Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 GT Moates QH. Promaxx 180 70mm, T5, 3.08 for now, ported upper n lower stock intake 19 lb for n
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently just put promaxx heads, an e303 cam, new timing chain, new lifters, hardened pushrods, and Lunati rockers 1.6 ratio. Been doing my own mechanical work for 20 years now. No, I'm not certified, but know how to do almost anything to a pushrods mustang including screw it up.... Haha. I'm having a hell of a time just finding base time with spout out. It seems to my brain that all these changes could have easily thrown off the IAC valve setting or TPS to where it should be set to some other point? I'm not sure if I'm 180 out, plug gap change? Plz help. List of what and how to please guys...

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking or what your symptoms are, but I'll give you a standard how to. Forgive me if you already know this.

This assumes that you installed the cam and timing chain correctly and have a good balancer on there that has an accurate zero degree relative to TDC piston travel. Aim for base timing with spout pulled to be 10 degrees BTDC.

Pull the number one spark plug and put your finger in the hole. Rotate the engine until your finger gets blown out of the spark plug hole. This is the compression stroke on number 1 piston. Rotate your engine until you read zero on the balancer pointer. This should be TDC on compression stroke.

make sure all plug wires are correctly run to appropriate plugs. Stab the distributor with the pointer toward the number 1 cap terminal when the distributor is fully seated into the block. Lightly snug the distributor hold down bolt (enough to limit free movement but still allow you to adjust the distributor clock by hand). Crank the car and verify timing to 10 BTDC using the timing light.

If you do all this correctly, it should start. AHeads/cam swap shouldn't throw off your setup enough to keep it from idling. That said, a base idle reset is a good thing to look into after you can get it to idle. (BASE IDLE RESET)
Obviously, put toe spout connector back in once you get it to idle at 10 degrees.

The SN95 EEC is not as forgiving as the older Fox models in terms of accepting mods without tuning. Changing the airflow in these cars usually necessitates tuning, FYI. Decipha at EFIDynotuning is a great resource.

·
Registered
22,793 Posts
Hey guys, recently just put promaxx heads, an e303 cam, new timing chain, new lifters, hardened pushrods, and Lunati rockers 1.6 ratio. Been doing my own mechanical work for 20 years now. No, I'm not certified, but know how to do almost anything to a pushrods mustang including screw it up.... Haha. I'm having a hell of a time just finding base time with spout out. It seems to my brain that all these changes could have easily thrown off the IAC valve setting or TPS to where it should be set to some other point? I'm not sure if I'm 180 out, plug gap change? Plz help. List of what and how to please guys...

your engine management system was not programmed to run with those modifications

you should have expected it not to run properly, if to run at all

but it sounds like you did not correctly install the distributor

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Base idle reset is for completely stock cars, for returning the throttle stop screw to the factory position.

It doesn’t work for modified cars, and it’s not a method for setting/changing the idle.

Warm the car up first, it will provide you the best opportunity to set base timing without the spout connected

·
Registered
95 GT Moates QH. Promaxx 180 70mm, T5, 3.08 for now, ported upper n lower stock intake 19 lb for n
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies guys. I do appreciate you taking time outta your day to do so. Update. I got the car running... TPS is going haywire on readings, car sounds like a stock car running on 6 or 7 cylinders. Could I be one gear off counter or clockwise on it. I mean I have the car starting now and staying running but roughly. I figured if I do need to take it somewhere it's better off in running condition than not? I'm gonna order a new TPS plug in and mass air plug because I know theyre needed especially after pulling engine off codes. Thanks again,
Justin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, guys by the way I do have a quarterhorse installed from dirtydirtyracing specific to my build. The car is now running roughly with the chip installed. FYI... Thanks again

·
Registered
22,793 Posts
then start logging the appropriate PIDs, you have a powerful tool

can see tps on the QH in real time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I recieved was the chip when I ordered it. If you could tell me what else I'll need as I'm new to the chip world. Would be appreciated. Thanks man

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You absolutely have to put a timing light on it to set the base timing. By your comments, it doesn’t sound like you have done that.

There’s no such thing as a tooth off, either you have enough rotation to reach the correct base timing or you don’t.

Is the quarterhorse recently installed with your mods? Did you clean the connection really really good? It’s imperative.

Datalog that sucker, you have a huge advantage with that ability

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the wiring is a little screwy so to start I'm gonna get new plugs for TPS and maf

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You need a usb cable to connect to quarterhorse to your computer. But you will need to install the software and drivers first, and handle the licensing if that wasn’t included in your purchase

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You absolutely have to put a timing light on it to set the base timing. By your comments, it doesn’t sound like you have done that.

There’s no such thing as a tooth off, either you have enough rotation to reach the correct base timing or you don’t.

Is the quarterhorse recently installed with your mods? Did you clean the connection really really good? It’s imperative.

I put the timing light on after dropping dizzy in and spout out. Only thing is I can't turn it down to 10 it wants to stall out. That's why I thought one mgear off right or left

So answer me this.... If I don't have enough rotation to set at 10 degrees base then what do I do?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
If you don’t have enough rotation then you have to restab the dizzy.

You have to do this on a warm engine to prevent stalling on a modified car. You may even have to temporarily open the throttle stop a little to keep it from stalling, NOT by turning the throttle stop screw, but by putting a shim in between there. I use a dime or penny, shouldn’t need more than that

·
Registered
22,793 Posts
YOU just have a chip?

no logging for you i guess............

should be a good lesson on its value

the tuner will most likely blame something with your install

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put the timing light on after dropping dizzy in and spout out. Only thing is I can't turn it down to 10 it wants to stall out. That's why I thought one mgear off right or left

So answer me this.... If I don't have enough rotation to set at 10 degrees base then what do I do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys. I reset the valves in a gentleman fashion and glad I did. Dropped in the dizzy and she came alive. Sounds great, great response and all. That was without the chip. Chip is in now though. Tighten up a couple loose ends tomm before the test drive. But man I do love these heads, cam and rockers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boy you hit that nail right on the head:LOL:

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Maxxed95 if you need some guidance on your tune and working with the quarterhorse I’d be happy to hop on a web session with you this weekend and show you the ropes. I’ve got a pretty good methodology for teaching this stuff to new users, and really enjoy helping out. Shoot me an email at [email protected] with your info and we can link up. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts