Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replaced my Transmission, 94 Lightning. I see Monster Transmission has replacements for around $1600.00.
This seems to be about the average local rebuild price. Has anyone here used the Monster Transmission? Do they hold up like they say?

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
no personal experience, but their page looks like just some good marketing to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, Walmart has great marketing too, but I would never buy anything from them that I would have to depend on and cost $1600.00

·
Registered
408 Posts
If I were you, and are just looking for a stock type rebuild, I would find a reputable shop around you and have it done if the price is comparable. That way if you have an issue you can deal with someone face to face. If you are looking for a performance built trans, I would go to Paul Delpo (aka Punisher) over on our board, the NLOC.net. He builds one of the baddest E40d's around.It is what I run in my turbo truck. You also have BTS and a couple others, but your going to pay. My only other advice would to definitely get one of Pauls valve bodies, it will make your trucks trans act like it should with nice firm shifts and actually extend the life of the trans. He will also custom taylor the valve body to what your looking for shift wise. From a nice positive shift, to his full race which will snap your neck. PM me if you want any info. His v/b's aren't like a trans go shift kit, this is a real deal piece. One one the first and best mods I ever did.

Reactions: Tarheels1

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
lol, Walmart has great marketing too, but I would never buy anything from them that I would have to depend on and cost $1600.00
my thoughts exactly!

If I were you, and are just looking for a stock type rebuild, I would find a reputable shop around you and have it done if the price is comparable. That way if you have an issue you can deal with someone face to face. If you are looking for a performance built trans, I would go to Paul Delpo (aka Punisher) over on our board, the NLOC.net. He builds one of the baddest E40d's around.It is what I run in my turbo truck. You also have BTS and a couple others, but your going to pay. My only other advice would to definitely get one of Pauls valve bodies, it will make your trucks trans act like it should with nice firm shifts and actually extend the life of the trans. He will also custom taylor the valve body to what your looking for shift wise. From a nice positive shift, to his full race which will snap your neck. PM me if you want any info. His v/b's aren't like a trans go shift kit, this is a real deal piece. One one the first and best mods I ever did.
yes, i want a Punisher VB for my diesel tow pig BAD! he is the man!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Good luck with anything under $3000 if you want it to last and perform well. E4ODs are very expensive to rebuild properly. They have a lot of built in quirks and issues that need to be addressed. The parts cost a fortune (that is if you can find good used parts). Be prepared to spend at least around 400-500 just for a decent torque converter, then add in the parts cost for all the updates (i.e. planetaries, center support, pump, sprags, solenoid pack, MLPS, etc) and hope your existing parts are all in good shape. Proper valve body upgrades are critical with this transmission and most techs don't have a clue how to do them. The front pump also needs various updates and machining. If your lucky enough to live in a major city, call around to see if someone specializes in E4ODs and has a good word of mouth reputation, otherwise you'll likely have a 200 lb paper weight on your hands.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting it rebuilt local, lasted a year and failed :( I then brought it back, they rebuilt it again on warranty, and its been several month and it seems to be working fine. I did have the Transmission updated to 95 and beyond parts, spent about 3k the first time.
If it should fail again, I may just look at putting in a manual trans. For about 5k I probably could have went with a TKO Setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts