Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
TopNotchLSX: I love your car!! I'm looking to start a project and do something similar to yours. Do you mind saying how much you picked up the car for originally? I'm trying to figure out a good ballpark price to buy a non-running Fox (hatch or notch). Thank you!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
TopNotchLSX: I love your car!! I'm looking to start a project and do something similar to yours. Do you mind saying how much you picked up the car for originally? I'm trying to figure out a good ballpark price to buy a non-running Fox (hatch or notch). Thank you!!
Thank you! I bought mine for $500 but it wasn't easy to find because of the manual windows and lack of rust. Everybody seems to want a million bucks for crappy Foxes anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you! I bought mine for $500 but it wasn't easy to find because of the manual windows and lack of rust. Everybody seems to want a million bucks for crappy Foxes anymore.
Thanks! I found an '84 hatch on Craigslist with the stock 8.8 rear (no motor, trans, or seats) for $800. It has the '93 front clip. I haven't looked at it in person, so i'm unsure of the amount of rust. Assuming little to no rust & body in decent shape, does that sound like an ok price to you?

I really appreciate the feedback! I'm trying to learn as much as possible about all of this in preparation of doing a Fox build with a 5.3 & 4L60E (much like your build) :salute:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks! I found an '84 hatch on Craigslist with the stock 8.8 rear (no motor, trans, or seats) for $800. It has the '93 front clip. I haven't looked at it in person, so i'm unsure of the amount of rust. Assuming little to no rust & body in decent shape, does that sound like an ok price to you?

I really appreciate the feedback! I'm trying to learn as much as possible about all of this in preparation of doing a Fox build with a 5.3 & 4L60E (much like your build) :salute:
Sounds like a fair deal if it is a clean car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey TopNotchLSX,

I have a question about your transmission. Did you buy it stock (used) and then added all the goodies? (the full manual transgo HD3 kit, beast shell, band, Hughes frictions, corvette servo, and a Vigilante 3600 rpm converter), OR did you buy a trans with all the upgrades already installed? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a junkyard 4L60E & beef it up with similar parts to yours, or if I should buy a complete trans from a place like Performance Automotive & Transmission Center (PATC). I found them in a google search...I have no clue what kind of reputation they have in the LSx community, but their stuff looks really stout. 700R4, 700 Raptor Transmission from PATC, 700R4 4L60E 48RE 4L80E
Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Man that's a sweet build.. I'm doing mine as we speak... I also threw away the body harness that was behind the dash... Do you have the part number for the painless kit you used and what did you think of it?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this swap as well and was curious to see about the wiring also. Did you run the painless wiring for the whole car?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey TopNotchLSX,

I have a question about your transmission. Did you buy it stock (used) and then added all the goodies? (the full manual transgo HD3 kit, beast shell, band, Hughes frictions, corvette servo, and a Vigilante 3600 rpm converter), OR did you buy a trans with all the upgrades already installed? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a junkyard 4L60E & beef it up with similar parts to yours, or if I should buy a complete trans from a place like Performance Automotive & Transmission Center (PATC). I found them in a google search...I have no clue what kind of reputation they have in the LSx community, but their stuff looks really stout. 700R4, 700 Raptor Transmission from PATC, 700R4 4L60E 48RE 4L80E
Thanks for your help!!
I found a newer stock unit and added the goodies with help from a friend. Mine was a GM replacement that apparently had only 6000 miles on it. I couldn't pass up the deal I got for it and the converter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Man that's a sweet build.. I'm doing mine as we speak... I also threw away the body harness that was behind the dash... Do you have the part number for the painless kit you used and what did you think of it?
I used a universal 12 circuit kit from them. The wires are labeled but I struggled with it as I had never done anything like that. The instructions can only be so specific for a universal kit so you need every diagram you can find for your car to make it work. It was a learning experience to say the least. I believe Ron Fransis actually makes a Fox Body specific harness now which probably costs less as well. You may look into that.

If I was doing the car again, I would probably try to do it similar but maybe try a more vehicle specific harness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you re-use the Mustang gas tank or did you put in a fuel cell? Also, what fuel pump are you running?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
On my build I used the stock tank, its easy. You use a corvette filter which has a built in regulator set at 58psi and return fuel to your tank. Mounts right by the tank and you can even use "an" fittings made for our lines out of the tank. I used a 255 single pump and ran 11's and 10's with nitrous on the same fuel rail. Now I have a 340 and run 10's n/a but use a stand alone for nitrous and run real fast lol. My new build (turbo) I'm going to have 2 intank pumps using a cobra tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did you re-use the Mustang gas tank or did you put in a fuel cell? Also, what fuel pump are you running?

Thanks!!
As racin lsc said did you can use a corvette style filter/regulator combo that is easy to plumb. Beyond that I have a 255 in tank pump with a 1994-1995 sending unit which has a bigger outlet for reduced restriction. I ran a -6 line all the way forward to the factory LS1 rail which can support the power I need no problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As racin lsc said did you can use a corvette style filter/regulator combo that is easy to plumb. Beyond that I have a 255 in tank pump with a 1994-1995 sending unit which has a bigger outlet for reduced restriction. I ran a -6 line all the way forward to the factory LS1 rail which can support the power I need no problem.
Sweet; Thanks! (and thank you racin lsc).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have a few updates for the car. I made it to the track and got only a single decent run in. It was the cars first visit so I left easy to test it out. I mustered a 12.58 @ 108 mph with a 1.7 60'ft. Had more in it but as i said, that was my only decent run before the track went to ####.

I have a set of 3.90 gears ready to go in the car soon which should be a ton of fun.

The biggest news is that I just finished my cam swap last night. I bought a Tick custom grind and did the usual springs, pushrods, and seals. I also slapped on an LS6 intake to replace the LS1 unit. With everything I should have a very nice bump in the powaz! A rough video is below of the first start. Hopefully I can get it tuned soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpS_xzEBBM

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
new setup should be fast, just ordered a Tick cam for my new motor also. Martin is very well versed in LSX setups. good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some long overdue updates for everyone! I finally tuned the car with the new cam and intake combo and it runs its balls off. I had to set my shift light a ton earlier as it was revving so much quicker! I haven't dynoed it yet but the car did go 11.686 @ 116 with a 1.69 60". The reports are that it pulled the wheels which it sure felt like and really surprised some people.

I have been driving it hard and the 5.3 may have met its maker. I think the fact I used ARP rod bolts without re-sizing the rods and many visits to 6,500 rpm did it in. I has rod knock now which im not really mad about but just sad I didn't get to run it longer.

The GOOD news is that I have had a nice ls2 sitting in wait for a while and I plan to do a fresh rebuild with good rings and bearings on the factory rotating assembly. I already have ARP main studs for it and will use ARP for the rods as they will be machined. I will just swap over the 243 heads, cam, intake, and oil pan to make it pretty well just a stock LS2 with a cam. It will be 10.9-11 to 1 compression which will be awesome as well as the fact I will lose 100 lbs from the nose which will put me at 2,620 lbs with no other changes! I think 480 crank HP is not out of the question.

What are your thoughts? Any advice?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
wow nice pass, I would def work on your 60' get somewhere in the 1:40's and your low 11's and no other changes. Mph shows its making power.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts