Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don’t understand why you would take issue with a company allowing people to try and save some money.

You’re comparing apples to oranges here. Inspections and fabrication are worlds apart.
They may be worlds apart but they both require diligence. And I’m not going to up charge for it

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
They may be worlds apart but they both require diligence. And I’m not going to up charge for it
A weld is intended to weld two parts together, period. Making it look pretty isn't diligence, it's vanity and/or pride, of the owner or you.

I appreciate this thread and the pictured quality welds. I understand the weld process and intent, I would perform an "inspection" myself on the flange mating surfaces and seams, plus the collector welds. That is where the flange and head must seal properly to not have any leaks.

I am still a ways from installing my 347, and long tubes would be ideal for my street car, 1 5/8" most likely would fit the best. But I'm open to alternatives, better choices, I try keep an eye out for what's new information or parts.

Reactions: Carpenter78

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I do inspections for a living. I can provide a good inspection with the low setting on my flashlight. Does that mean I should charge extra for turning my flashlight on high?
Does putting the flashlight on high then require you to take more time to complete said inspection? If it does, would you then add more cost to the inspection as "time is money" in business?

The analogy, as stated, strikes me as a little off target.

If a good weld can be done in X time and a good AND pretty weld takes X+ time, why wouldn't any business be justified in charging more for good AND pretty? It is more labor and may also even add a bit more material cost.

·
Old timer
6,000 Posts
:cool:

:unsure:

·
USAF retired
9,197 Posts
not sure I’d buy parts from a company that charges extra just for diligence...
I think the welds are pretty good, they've been on and off my car numerous times, no leaks or any other issues after close to 12 years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Beautiful welding beads are great to look at, and we can do it if anyone wants. But they take much more time to do and "time is money" (the customers money in this case). We use heavy wall tubing which means we need deep penetration welds. We don't want them to leak and we don't want them to break. Laying down pretty beads bumps up the cost, in some case by as much as double, and there is no actual benefit, other than cosmetics. But if the cosmetics are important to you, the costs difference is ilisted in the OPTIONS section on our website www.rciheaders.com
i wasnt aware that laying down good beads took anymore time than just welding a normal bead. Its a matter of skill and taking pride in your work. That why Ron Davis requires so much before letting people weld on his radiators, they have to meet certain requirements for months just to be certified to weld on consumer products. And Id bet his welders dont take much longer than another, they are just skilled enough to do their work with quality.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Not a fair comparison. Aluminum welding is much more important to get looking aesthetic because aluminum pieces are almost always more visible and need to look better.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i wasnt aware that laying down good beads took anymore time than just welding a normal bead. Its a matter of skill and taking pride in your work. That why Ron Davis requires so much before letting people weld on his radiators, they have to meet certain requirements for months just to be certified to weld on consumer products. And Id bet his welders dont take much longer than another, they are just skilled enough to do their work with quality.
Tig welding absolutely take much longer than mig. Anybody (almost) can run a mig gun, but a good tig guy will cost you more.

·
Registered
1993 LX, 3.5" stroke carbed 351w 11R190 heads
27 Posts
I work around Journeyman Pipe Fitters, Boilermakers, and legitimate craftsmen that weld as a living. A big percentage of these craftsmen and women take great pride in laying the best bead possible. A welder is a welder. I completely understand why a TIG welded header costs more. I'm surprised the difference in cost isn't more. It's the root pass that matters! Lol

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
This is an apple to orange comparision. Ron Davis is one of the most costly radiator companies, definitely up there. I just purchased one of his radiators and it is a piece of art. He is very proud of his products, and his prices reflect it. On that note, I'm very happy with it and would go back to his company if I ever needed another radiator.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has this been your personal experience? I ask because I've considered these headers.
Yeah, very recently too. Sadly, we didn't find out about the welds until after ceramic coating the headers and firing up the car. It was audibly obvious at that point. Both people we spoke with at RCI reneged on their agreement to send us a new set and ultimately decided that they were doing us a "favor" by making things right. They cussed and yelled on the phone during one of the most unprofessional calls my mechanic has ever been a part of. We ended up having my shop grind off the coating, fix the welds and have them recoated. We both agreed that we didn't trust RCI to do the right thing.

While I think the idea is outstanding, I can't personally recommend going this route.

Here are the pictures of where my shop had to make the repairs.
imagejpeg_0003.jpg
imagejpeg_1001.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got a set. Overall I’m happy with them. They did have welding wire still hanging off them. Not a big deal for me to clean them up, but I too thought to myself why the hell did they let them leave their shop like that.

I got them ceramic coated and they look really good now.

I had to get a MM steering shaft, my stock one hit them. I don’t sweat stuff like this since I’ve modified the hell out of the car I don’t expect things to go perfect.

I haven’t finished the exhaust yet but I don’t think they seal well on the head. I used MLS gaskets, I think I’m going to have to use a thicker gasket. I won’t know until the exhaust is complete.

Just a real world review...

·
USAF retired
9,197 Posts
I had to get a MM steering shaft, my stock one hit them. I don’t sweat stuff like this since I’ve modified the hell out of the car I don’t expect things to go perfect.
I haven’t finished the exhaust yet but I don’t think they seal well on the head. I used MLS gaskets, I think I’m going to have to use a thicker gasket. I won’t know until the exhaust is complete.
Just a real world review...
There's no such thing as a bolt on part...LOL!!
Try FelPro 1415gaskets, used them on mine with no issues, sometimes even reused with a skin of orange RTV.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The cost savings difference in making quality welds is in the person laying down the bead. The time it takes to do so is negligible.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i had rci make me a set around a year or so ago.they fit pretty nice with a small massaging on the passenger header.were they cheap?no but they fit because other than kooks they dont make an off shelf header and they were definitly cheaper than kooks as well.i wouldnt hesitate to have them make another set if needed.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Reactions: petmotel

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I do inspections for a living. I can provide a good inspection with the low setting on my flashlight. Does that mean I should charge extra for turning my flashlight on high?
Add to cost of tig vs mig - pure Argon shielding gas, back purging tubing (optional), more labor and operator skill, greater risk of warping material.

It takes a lot more effort (and cost) to tig weld vs mig weld headers than turning a flashlight from low to high. What an irrelevant comparison...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Add to cost of tig vs mig - pure Argon shielding gas, back purging tubing (optional), more labor and operator skill, greater risk of warping material.

It takes a lot more effort (and cost) to tig weld vs mig weld headers than turning a flashlight from low to high. What an irrelevant comparison...
You’re right. In hindsight that was a poor argument on my part. I’m still not paying extra for nice welds. I’ll just buy headers from a company who produces quality parts start to finish

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.