). I'm curious what vehicle you got the 8.8 rear end from? I've been researching a lot and there are tons of Fords that came with 8.8s, but it seems most are too wide. I'm hoping to fine a complete 8.8 rear end that I can just bolt in with minimal modifications. Also, you seem to be one of the only guys i've found who runs a PA Racing K member (most folks run the AJE). Are you happy with the PA Racing one? From looking at pictures and reading on their website, it appears they are high quality units. Anywho, thanks for any info you can provide!
8.8 out of another Mustang is the only way to do it. Foxbody to 93 is stock length, SN95 is 3/4" longer per side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to mount my radiator like yours in this build but was wondering what's needed for it such as an extra pump ? A different filler method ? Thanks !

41 - 53 of 53 Posts